DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 City status
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 7 Sep 18:17

Often debated in terms of Dunfermline but appears we're going for it as part of some Queen event (royal Queen, not the band).

I think Dunfermline has a strong big, especially when you compare with the recently added Scottish cities. However, I did chuckle when I saw Greenock have tossed their hat in the ring.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: City status
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Tue 7 Sep 23:28

If we go for it, we will get it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 05:09

Dunfermline should absolutely get the nomination, given its rich history as the former capital, the resting place for seven kings and being the home of the splendid Abbey.

They used to say that in order to be a city you had to have a cathedral, though I am not sure that rule still applies. In terms of historical significance, Dunfermline Abbey would surely outrank most of the cathedrals in the land.

And in terms of size and population, Dunfermline is certainly comparable with the neighbouring cities of Perth and Stirling.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 06:20

Dunfermline is bigger than all three of the new cities. Inverness claims higher but that's because it's more "greater Inverness" so would be like Dunfermline including Rosyth.

A cathedral isn't required in Scotland.

It's certainly got a stronger bid that Greenock. Fairly sure Paisley put in a bid last time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 09:45

What is the benefit of Dunfermline becoming a city rather than a town?

Personally thought we already were deemed a city but we must have self declared ourselves as one?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 10:29

That is a good and fair question, Berry. Perhaps the additional status opens the door to more government funds/grants? It certainly would be interesting to find out.

I suspect that a perceived increased status is the fundamental benefit.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 10:42

In 2012, along with with Perth, Chelmsford and St Asaph also gained `City status` and I`m sure we can all agree it certainly put them on all our maps.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 11:48

according to the Royal Mail, Rosyth is part of Dunfermline, as is Dalgety Bay and probably a few other places

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 12:38

Paisley failed the previous two attempts so gave it a miss last time. They got criticised heavily for that so may well have another punt this time. Much bigger than us with an impressive Abbey, and a university, so we could lose out. Our history is our trump card hopefully. Oh and the Queen likes us.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 12:44

Certainly with as much royalty buried in the abbey, should sway it,surely.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 12:46

Anywhere can claim to be a city but that doesn't mean they are. Perth declared itself a city for years before it's official status being granted.

Some people see no benefit but it would give more of a focus on Dunfermline. There's a 7 City Alliance (or something like that) who meet and get additional funding to develop the cities. I believe they also get a seat at international events.

Whilst this all sounds like busy-work, it's about encouraging greater economic development, including tourism. People criticise Dunfermline and I totally accept the High Street is a mess, but the heritage in Dunfermline is tremendous. You've got this Abbey and City Chambers with a massive park on their doorstep. You've also got great museums, galleries and theatres. People in Dunfermline don't know how good they have it.

My only criticism of Dunfermline would be Fife Council. How many plans and studies have been done on improving the town centre only to be watered down dramatically. Years ago we were promised new paving on the high street and surrounding areas. All planned out in terms of the type of stone to be used. What's been done since? Some new signage. Okay, it's nice signage but the paving is a shocker as is all the cars in this pedestrianised area.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 12:52

Livingston has put a bid in. Not sure the Queen will consider "home to a big shopping centre" a good case. Their bid seems to be built around being bigger than Perth and Stirling.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 13:19

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Wed 8 Sep 10:42

In 2012, along with with Perth, Chelmsford and St Asaph also gained `City status` and I`m sure we can all agree it certainly put them on all our maps.

Dunfermline must be given city status if they gave it to a town(now a city) in 2012 that is an anagram of phat ass

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 15:52

I think I am one of the few folk I know who is disappointed with the museum. I dont think nearly enough has been done to promote our royal history. The display at the museum is educational but pathetic as a visual spectacle.

Also, one of the most important battles in Scottish history was fought in Inverkeithing and hardly anyone knows a jot about it.
There is a pathetic little cairn to mark the rough area.

Post Edited (Wed 08 Sep 15:54)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 16:55

I think the museum is a nice building but it's not that great in terms of contents.

