DAFC.net
Home 30 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 20 years since the 04 Cup final
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 18:45

In May it`ll be 20 years since we rocked up at Hampden and were a hands width away from shocking a hell of a Celtic side.
First SC final in what 36 years?

Whats your memories of that day?
And would anyone like to contribute to my next episode, maybe a 5 or 10 minute cameo talking about their memories of it?

Before the wide ***** get a word in, aye we got beat. But it was a defining moment of a generation and possibly the pinnacle of thr best team we`ve had since the halcyon 60s.

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 20 years since the 04 Cup final
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 19:23

1-0 up at half time and Fields of Fire came blasting over the tannoy. I remember vividly thinking "this is happening"

The second half is precisely why I despise Celtic and Rangers. They expect to win every week. We hope to win every week.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Livingston Par  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 19:51

I don`t mind saying I was welling up at half time just at the thought of us lifting it. Then bumped into someone I hadn`t seen since early 90s and haven`t seen since so that time has passed and more since.

Pre match I was a bag of nerves partly because I felt we had a real chance. My first final was The Skol Cup Final and this was the only one I have felt this way for.

After the game we just walked back to the city and plenty Celtic fans wanted to shake our hands .

Don`t remember too much about the game. I never really saw our goal as it felt like it was miles away. I also heard the shouts for handball with Balde but I somehow missed the actual incident. I said to my mate their goal is coming and within a couple of minutes my heart sank as I saw the poor lad slip letting Larsson in. I knew that was it the chance was gone. I was proud and even though I was only 32 I thought to myself will I see us this close again.

Also remember a few guys getting chucked out for allegedly being Celtic fans but I`m not convinced they were, the whole crowd of the people squabbling were all blootered. I felt that was a waste of the occasion. I had a few beers beforehand but nothing crazy.

Could have been such a great day and what a night it would have been. I just went back to Livi totally gutted.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 22:09

We could have dug in at 1-0 rather than commit too much to chasing a second goal - then Labonte fell on his erse and that was game, set and match…. Larsson thought it was an early Christmas gift.

Should have had three defenders guarding against the breakaway - of course hindsight is 20-20 vision.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 22:17

Everyone knew Labonte wasn’t getting there.

Remember being in a “Pars pub” in a fairly dark area ( maybe the Broomielaw ) followed by a long walk to hampden
For a while, the dream was on…

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kozmanout  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 22:27

Remember it being a roasting hot day, Celtic had a great side then but so did we. Think we had beat them at Parkhead a few weeks before so we went to the final with some optimism. Going in 1 up at half time was a dream, I was starting to imagine the open top bus through the town centre with the players later raising the cup at the town hall, however it was not to be. Remember speaking to Celtic fans after the game and it meant very little to them whereas had we won it would have been one of the best days in my life.
Really hope we can get back there one day just so my own children and all younger fans can experience a truly unique day.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 22:50

I was greeting afore ko never mind at Skerla’s goal. It was the view of all the Pars fans, the atmosphere building up, the team sheet (and realising LB was on the bench); and wishing my Dad could have been there.

One of my brother’s friends had his face painted black and white, like an extra from Braveheart. We had a kick about pre match with Celtic fans after we bought a ball in Asda.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”

Post Edited (Tue 09 Apr 22:51)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 23:39

Half time was one of the best 15 minutes I`ve ever experienced. Absolutely fantastic. One funny wee story. I was in a pub with my dad, full of Pars fans, can`t remember which one and the Sky cameras come in, for some live Pars Action. As the camera pans rounds the fans, everyone is shouting MON THE PARS, INTAE THUM etc when it`s their turn in front of the camera. Camera comes up to us and I`m giving it MON THE DA, goes to my dad and he gives it a huge, HELLO and starts waving at the camera 🫣🫣. When the cameras past us, I goes to him, WTF was that? And he says, Well, your mum might be watching and I was just saying hello to her 🤣🤣🤣.

Miss the daft auld Fifer 😔

Post Edited (Tue 09 Apr 23:40)
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: 87Par  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 00:07

Bus from Torryburn/Newmills/Valleyfield. Kegs of beer on the bus. Remember a park near the ground bedecked in black and white singing and dancing and flags everywhere.

Right behind the goals at our end for Skerlas goal it was bedlam. I really thought it was gonna be ours that day. Amazing to see 17000 - 18000 Pars fans. Sure Darren Young or Dempsey missed a great chance to further or chances.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 06:24

I was interviewed for the radio the day before the game and the question of whether we were happy to be in the final. I said of course, as I expect the Celtic fans are too (she was inferring that we had no chance and were just happy to be there for Celtic’s party). The press ultimately were correct as Celtic went on to win, however I was and have been left with a west coast media bias against DAFC as a certain Chick Young had plenty to say about our qualification for Europe. I am certain he wouldn’t be saying that about his beloved Rang… St Mirren, if the shoe was on the other foot.
Still a great day nonetheless and enjoyed singing walking down the Halbeath Road in Buchanan street with the other Pars fans to the amusement of the local onlookers.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 08:38

Wonderful day! This was the day I became a Pars fan.

Returned to Scotland after living abroad since an early age and started dating a beautiful Dunfermline lass, married and settled in the town.

What an amazing day, the sun was shining, Pars fans in wonderful voice. Only one thing was missing....

