DAFC.net
Home 17 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 What’s happened to McCann
Topic Originator: Kozmano1  
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 19:34

He just looks completely shot of confidence for me. I don’t think he has scored a goal since September, and nothing is coming off for him. I thought he started the season well, but he’s been poor for a while now

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What’s happened to McCann
Topic Originator: parsloyal98  
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 19:37

Never really had anything to lose. Has all the physical tools but no technical ability at all. An incredibly frustrating player who has failed to perform under various managers. A few bright performances but never managed to kick on from them

We love Dunfermline We do!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 87Par  
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 19:57

He strikes me as a player if we let him go he`ll play a blinder elsewhere. I want him around a bit longer yet. I`d be more questioning Josh Edwards` crossing at this point. Its infuriating.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 20:00

Flashes of brilliance (Hampden) then anonymous for a run of games.

Frustrating as he should be dominating opposing players with the physical attributes he has been blessed with but decision making and positioning seems to be a bit off it at times.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 20:02

Quote:

parsloyal98, Sat 6 Apr 19:37

Never really had anything to lose. Has all the physical tools but no technical ability at all. An incredibly frustrating player who has failed to perform under various managers. A few bright performances but never managed to kick on from them

Hey ,but we`re OK as we have Chalmers to be the scape goat. :):)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 20:04

Nothing, that’s what’s happened. Hardly improved at all.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alter Ego  
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 20:09

He needs a fresh start away from EEP under a different manager/team.
And if that team could teach him to header a ball they will gain a lot!

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par-timer  
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 20:15

No story here, like many others (O’Halloran, Fisher and yes, Chalmers) he has simply fallen out of favour temporarily after a relatively poor run of form. He did well coming on against Dundee United, was one of he best second half performers at Arbroath last week and showed some neat touches today. Clearly McPake has doubts about where he fits best into his system – he gets most selections on the left hand side of a front three although he is not a winger by any stretch of the imagination – but the guy is still only 22 and strikers are rarely the finished article at this level at that age.

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 20:27

Exactly and he needs a fresh start in a different team and no doubt he will start scoring goals..

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 20:32

Thought he did ok when he came on - unusually he actually won a number of headers but as a forward he really needs to attack the ball with his head.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 20:33

He is still young. Hopefully see better from him next season
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 20:41

The club needs to send the loan players back and get rid of some players that have 2 year contracts… Chalmers and Wighton have to go.

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 20:50

Can’t believe management team thought he was better option than todorov.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 20:54

O’halleron needs to go from EEP as he has done nothing…. Other teams fans said this and he’s just taking money and being injured! 2 year contract… he should be embarrassed with all the stuff he gets injured!

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 21:01

Quote:

parsfan97, Sat 6 Apr 20:50

Can’t believe management team thought he was better option than todorov.

He was under contract. Todorov wasn`t

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 21:03

I feel the two things he lacks is game intelligence and decision making. I don’t know whether you can train that into a player but on his day he can be a complete handful. Hopefully it can all click into place for him one day, as he has all the physical attributes to be a cracking player.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 21:04

He just needs a new environment/team tbh and see what he can do? Or get put out on loan to a team that plays a physical game etc.

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 21:13

The same O`Halloran who has played out of position all season, covering for players who have actually been injured?

The one who has played in 25 out of 32 league matches and been an unused sub in the last 5?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 21:22

Fair point tbh🤷

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 21:30

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Sat 6 Apr 21:13

The same O`Halloran who has played out of position all season, covering for players who have actually been injured?

The one who has played in 25 out of 32 league matches and been an unused sub in the last 5?

Echo this
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 21:34

Not good enough and needs punted.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 21:37

Or goes out on loan to get games…

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 21:49

Quote:

Alter Ego, Sat 6 Apr 21:37

Or goes out on loan to get games…

He`s getting games and is *****
Hardly a young 18 year old now, into his 20s and not cutting it

Post Edited (Sat 06 Apr 21:50)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 21:51

McPake and Mackay were both defenders. Do we have a coach who takes the forwards ?

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 21:55

If he could cut it he would have at this level by now.