Id ask the question, what could we do to tempt people to come to Dunfermline for the day over places like Stirling, St. Andrews, Perth, etc

I know it's a while ago, but before I moved here (20+ years ago) I used to go on day trips from Edinburgh to loads of places and never came to Dunfermline or even thought about it TBH...

In fact I lived in the bay for about 18 years and hardly ventured into the town - so we're clearly not selling the place or making the most of what we've got
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 17:33

Museum is a great building but agree not much about Dunfermline's history. In fairness, I think they swap things about.

Before we moved to Dunfermline my wife was the same DBP but she couldn't believe how nice the town was and the history. The in-laws were the same. When we moved here they started asking me all the "Did you know [some stupid fact about Dunfermline I assumed everyone knew]" or remarking how great the Glen or Abbey were. Same with pals when we'd come over for gigs at the Alhambra. Even since moving and taking friends out for dinner. My father-in-law chose to travel through to go to Jack O'Briens and was raving about.

People underestimate Dunfermline but no wonder when all the tourism for Fife is focussed on St Andrews. People hear city names and think they're a place to visit, not so true of towns.

Genuinely see no appeal around Perth unless it's to go into rural Perthshire, which is stunning.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 20:46

Dunfermline has always under sold itself. The town has Fantastic history.Why,have the time team,TV,program never visited?We are so negative about the town, even locals don't know half the history, perhaps, school education, is at fault there.When I was at school, early 60s and 70s,nothing was taught about local history. 1066,that was it .
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 22:45

The museum is pretty good, plenty of royal history in it in my opinion, despite what was mentioned above. Could probably do with being refreshed every so often. I was speaking to one of the guides there last week and she said she expected the main exhibition wouldn't change for the first 10 years. I guess for tourists to the town, it does what it needs to, and they have the 2 rooms off it, for the exhibitions that are changed regularly.
I actually went to the Andrew Carnegie Birthplace Museum last week and spen about 3 hours in the place, fairly fascinating story. Not much in the way of artifacts but plenty of reading.

We already are a City, but I guess we should really get it made official in the modern sense, it certainly won't do any harm. As mentioned above we have a lot we should be proud of in Dunfermline, but Fife Council seem determined to hold us back
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 22:54

Biggest problem regarding the Abbey is,the Victorians put a grave yard over the grounds. Thus,restricting,archaeological. research. Bloody clowns 😅.!

Post Edited (Wed 08 Sep 22:55)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 23:34

Quote:

red-star-par, Wed 8 Sep 22:45

The museum is pretty good, plenty of royal history in it in my opinion, despite what was mentioned above. Could probably do with being refreshed every so often. I was speaking to one of the guides there last week and she said she expected the main exhibition wouldn't change for the first 10 years. I guess for tourists to the town, it does what it needs to, and they have the 2 rooms off it, for the exhibitions that are changed regularly.
I actually went to the Andrew Carnegie Birthplace Museum last week and spen about 3 hours in the place, fairly fascinating story. Not much in the way of artifacts but plenty of reading.

We already are a City, but I guess we should really get it made official in the modern sense, it certainly won't do any harm. As mentioned above we have a lot we should be proud of in Dunfermline, but Fife Council seem determined to hold us back

There is a lot. As I said, it is educational, but hardly a spectacle. Cant see many youngsters stopping to listen to a video. We need something much more realistic and visual to give the topic justice.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Wed 8 Sep 23:42

The settled history of Dunfermline is dull as ditchwater as represented in any museum. The real history is far more inspiring.

Carnegie’s family, as weavers, would now be considered near anarchist by the likes of Keir Starmer who has made his peace with capital. There were moves to remove weapons from the Hill of Beath armoury and take control of Dunfermline as far as back as the mid 1880s. The Morrison family, to which Carnegie was attached, were part of that. Factory owners had their houses attacked and in one case burned down, on the outskirts of Dunfermline. It’s all there in the Carnegie library but you have to hunt for it. They won’t be teaching in it schools until after the revolution. Until them it will be ignored and when discovered called hooliganism or vandalism by those in power.