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: brian  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 08:56

https://dafc.net/gallery.php?CAT=Scottish+Cup+Final+2004&d=2004-05-22

.net did a lot of photos before social media came along 😁

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 10:13

I was only 10 at the time. I can remember being in a pub before the match with my aurl fella. Was mix of Celtic and Dunfermline fans. Really good atmosphere all round. Sun was shining, and everyone was buzzing, with some nerves mixed in too. Before the goal, I can distinctly remember Gary Dempsey hitting a peach of a free-kick that hit the pole behind the goal, and hit the other side of the net. Think the majority of the Pars end thought it was in. Half-time we were convinced it was our year. Alas, Henrik came back to bite us once more, just like he did on many occasions. I was greetin` my eyes out after the game, and my aurl fella just kept saying "There`ll be plenty more chances son"

"A smile might be good!"
"Nothing to smile about in my life"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 11:10

1-0 up bobo balde fouled in box should have been penalty to pars and balde sent off but because it was larssons last game was never gonna happen remember pars fan had skerla about 80/1 for first goal lol

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par58  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 19:20

Quote:

bigdonnie, Wed 10 Apr 11:10

1-0 up bobo balde fouled in box should have been penalty to pars and balde sent off but because it was larssons last game was never gonna happen remember pars fan had skerla about 80/1 for first goal lol

We would never have been allowed to win on that day, hence the Balde incident, clear as day a penalty. Typical old firm bias!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 19:49

I remember the wee things as much as the key incidents.

There used to be a well-known announcer at Haymarket station, best remembered for his usual comment that those getting on the slow Glasgow Central train should make sure they had a good book. Anyway, that day he announced `the next train on platform 4 is the cup final express to Glasgow Queen Street`. An irrelevant detail that`s always stayed with me.

I remember walking to Hampden from Queen St in the sunshine.

And I remember the deep sense of sorrow that I was there on my own that day. On days of big games like that, life as a football fan sometimes seems to overlap with other aspects of my life and I find most of these games emotional for reasons not directly related to football. For someone like me who is a very emotional person below the surface, feelings on those days can be complex and quite difficult.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 20:36

I was living down south at the time so wasn`t at the semi final. I managed to see the replay in a Walkabout since they had multiple screens (the Inverness replay clashed with some other games either in England or the Champions League?) and another guy came over to watch it. Turns out he was also a Pars fan, and we had a great night after the replay at some club that was probably too fancy for me but hey ho.

Was always going to go to the final though, especially after being too young to go to the Skol Cup final in 1991. A few floating fans came with us and the drive through, the quality of our squad, the weather... it all looked like it was falling into place for us. I was further convinced we`d win when we bumped into Hamish French outside before going to our seats.

I don`t remember too much about the game itself other than those big air blower dancing men things, the view not being brilliant (that`s Hampden for you) and then half time. I don`t even recall the goal tbh, just the delayed roar as people realised.it was in and had been given. Half time was obviously the peak of modern day Pars supporting - a goal up in a final, Big Country on the tannoy and didn`t they also have steak bridges in the pie stalls? The second half obviously didn`t go to plan but remember staying to applaud the players after they collected their medals and seeing the Celtic end emptying already.

Sad postscript - as I said earlier, I lived in England so when we drew FH I naively and perhaps arrogantly thought I`d be OK waiting for the next round to go to the away leg (I probably couldn`t have afforded a flight to Iceland anyway but hoped I could get a cheap flight or even a ferry and drive to whoever we played in the second round). Gutted I missed out despite the result.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-ticular  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 22:42

I was right in line with the Balde handball. I could not believe he got away with it.
If I remember right he did the same in the Eufa cup final.
I was gutted, another controversial decision given against us when playing the old firm. Celtic , Larson or no Larson would not have caught us if we had gone 2-0.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 23:09

I watched the highlights today after reading this thread.I think it may have been the first time I`ve ever watched it back since the day.

Great memories from the morning right up until about 5 minutes to go when the 3rd went in and the game was up.Half time was up there with my best memories ever as a Pars fan.
I put £2 on Skerla first goalscorer at 80/1 at the sportsman`s breakfast at East End Park. That was the whole day out paid for.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunPar  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 03:29

I was in a Celtic bar in Dubai. The Dubliners. Me, my wife and two daughters had our pars tops on. Kids were sat at front seats in front of the screen. Only one dickhead of a Celtic supporter accusing us of “being huns without the bus fare” to which the rest of the Celtic supporters very strongly assured him that I very definitely wasn’t. There was one other person from Dunfermline in the bar who said to me - “are you just trying to wind them up”, I immediately recognised his accent and assured him “I’m pars through and through and with your accent you should be too but I’m guessing you’re a bluenose”. He was.
Anyway - a good craic with the rest in the pub. I must confess I did frequent Dubliners for Celtic’s European nights when I stayed at that end of town……..Larson, Petrov, Thompson - some superb football……

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 18:55

What a great day it was. I remember in the lead up to the game the club selling the one black stripe tops for £10, so popping along to get one to wear on the day.

I caught a bus leaving from Dunfermline high. It was full of pars songs, some from the tunes played through the croaky speakers, and some just sung entirely by the travellers. We stopped at a bowling club in Glasgow or Motherwell where I had a few ciders and got sunburnt, nothing out of the ordinary there, but what I recall most was how nice it was to see random fans I knew arriving at the same party on the other side of the country.

Walking into the ground, standing with 16k other pars fans, and seeing the pars leading at half time was just incredible.

After the game the thing that really annoyed me most wasn`t the fact we`d been beaten by Celtic (a win would have been a shock), rather knowing that to the Celtic fans it was just another trophy, they all walked out, probably thinking about being back at work tomorrow. Had we won Dunfermline would have been partying for days. It just meant more to us.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net