Comes a point where potential needs to become quality. Sadly I don`t think it`s there.

Maybe a change in club would work.

As for O Halloran, if you`re playing Tetris and need one specific piece to clear a bunch of lines, he`s the wrong one. Just doesn`t fit into our system at all despite plenty effort.

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 22:04

Quote:

EastEndTales, Sat 6 Apr 21:55

If he could cut it he would have at this level by now.

Comes a point where potential needs to become quality. Sadly I don`t think it`s there.

Maybe a change in club would work.

As for O Halloran, if you`re playing Tetris and need one specific piece to clear a bunch of lines, he`s the wrong one. Just doesn`t fit into our system at all despite plenty effort.

He`s more likely to fit than Chalmers. He goes forth. Not back. That`s a start.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 23:31

If O`Halloran is going to play again this season, I`d be playing him as a 2nd striker beside Kane.

Jakubiak is obviously first choice but I would prefer O`Halloran to McCann at the moment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 23:53

Chalmers and Edwards were shockingly bad today. First game I`ve been to in months and watching current Edwards vs how he was when we signed him is night and day. Can defend, can`t run, can`t cross. Out left side and midfield were invisible today
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 00:36

Quote:

Andrew283, Sat 6 Apr 23:53

Chalmers and Edwards were shockingly bad today. First game I`ve been to in months and watching current Edwards vs how he was when we signed him is night and day. Can defend, can`t run, can`t cross. Out left side and midfield were invisible today

"Shockingly bad"

You OK?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 00:46

I didn`t see the game today but interested to see this thread now because after our last match vs Thistle I strangely found myself thinking that McCann would actually look really good for them! If they were looking for a long term replacement for Brian Graham I think he`d develop in that role and score goals for them.

A big reason Graham is the top goalscorer in the league is the service he gets from wide in Fitzpatrick (who has the rare gift of being comfortable crossing with either foot), Lawless, and also through the middle from McInroy. I think McCann would flourish in that position and with that kind of service from creative players around him.

We see McCann wide left most of the time, clearly not his best position and probably unfair to judge his goal record.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: grelin  
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 01:00

I think McCann is a marmite conundrum. I saw him years ago playing in reserve/youth games at Kelty on the left and I thought he looked like one for the future with a good degree of potential . Sadly I don`t think he has fulfilled that promise, granted he puts in a shift, but a lot of it is like running about like a headless chicken and diving into tackles getting himself a needless booking.
Recently I think he has been worse and his negative body language has been more pronounced than normal and his head has gone down.
Time for a change of scenery for him to see if it gives him a new sense of direction and motivation.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 01:04

I thought McCann looked at his best last season when marauding down the left with strong and penetrating runs. He is also one of our few midfield or forward players who can get his head to the ball. For some unknown reason, though, he hasn`t pushed on or developed this season. He isn`t lazy, he does put in his shift in closing players down and his height is useful in defending corners. He is quite an imposing figure but doesn`t seem to be living up to his potential.

As far as the criticism above for Edwards and Chalmers goes, today wasn`t the best day to judge them. The wind was wicked and both sides found crossing the ball or even punting the ball up the park, very tricky. I thought Chalmers was fair to middling but didn`t understand why he took the free kick in the first half. It was in prime position for a pot at goal and Joe hasn`t, in all his games for us, scored a goal. The attempt was pretty tepid and maybe Chris Kane was a better option.

Post Edited (Sun 07 Apr 01:12)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 01:13

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 7 Apr 00:36

Quote:

"Shockingly bad"

You OK?

Go on, tell me how I`m wrong? Chalmers couldn`t pass to save himself, Edwards was dreadful. Todd was poor. Kane, Benny were probably my 2 decent scored players honestly. Everyone else was average at best
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 08:55

McCann sticking to the trend in all his previous seasons, decent start to the season for 3-4 games a couple of goals then goes missing for the rest of the season. He’s big and runs himself into the ground but we’re not playing part time teams every week anymore.

Agree with others on this thread, he’s best moving on and getting a fresh start with another club who can have a go at teaching him positional awareness, control, heading and anticipation.

