DAFC.net
Home 16 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Brexit
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 29 Jul 11:01

Very little publicity on the fact that Northern Ireland students will be accepted and financed in the EU Erasmus Scheme.

Does not affect me but will certainly concern my grandchildren, interesting that Braverman was one such result of this Scheme!

Didn`t teach her humility, mind you!🤔
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Brexit
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Sat 29 Jul 13:06

Meanwhile Scottish students struggle to get a place at home…

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sat 29 Jul 13:28

Quote:

Parboiled, Sat 29 Jul 13:06

Meanwhile Scottish students struggle to get a place at home…

They really don`t 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 29 Jul 13:29

Not really. The bigger struggle for Scottish students right now is accommodation.

And ridiculous that N.Ireland gets a deal again. Thanks, England.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 29 Jul 16:38

A quick meander on the web does show highly qualified home grown applicants losing out because of the need to keep the fees rolling in from English and overseas students…?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 29 Jul 16:58

Commonly known as the "Oh yahs" when my daughter was at Uni over 15yrs ago!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sat 29 Jul 17:07

We’ll all 3 off mine got in no probs, youngest last year

As said above, biggest issue by far is accommodation

Post Edited (Sat 29 Jul 17:07)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Sat 29 Jul 17:08

Quote:

Parboiled, Sat 29 Jul 16:38

A quick meander on the web does show highly qualified home grown applicants losing out because of the need to keep the fees rolling in from English and overseas students…?

You`re needing a longer meander.........
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Bletchley_Par  
Date:   Sat 29 Jul 17:42

Erasmus good, Turing better.

What`s the Turing Scheme?

The Turing Scheme is a new UK Government programme to promote international opportunities for students. Announced after Brexit as a replacement for the Erasmus programme, it will fund work or study abroad placements for more than 40,000 students from September 2021 onwards.

Over 120 universities plus further education colleges and schools from across the UK have successfully bid for grants from the Turing Scheme. University students will benefit from 28,000 placements in 2021/22 compared to 18,300 under Erasmus+ in 2018/19, although placement lengths may be shorter.

A key aim of the government is to open up international experience to a wider range of students, with around 48% of places expected to go to students from disadvantaged backgrounds.

The scheme is named after Alan Turing, the computer pioneer best known for breaking the Enigma code in World War II, whose own international experience included study at Princetown University in the USA.

Turing Scheme vs. Erasmus
How is the Turing Scheme different from Erasmus? Well, unlike Erasmus, the Turing Scheme:

Won’t bring students to the UK – it isn’t an exchange scheme.

Won’t fund staff training visits to other EU universities.

Will only apply to students in the UK’s educational system.

Will open up opportunities to other international destinations.

Will include short placements as well as placements of up to a year.

Historically, the take-up of overseas opportunities by UK students has been low. Erasmus also offered education staff short visits to broaden their experience so teaching staff could develop new skills or ideas, or admin staff improve upon support systems. Instead, with the Turing Scheme, only students in UK education will be able to take up opportunities to study or work abroad.

However, by not being restricted to the nations participating in Erasmus, the Turing Scheme could open up opportunities across the globe – as well as to more English-speaking nations. Also, while the minimum Erasmus exchange is three months, Turing Scheme placements can be as short as four weeks, which could open up participation for more students.

Students from disadvantaged backgrounds, who were the least likely to take up an overseas opportunity with Erasmus, are offered extra support through the Turing Scheme.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 29 Jul 17:52

So 90 day restrictions will not apply?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sat 29 Jul 18:31

Quote:

DBP, Sat 29 Jul 17:07

Our experience too. My son was all set to apply to Glasgow this year but it seemed that the remote chance of getting accommodation were not worth the risk so he`s going to Edinburgh instead.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 29 Jul 21:08

Quote:

JTH123, Sat 29 Jul 18:31

Quote:

DBP, Sat 29 Jul 17:07

Our experience too. My son was all set to apply to Glasgow this year but it seemed that the remote chance of getting accommodation were not worth the risk so he`s going to Edinburgh instead.

No, but it was reported using very questionable data and opinion as fact so it MUST be true.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sat 29 Jul 21:24

Yeah we had real difficulty last year getting accommodation sorted… really lucky to find a share in end.
The place she’s at, had over 100 applications, they had 10 group viewings, spoke to 6 potential ones and thankfully they offered her and her friends the place… in fairness, they’re all nice, well presented and speak nicely which I think swayed it for them

Post Edited (Sat 29 Jul 21:25)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Mon 31 Jul 07:00

The Turing system?

