DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Free Period Products
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Thu 26 Nov 13:23

I want to give the SG recognition for this initiative.

We have provided other hygiene products in public bathrooms since forever, so it really is a no-brainer that society should see period products in the same category as soap and loo roll and look to introduce them as standard necessities for a properly sanitary public bathroom.

Imagine if we all had to carry a wee bag of loo roll on the off-chance that we might get caught short on a night out, or if kids were missing school because their families couldn't afford hand soap for them to take.

As well as the practical impact for women in Scotland, the decision has sparked debates on the topic all over the world, which is a good thing for Scotland's image as a nation with its own path to tread.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Free Period Products
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 26 Nov 14:33

Yeah definitely a well played to the SG for this one and in fairness all the political parties that supported it.

I hadn't realised that the vote had passed at 112 for, none against, and one abstain so it was good to see all the parties provide backing for it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Thu 26 Nov 20:28

Monica Lennon , Labour MSP was behind this initiative and deserves recognition for her efforts
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 26 Nov 20:47

Great to see. I'd like to see more of this sort of thing. I've always felt that cheaper fruit and veg should be free to encourage healthier eating. Only charge for the more expensive stuff.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Thu 26 Nov 22:43

Quote:

jake89, Thu 26 Nov 20:47

Great to see. I'd like to see more of this sort of thing. I've always felt that cheaper fruit and veg should be free to encourage healthier eating. Only charge for the more expensive stuff.

There is so much fruit and veg wasted because it does not conform to the supermarket norm. It's either destroyed or used in pet food. As you say this could all be used and be either free or very cheap to food banks.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Fri 27 Nov 01:27

Quote:

Tenruh, Thu 26 Nov 20:28

Monica Lennon , Labour MSP was behind this initiative and deserves recognition for her efforts

She should absolutely be commended but is not above criticism in this either.

It was already SNP Policy to introduce this and they were working on it.
Monica Lennon introduced the bill for a few reasons.
1. She believes in it.
2. To make herself look good, she has previous claiming she has done something when others have done the ground work. In this case it was Gillian Martin who was working towards this.
3. To try and put the SNP in an awkward place in voting against their own policy.
Her original bill had a cost estimate of 9 million. ( Every bill introduced at Holyrood requires to be costed before it can be heard)
The free period products for schools Universities and other places they were available was already costing 11 million. Monica Lennons bill had a requirement for people to be issued with a card to claim free products. With this included the Scottish Government estimated the true cost would be around 22 million. Plus some people who needed free period products would be put off by requiring a card. Monica Lennon thought she could get one over the SNP here but they called her bluff with the intention of getting the need for cards removed in the second reading. (I don't know how that went, will need to look into it.)

So it's probably happened quicker than it would have, which is a good thing but her bill and the shamabolic or perhaps deliberately wrong costing, together with the utterly stupid card idea show her to be either incompetent or very devious in trying to put the SNP in a difficult situation.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Nov 07:19

The true genesis of this is in the Third Sector and how the work of individual charities and individual workers was formalised within the charity sector and, in stages, taken on board by the SG.

For instance as far back as 2014 Souper Saturday established a small network of partners who provide us with period products to distribute to our guests. This was successful enough that we were able to pass some on to another organisation who ran the Fare Share food distribution franchise in East Central Scotland. Before long Fare Share was distributing boxes of tampons and pads to organisations all over Scotland and there was a proper debate with data and politicians paying attention.

Of course there are charities and individuals doing similar things in other countries, so it is to Scotland's credit that we are the first country to bring it in-house and spark a global debate.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 28 Nov 02:06

Quote:

Tenruh, Thu 26 Nov 20:28

A Labour party member doing something that benefits even the poorest members of society, well I never. Surprised they didn't abstain
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Parfect68  
Date:   Sat 28 Nov 09:15

Quote:

Wotsit, Fri 27 Nov 07:19

The true genesis of this is in the Third Sector and how the work of individual charities and individual workers was formalised within the charity sector and, in stages, taken on board by the SG.

For instance as far back as 2014 Souper Saturday established a small network of partners who provide us with period products to distribute to our guests. This was successful enough that we were able to pass some on to another organisation who ran the Fare Share food distribution franchise in East Central Scotland. Before long Fare Share was distributing boxes of tampons and pads to organisations all over Scotland and there was a proper debate with data and politicians paying attention.

Of course there are charities and individuals doing similar things in other countries, so it is to Scotland's credit that we are the first country to bring it in-house and spark a global debate.

This. Hopefully signs of a progressive nation where we collectively care for all but especially the most vulnerable. Where, what seem small, practical, insignificant issues can be adopted on a national scale for the greater good. Even if it helps overcome the stigma felt by teenagers and adults alike or normalise discussion of periods and associated issues instead of being taboo subjects, ditto for menopause.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 28 Nov 10:25

One time I was on the bus with two carrier bags full to the brim with tampons and pads and somebody dropped a tub of tomato soup on the floor of the bus, spilling it everywhere.

My first thought was "I have the very thing for that"

Thankfully I was wise enough not to offer my services - they are one of the very few absorbent products which wouldn`t have been welcome in that situation which, looking back, I now think is pretty weird when you think about it.

If it was the fact that the intended purpose was a bit embarrassing I could understand - bodily functions are not ideal bus chat.

What shows that it`s not that simple though was that the mess was cleared up by the soup dropper getting a pack of loo roll out and using that.

Surely periods aren`t, objectively, more disgusting than s*** though? I`d say that it was equal - both are towards the far end of the disgusting scale for most folk.

So why are tampons even less socially normal than the stuff we literally use to wipe s***e off our backsides? Why did I feel that I would be perceived as a massive creepazoid if I whipped out a pack of panty-liners to mop up a soup spill, yet it would be pretty normal to hand over a bog roll in the same situation?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 28 Nov 11:44

I suppose it's a bit like how you wouldn't hand a child wanting to make water balloons a 12 pack of Durex 😂

Anything reproductive related is a bit taboo.

What I don't understand is what's in some sanitary towels that justifies the price.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net