Chalmers had a standard game, he’s not good enough but it’s what we have got, ideally we can move him on and get better in but if we can’t it’s the bench for him next season. Edwards has been solid at the back but very poor this season going forward, if we get another ‘6 figure’ offer for him in the summer we should probably take it as fancy he’s reached his level.

No coincidence as soon as players were back these guys were removed from the team and our results improved.

McCann reminds me of Williamson in that there are some decent aspects to his game but he’s absolutely terrible at others with no sign of any improvement, fancy they will end up with similar career paths.

Post Edited (Sun 07 Apr 09:08)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 09:11

Chalmers can pass a ball, it’s just that most of the time it’s straight back to the person who gave him it or an equally non progressive short pass.

I’d like the gaffer to say to chalmers , before you’re allowed to pass I want two things. Your first touch to be into space and then you must carry the ball 20 meters before you pass it (which would allow our forwards line to move and make space and hopefully present opportunities); and ideally that pass not be a short safety pass

I’m sure there’s a player in there but he takes the safe option most of the time
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 09:15

He`s had a difficult season along with most of the squad. He may benefit from 6 months at a lower level next year, but we will need a replacement as kane and Jak will be away as it stands.

To be fair to most of the squad with the exception of Bene, Todd and KRH the end of this season can`t come quick enough.

Everyone has put in a shift and it`s petering out into a meh kinda finish.

Head down, enjoy the time off and come back stronger next year and comfortably compete in the top half ala Partick.

Hopefully we still have something this season but I kindve can`t see it anymore.

Likely finish 5th I reckon which is still a great result.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 09:16

I can understand the frustration with McCann, but I think he will come good, badly needs a goal (as does Jak) but I thought he did pretty well yesterday when he came on.

MOH is a limited player but has done ok for us, I guess he was signed as we needed another body in and he can play a few positions (although what his best position is, I am not sure). I think probably right wing back, but with KRH back and Comrie (I think is under contract for next season?) he`d be one I`d move on. Welch-Hayes looks a better option as he can cover centre back as well.

Chalmers did ok yesterday as well, I don`t think we improved much when he went off, another that has done a decent job, but you do wonder why he was extended beyond the season.

Wighton - only really works as centre forward, he can`t play wider like Jak or McCann. Not totally convinced, with better service than he has had this season he could score a decent amount, he`s similar in size to Kane but there is a big difference in the quality of their hold up play.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 09:18

Your first touch to be into space and then you must carry the ball 20 meters before you pass it (which would allow our forwards line to move and make space and hopefully present opportunities);

Hardly anyone at this level carries the ball 20m on every possession.

Chalmers game is 2 touch ball recycling/retention.

His job is to give other players an outlet rather than lose possession and he always offers himself for a pass.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 09:41

That `advice` to Chalmers is one of the craziest posts I`ve ever seen on here, and that`s saying something!

Why is it that certain players are continually singled out for criticism whilst others seem to get a free pass? Every player makes mistakes, particularly at our level. Probably the worst mistake yesterday was when MFW lost possession just outside our box in the first half and let in Brian Graham. A bit of hesitancy on his part and desperate defending got us off the hook but that incident has hardly been mentioned in the post-match discussion.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 09:45

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 7 Apr 09:41

That `advice` to Chalmers is one of the craziest posts I`ve ever seen on here, and that`s saying something!

Why is it that certain players are continually singled out for criticism whilst others seem to get a free pass? Every player makes mistakes, particularly at our level. Probably the worst mistake yesterday was when MFW lost possession just outside our box in the first half and let in Brian Graham. A bit of hesitancy on his part and desperate defending got us off the hook but that incident has hardly been mentioned in the post-match discussion.

I find it quite funny no one has mentioned Kanes header straight at the keeper he should really be doing better.

If that was anyone else they would be getting pelters
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thenatural  
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 09:47

Agree with the above. The criticism of Chalmers is unfair. It seems folk are just waiting for him to make a mistake and get on his case. I thought he was fine yesterday. As well as the retain and layoff stuff mentioned by Mike, he played a few inventive long ‘uns. He was by no means our worst player in that poor first half. If we bring in reinforcements next season, I’ll be happy for him to still be in the squad. He’s a decent footballer and seems a good guy.