So, essentially, the UK has had to establish its own inferior copy of the ERASMUS system at greater cost in poor attempt at a face-saving exercise?

As a former academic and qualified teacher, the Turing system is laughable and disgraces the name of the man it takes its name from. All it does in reality is highlight the chronic failure of the UK to invest in Education and R&D over the last decades.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 31 Jul 09:57

Does Turing include the USA? Most of the best Unis in the world are there and the Uk are they not?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 31 Jul 12:21

The Turing system has pros and cons when compared to Erasmus. I wouldn`t say it`s good or bad as it`s more "meh".

Agree it shouldn`t be named after Alan Turing, but Bletchley will be biased on that one 😉
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Aug 12:28

And BJ said that there would be no paperwork!

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/they-are-putting-every-kind-of-obstacle-in-the-way-irish-hauliers-complain-over-surprise-customs-checks-in-uk/a1466847797.html
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 1 Aug 13:46

Quote:

jake89, Mon 31 Jul 12:21

The Turing system has pros and cons when compared to Erasmus. I wouldn`t say it`s good or bad as it`s more "meh".

Agree it shouldn`t be named after Alan Turing, but Bletchley will be biased on that one 😉

Surely it not named after Alan Turing, The guy was a convicted criminal
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Aug 19:34

Quote:

red-star-par, Tue 1 Aug 13:46

Quote:

He was also pardoned 10 years ago...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Tue 1 Aug 19:41

Quote:

Quote:

Wasn`t he a criminal simply due to his sexuality? If you think that`s a crime then get yourself punted into the Atlantic
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 1 Aug 19:45

Quote:

Andrew283, Tue 1 Aug 19:41

Quote:

Quote:

Wasn`t he a criminal simply due to his sexuality? If you think that`s a crime then get yourself punted into the Atlantic

It was a crime at the time, which he was well aware of. He was a 40 odd year old soliciting sex from teenage boys
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 1 Aug 22:45

There are a number of sources which indicate Turing had a sexual interest in teenage boys. These are from his own letters, from recollected conversations with friends and in one case from a 12 year old Jewish boy whom Turing had ‘adopted’ when the boy fled Vienna during Nazi rule. There are claims he made clear his sexual interest to boys and one claim- highly disputed- that he attempted to force his attentions on two schoolboys in a Luton Public Library.

However the legal position remains his sole conviction in 1952 for engaging in ‘gross indecency’ with a 19 year old man he had known for little more than a month, something he volunteered to police investigating a burglary at the time. That conviction has since been overturned although not on a point of law.

Although little known to the wider public in his lifetime, Turing has become an important figure in the UK’s historical narrative. Our military activities were limited for much of WW2 so Turing has become the man who ‘shortened the war by two years and saved two million lives.’ This might well be true: or maybe he helped shorten the war by two months and saved two thousand lives. He also fills the role of the ‘boffin’ in UK culture - the unworldly, rather odd scientist (I think his inclinations were anarcho-pacifist) who nonetheless serves his country at a time of war through groundbreaking work. And more recently he has been portrayed as a victim of homosexual persecution, a man driven to suicide due to the prejudices of his time.

Apparently the surname Turing, which I assumed to have a Germanic root, might actually derive from Gaelic. His grandfather was certainly Scottish and his middle name- Mathison -suggests a Scottish influence. Maybe the SNP should claim him as part of the Scottish genius. For there can surely be no dispute that Turing was a genius. His work was wide ranging and significant not only in his own time but has since been developed by those scientists inspired to follow in his footsteps. He had a truly remarkable mind.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Aug 10:09

Managing to squeeze the SNP into the narrative..a remarkable feat of verbal gymnastics sir!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 6 Aug 06:54

I believe that the Apple company`s symbol (with the missing bite) was chosen in memory of Turing`s suicide. I don`t expect we will ever know the exact circumstances behind his conviction and suicide, but there`s no doubt he lived in a less enlightened age. A homosexual relationship between consenting adults is one thing, however, one involving an adult and a young person is quite another.

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Sun 06 Aug 06:55)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Aug 07:16

Apple logo was inspired by Newton, not Turing.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 6 Aug 07:25

Quote:

jake89, Sun 6 Aug 07:16

Apple logo was inspired by Newton, not Turing.

I formed the impression from a film about Turing`s life, Jake. Here`s a link to an alternative, more controversial view :-

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/64049/did-alan-turing-inspire-apple-logo

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net