On Dunfermline, I have taken a number of visitors from Russia to see my home town and they are unanimous: it is absolutely beautiful. They cannot believe that a glen, donated by Carnegie, sits do close to the town centre. Most of them have heard of Carnegie by the way. They are entranced that to them a small Scottish ‘village’ has such a magnificent park. To them it is like dream. It’s like what the USSR promised.

Yet what has Dunfermline done with this legacy? Bugger all I think, since it was opened. They just prop it up and maintain it best they can, sucking off the teats of Carnegie’s investment to his home town. The last visionary in Dunfermline was Jock Stein. Neither of them lived here long.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Sep 08:41

The Glen is an interesting story when you start to question where the Carnegie Trust money went. Why did it need to be handed over to the council to be maintained?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Thu 9 Sep 11:55

There’s definitely a need to invest in improving our museum/abbey experiences.

The other side is, just make it a fun/eventful place to be.

Having the Alhambra & Carnegie Hall is a big sell, we have EEP if we can get a decent team going. We have some decent bars.

The town centre though is dire, shops closed down everywhere, just totally run down, we need to do something. We tend to go through to Livvy whenever we want to go shopping, granted though given the times shops are equally closing there as well.

We’ve got the Glen, can we not use it host more events/activities/days out for families etc.

Feels like we’ve got a lot going for us, but just not using to its full potential or promoting it well enough.

It’s also a shed load cheaper than Edinburgh.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Sep 12:43

Town centres are dead in terms of retail. Places like Livingston should be concerned. So much of their "town centre" is based solely around retail. There are few pubs and clubs there, people can't live there and Livingston doesn't really have anything for tourism.

The Centre in Livingston is primarily made up of big chains. We've seen so many of these big chains go over the past few years. This applies to both retail and restaurants.

Kirkcaldy is a great example of what can happen. Massive gaps as a result of Debenhams and BHS going bust and Next and McDonald's going out of town. The Postings looks likely to be knocked down and the Mercat is lucky is it's a third full. They have new owners so there may be some progress.

When people slag the town it's always about the shops and it makes no sense. Go to any town centre in the UK and it's the same.

Saying that, the council need to make the town centre attractive to people as a place to visit. To me, there are some easy actions:

1. Get rid of the disabled parking. I know this is controversial but the pedestrian zone is a joke. Alternative parking would need put in place but the current setup is farcical.

2. Offload the Co-op gap site. It's a mess as it is. Promote it for flats rather than retail/commercial.

3. Sort out the paving. It's old and tatty.

4. Actually promote the town as a destination!

The council can't control rents or who takes on a property but it would be good if they could charge landlords who are happy to leave properties empty.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Thu 9 Sep 20:53

The problem is we are not set up as a tourist destination.For example, look at how many Cruise ships come into Rosyth and everybody who comes ashore seems to be immediately carted off to Edinburgh!
Also being Owner of a Motorhome I see the severe lack of facilities for campers. Massive opportunity to capture people on a staycation trip,The nearest facility is Alloa or Glenrothes.

I’m sure others could add to the list.

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Sep 21:19

Cruise Forth run people up to the town from the cruise liners. They've been doing it for a good while. Edinburgh will always be a draw but start telling people about the all these kings and queens and Robert the Bruce and suddenly there's interest. This is what I mean, though, the promotion of Dunfermline is poor.

It was pointed out last year the Dunfermline.com was handed over to one of the heritage groups from Nationwide (it used to be the building society site) and they've done very little with it. The site is awful. VisitDunfermline is far better but you've basically got multiple groups collecting funding to promote the town but it all feels disjointed. VisitScotland does an awful job of pushing Dunfermline imo.

City status may improve things.

Just so long as Fife Council doesn't do another one of those awful Fife adverts.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net