Post Edited (Sun 07 Apr 09:49)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 10:02

I think if McCann was to join a league 2 side he wouldn’t be a stand out. He is a player that has flashes of brilliance but most of the time is pretty ineffective. But as others say he is still young and has certain attributes that could lead him to being a good player in the future.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 10:05

Quote:

Andrew283, Sun 7 Apr 01:13

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 7 Apr 00:36

Quote:

"Shockingly bad"

You OK?

Go on, tell me how I`m wrong? Chalmers couldn`t pass to save himself, Edwards was dreadful. Todd was poor. Kane, Benny were probably my 2 decent scored players honestly. Everyone else was average at best

Otoo average at best?
MWH average at best?
MFW average at best?

Some laugh you are. We are NIGHT & DAY compared to 6 weeks ago. We`ve nearly secured the championship status folk thought impossible after the QP home game in Feb. That was tough yesterday against a solid championship side and we gave them a game. Give them a break man

Post Edited (Sun 07 Apr 10:06)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 10:36

Quote:

thenatural, Sun 7 Apr 09:47

Agree with the above. The criticism of Chalmers is unfair. It seems folk are just waiting for him to make a mistake and get on his case. I thought he was fine yesterday. As well as the retain and layoff stuff mentioned by Mike, he played a few inventive long ‘uns. He was by no means our worst player in that poor first half. If we bring in reinforcements next season, I’ll be happy for him to still be in the squad. He’s a decent footballer and seems a good guy.

Chalmers was ok yesterday. There were players who contributed less, especially first half. It was him who supplied the cross for Kane’s header early on.
Regarding others’ mistakes which are not always highlighted, we had MFW getting caught in possession, which nearly led to a goal, then his attempted clearance straight to Graham, who scored.
Todd, virtually non existent first half. Moffat chance over the bar, when he should be hitting the target.

I thought, overall it was a decent performance against a decent side, in tricky conditions.

No need to be calling anyone out at all. All players put in a good shift and gave their all for the fans

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 10:40

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Sun 7 Apr 10:36

Quote:

thenatural, Sun 7 Apr 09:47

Chalmers was ok yesterday. There were players who contributed less, especially first half. It was him who supplied the cross for Kane’s header early on.
Regarding others’ mistakes which are not always highlighted, we had MFW getting caught in possession, which nearly led to a goal, then his attempted clearance straight to Graham, who scored.
Todd, virtually non existent first half. Moffat chance over the bar, when he should be hitting the target.

I thought, overall it was a decent performance against a decent side, in tricky conditions.

No need to be calling anyone out at all. All players put in a good shift and gave their all for the fans

It`s called having an opinion. Of which you just had yours.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 10:42

Aye, but he hadn`t formed his opinion at 2:55pm.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gaz3822  
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 12:25

He`ll have a chance to resurrect his career at Stirling Albion next year. He needs a fresh start, even if it`s to prove to himself that he`s still got something to offer someone.

Or stick him in centre of defence, might turn out to be a Tody

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 13:38

Quote:

DBP, Sun 7 Apr 09:11

I’d like the gaffer to say to chalmers , before you’re allowed to pass I want two things. Your first touch to be into space and then you must carry the ball 20 meters before you pass it (which would allow our forwards line to move and make space and hopefully present opportunities); and ideally that pass not be a short safety pass

`Joe, come here. Now, Dave and I have been talking, and what we`d like you to do from now on is turn in to Edgar Davids in his prime. We think that would help the team.`

Post Edited (Sun 07 Apr 15:34)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 16:05

Hardly!

I’ve watched most teams come here with a central midfield player who is willing to take the ball and hold / travel with it, as opposed to looking where he can offload it instantly.

If you’re happy with not much more than keeping possession from your centre mid then fair enough
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 16:10

We had Otoo, Todd, KRH and edwards who can all carry the ball in midfield. Why do you need another similar type ?

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 16:22

"If you’re happy with not much more than keeping possession from your centre mid then fair enough".

