DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Shuggie Bain
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 7 May 18:53

Not sure why this book won the Booker prize ... unless I`m missing something ... My wife who read 2 or 3 books a week agree`s and a friend who started reading it last week said he is struggling with it

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Shuggie Bain
Topic Originator: GG741  
Date:   Mon 10 May 07:43

It is the book for this month in my wife`s book club; up for discussion and dissection on Wednesday. I`ll let you know the comments from that later in the week.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 13 May 07:30

I have finally managed to extract from my wife`s memory what others thought of the book, discussed at their book club meeting last night.
Most appeared to have liked it, but not to the extent that it was a worthy winner of the Booker. And that was from a mixture of Scottish and Australian readers, with both backgrounds probably providing a different point of assessment.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 13 May 19:07

Thanks GG741 ... I read most anything but mainly thrillers .... although The Denzil Meyrick DCI Daley books are superb set in fictional Kinloch based on Campbeltown .... I gave up on Shugie Bain after chapter 3 ... it is poorly written drivel .... only my opinion mind

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 14 May 02:39

And now the book has been awarded "Book of the Year".

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 14 May 08:39

Geezo GG741 .. I must really be missing something .. I think there are as many liked it as did not like it

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net