DAFC.net
Home 30 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Sol Bamba
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 09:28

He is featured in the latest edition of `Sacked in the Morning` released on BBC Sounds.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Sol Bamba
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 14:31

As long as he`s in good health is all I care about. Probably my last Pars hero before I started losing interest for various .

Love ya Sol.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 15:14

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68748079

He says that Leishman was one of his top managers.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 15:21

It was fascinating stuff. He said Leish offered him a contract after seeing him train for 10 minutes. They actually phoned Leish during the programme and it was a bit of a mutual admiration society. Sol was due to sign for Watford but that fell through and he signed for Hibs where Yogi succeeded Mixu as manager. He`s now doing his pro-licence and said he`d love to manage in Scotland.

It`s well worth a listen.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 17:03

And some folk on this forum called him "Bombscare"šŸ¤”šŸ™ˆ
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 17:50

You might be shocked to know but some folk on this forum donā€™t actually understand football or even how human beings work.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 17:51

Quote:

General Zod, Wed 10 Apr 17:50

You might be shocked to know but some folk on this forum donā€™t actually understand football or even how human beings work.

Correct.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein PƤckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 18:03

Quote:

And all because he had a poor game v Hamilton, in a 5-0 drubbing at EEP. It should be noted that he wasn`t the only Pars player to have a day to forget.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 19:13

Yes he did have a mare that day but at least he was trying unlike some in the team who had downed tools..

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 19:29

He was eratic, though. Often a standout and clearly the best player on the park, but also had spells when he just wasn`t on it and making mistakes all over the place. There was enough evidence from his time with us to argue that he had the attributes to be a great player, but there was also enough to think he might never make it at a good level, mainly because of a lack of concentration.

Also, it`s absolutely not true that it was all to do with the Hamilton game. He was really poor in his last few games for us and a move was the best thing for everyone. The Hamilton game was just the peak of it, that many people do remember. Maybe people just had a different opinion, which shouldn`t be a surprise given that there was plenty to argue the case either way. Is it not a bit odd to sneer at things that were said more than 15 years ago?

Even though it was the right time for him to leave, I`m glad he went on to have a good career and especially happy that he seems to have made it through that serious health issue.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 19:39

On the flip side, he was tremendous against Hibs in the cup semi replay.

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 22:44

Quote:

GG Riva, Wed 10 Apr 18:03

Quote:

And all because he had a poor game v Hamilton, in a 5-0 drubbing at EEP. It should be noted that he wasn`t the only Pars player to have a day to forget.

And the Stirling Albion game and the Livington game. He went onto better things admittedly GG but he had plenty ropey performances with us.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 10:27

I`ll defend Bamba (and to a certain extent Kenny) to a hilt on this one. So many of the `senior pros` on that team had downed tools - indeed I`d go as far to say that some of them were wanting to lose to force a change in management.

Bamba was giving his all and was therefore massively exposed.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 10:49

Quote:

TAFKA_Super_Petrie, Wed 10 Apr 22:44

Quote:

GG Riva, Wed 10 Apr 18:03

Quote:

And the Stirling Albion game and the Livington game. He went onto better things admittedly GG but he had plenty ropey performances with us.

So I`m learning from your post and that of Socks. I obviously have selective memory, but in my defence, it wasn`t deliberate. I remember us getting a doing in these other games, too, but I didn`t remember Bamba being any poorer than most of his teammates.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 10:52

I thought Bamba only played 1 game in the 1st Division with us that year because there was a stramash about will he or won`t he go. I didn`t think he was still with us when we lost by 5 to Hamilton and then by 3 to I think Stirling which was either Kenny`s last or penultimate game with us. What others are saying about senior players downing tools is definitely true and it was probably instigated by McIntyre trying to position himself - never took to that man at all.

Edit - just looked it up and I was wrong! How many games into the season did Kenny get sacked? And Bamba leave?

Post Edited (Thu 11 Apr 10:54)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 11:59

Kenny left in December 2007 and Bamba at the end of the season in August 2008.
He only made 13 league appearances for us in his last year.He wanted to leave the season before but nobody came in for him, so he played no part in pre-season.He eventually signed a new deal and was put in the team but his form was poor.His head probably wasn`t in it at that point although it should have been.

At the end of the season he went on trial at Watford and even played in a friendly for them.Then he was away with the Ivory Coast Olympic squad in China when Watford unexpectedly pulled out of the deal.He returned to us for a few weeks before leaving on 31st August.

He got sent off on his debut for Hibs.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 12:39

My Memory of Bamba`s performance against Hamilton was that he was noticably worse than his team mates. He was constantly out of position and was, in my opinions, directly responsible for at least three of the goals that day.

I`m a big fan of his though - he stuck out when he was a trialist in a friendly against Osasuna. I can remember having a smoke with Leish after the game and asking him about the "big trialist."

The fact that he was such a big laddie might be making some folk forget how young he was when he played for us though? He was clearly a talent, it was just very raw.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 13:17

Did Bamba not return from international duty on the morning of the Hibs game and wasn`t expecting to play.

I also recall he was out with collection buckets during the period prior to administration, or is my memory deceiving me?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 13:28

Sure Sol still keeps a fond (Private) eye on local events and visits fairly regularly

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 16:50

Got a lovely photo of him before the Before the Wee cup final. Lovely guy.

Post Edited (Thu 11 Apr 16:50)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 18:21

Quote:

Playup_Pompey, Thu 11 Apr 13:28

Sure Sol still keeps a fond (Private) eye on local events and visits fairly regularly

See what you did there šŸ˜‚
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Fri 12 Apr 10:14

Quote:

Playup_Pompey, Thu 11 Apr 13:28

If true then good to see he is involved šŸ˜ƒ
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 12 Apr 10:46

Behave yourselves!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Fri 12 Apr 12:25

Quote:

jake89, Fri 12 Apr 10:46

Behave yourselves!

Like Sol did? šŸ˜šŸ˜‚
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Fri 12 Apr 21:53

Thereā€™s still some (grainy) footage of the Hamilton game on YouTube. Look at the defending from the ā€œseasoned proā€ who is playing centre half with him that day. Particularly the goal which comes from a long punt.. and the experienced defender is caught about 10 yards under the ball.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Neil_Philp  
Date:   Sun 14 Apr 08:35

I liked him when he was with us. A rough diamond for sure but you could see the potential in him
Glad he went on to have a good career and he does seem to be like a good guy as well :)

COYP
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
Ā© 2021-- DAFC.net