He had more assists than anyone else in the division last season, so he clearly does more than that.

It is a higher standard he`s up against this season, but he has spent most of it playing in a makeshift midfield, in front of a makeshift defence - and often behind ineffective or half-fit strikers.

If you put Chalmers in beside Hamilton and Otoo, with Jakubiak and Kane upfront, KRH and Edwards as wing-backs and Bene, MFW/Breen and MHW at the back, I think he would do well.

He is obviously not first choice in that scenario, as you play Todd ahead of him and maybe even Summers if he was fully fit - but Chalmers could still do a job with the right supporting cast around him.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 16:43

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Sun 7 Apr 16:10

We had Otoo, Todd, KRH and edwards who can all carry the ball in midfield. Why do you need another similar type ?

So we’ve gone from nobody can do that, to you just naming four in our own team! 🤦‍♂️

Anyway if he’s not going to be progressive then what’s he there for?
It’s not like he’s some midfield general, bossing the centre circle, hard tackling and breaking up opposition attacks and winning the ball back!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 16:50

Quote:

DBP, Sun 7 Apr 16:43

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Sun 7 Apr 16:10

So we’ve gone from nobody can do that, to you just naming four in our own team! 🤦‍♂️

Anyway if he’s not going to be progressive then what’s he there for?
It’s not like he’s some midfield general, bossing the centre circle, hard tackling and breaking up opposition attacks and winning the ball back!

Confusing me with someone else ?

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 17:05

Quote:

DBP, Sun 7 Apr 16:05

Hardly!

I’ve watched most teams come here with a central midfield player who is willing to take the ball and hold / travel with it, as opposed to looking where he can offload it instantly.

If you’re happy with not much more than keeping possession from your centre mid then fair enough

You the guy that sits up the back of the Norrie?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 17:49

RTL - no there’s been a few people above suggesting nobody at this level does that - I just said you gave multiple examples of people that can in our own team (which kinda disproves their point)

And no, I’m in main stand. I don’t actually shout abuse at players during the game, but doesn’t mean I can’t respond/question on a discussion forum, when people are giving opinions that I just don’t agree with

Post Edited (Sun 07 Apr 17:50)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 17:55

Your suggestion totally denies the spontaneity of football. To tell a player he must carry the ball 20 yards before passing it is just nuts and fellow-posters are quite entitled to say so.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 18:08

Especially when it`s the player in the team who regularly makes himself available to receive the ball in a tight spot.

it's often not possible for his first touch to be 'into space'.

Post Edited (Sun 07 Apr 18:10)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 18:51

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 7 Apr 17:55

Your suggestion totally denies the spontaneity of football. To tell a player he must carry the ball 20 yards before passing it is just nuts and fellow-posters are quite entitled to say so.

Sorry Joe,that was only 18. Look at the pretty flowers...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 20:05

Ok so setting our midfield player the objective of holding / carrying the ball to give our forward line time to try and make opportunity for a forward pass is clearly too hard to do, and I must have been dreaming this season when I see other players (including some in our own team)- doing just that - apologies, I shall reset my expectations of the DAFC midfield role
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Back_oh_the_net  
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 01:20

Quote:

Indiapar, Sat 6 Apr 20:33

LOL are you on the wind up? He’s 22 and has been at the club 6 years all of which he’s been part of the first team the he is still young excuse won’t wash anymore he either needs sent out on loan or a rocket up his ers and told to pull the finger out 6 years and zero improvement under various managers says it all
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mr P  
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 15:54

Sometimes with players they can get a bit complacent and stale, he has been at the club for 6 years, but he is still a young guy. He has been managed by and coached by four different styles over the past five years so a wee change may help. He is the sort of player that will make it, maybe not with us, if we cut adrift, but how many times have we done this? and it bites us in the rear end.

I think he has a great future as a player and needs to be playing every week, I know he has had a few injuries this season, next season he needs a new challenge, so a loan to a team he will get a run out most games would help him establish himself.

If he comes back for pre season with a new lease of life who knows how this will end up for both player and club. Too early to get rid just at the moment.

He has a few years on his contract, so a loan spell may well be the making of him.

McPake I am sure will have his card marked closely and he will no doubt get the best out of him, because if its his attitude or something else, it will be getting dealt with i am sure of that too.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 16:00

Quote:

Back_oh_the_net, Mon 8 Apr 01:20

Quote:

Indiapar, Sat 6 Apr 20:33

LOL are you on the wind up? He’s 22 and has been at the club 6 years all of which he’s been part of the first team the he is still young excuse won’t wash anymore he either needs sent out on loan or a rocket up his ers and told to pull the finger out 6 years and zero improvement under various managers says it all

Shankland was 22 when McCall signed him for Ayr on a short term contract. It was common knowledge that it was pretty much his last shot at FT football, he even admitted as such.

Nisbet was 21 when he signed for Rovers.

A player can develop even at 21/22.

I wouldn`t ditch Lewis just yet.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 16:29

Jamie Vardy???

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 18:53

Quote:

Mr P, Mon 8 Apr 15:54

Sometimes with players they can get a bit complacent and stale, he has been at the club for 6 years, but he is still a young guy. He has been managed by and coached by four different styles over the past five years so a wee change may help. He is the sort of player that will make it, maybe not with us, if we cut adrift, but how many times have we done this? and it bites us in the rear end.

I think he has a great future as a player and needs to be playing every week, I know he has had a few injuries this season, next season he needs a new challenge, so a loan to a team he will get a run out most games would help him establish himself.

If he comes back for pre season with a new lease of life who knows how this will end up for both player and club. Too early to get rid just at the moment.

He has a few years on his contract, so a loan spell may well be the making of him.

McPake I am sure will have his card marked closely and he will no doubt get the best out of him, because if its his attitude or something else, it will be getting dealt with i am sure of that too.

Not having a go, but if you quite rightly think having several styles of management and coaching over the last four years may have had a detrimental effect, would some consistency not be better than another change?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 19:33

I think one of his problems is that he isn`t a natural footballer like, say, KRH. When KRH receives the ball he has sussed out the situation, where his team-mates and the opposition are and what he is going to do with the ball. McCann gives the impression he doesn`t know what he`s going to do with the ball. This can create an element of surprise but in some situations it means a move breaks down and possession is lost.

In the recent win at Cappielow he came on for Jakubiak in the last 5 minutes when all we needed to do was kill the game. When he got the ball he started on one of his unpredictable runs and lost possession. A few weeks before when we won at Firhill Jakubiak came on in the closing stages and when he got the ball he hugged the touchline and invited a challenge to win a throw-in or free kick and frustrated Thistle. I don`t think McCann has the footballing nous to do that.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 19:48

It`s unfair to compare McCann to KRH, they play different positions, one is a product of man city and rangers academies.

The comparison to jakubiak is more fair but that is just down to experience.

I personally think he is knackered and low in confidence.

He`s a decent solid footballer with a good physical presence, he will in all probability be a full time footballer for his whole career.

Whether we can afford to keep him while he learns his trade I`m not sure.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 19:57

Fair enough but I was comparing them in respect of an attribute it is quite difficult to teach and isn`t specific to a particular position. At the start of this season I really thought he had developed but any progress has stalled for some reason. I`d hate for him to move on and another club get the benefit of all the years we`ve invested in him!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 20:24

His footballing education has been of a far higher standard than mccanns from a younger age.
He should read the game better.

Bear in mind McCann Is usually up top on his own with experienced center half`s marking him which can be a thankless task kane and jakubiak make it look easy.

KRH is hugging the touchline while someone else has the ball and can usually get himself space and time more easily.

That said I think McCann needs to bulk up like kane and jakubiak and be more formidable at close quarters.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 20:57

In a word, it’s confidence with Lewis.

Hes never had a chance to get a run of games on loan somewhere, where as almost every other player we have has done so. He had a decent enough season last season even taking into account an injury. I’d consider having him for another two years, but right away get him out on loan to League 1 for next season to see what that does. He tries his best, he has some great attributes, but it’s clear he needs a different coaching approach and environment to really kick on.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 21:01

Montrose would be a good club to go to. Could learn a lot from Petrie.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net