DAFC.net
Home 09 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Sir Bobby Charlton (D)
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Sat 21 Oct 16:02

RIP sir
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Sir Bobby Charlton (D)
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 21 Oct 16:06

A true Legend .. RIP Sir Bobby

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Sat 21 Oct 16:07

what a rocket shot he had and what a gentlemen think he was last survivor of munich disaster r.i.p sir bobby

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 21 Oct 17:13

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/62995808

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 21 Oct 18:47

Never missed a competitive match due to injury - amazing, considering the number of games he played.

RIP

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Sat 21 Oct 18:54

I met him sometime in the mid 80s when he came up to Milnathort, of all places, to open a Lada dealership. RIP

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 21 Oct 23:21

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sat 21 Oct 18:47

Never missed a competitive match due to injury - amazing, considering the number of games he played.

RIP

I did not know that. Unreal.

RIP

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 22 Oct 08:30

Quote:

da_no_1, Sat 21 Oct 23:21

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sat 21 Oct 18:47

RIP

I did not know that. Unreal.

RIP

I saw that in an article in the Guardian, or maybe it was the Independent, a few years back.

If I hadn’t seen a reputable source, I would not have believed it either.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 22 Oct 09:36

Geoff Hurst now the sole survivor from the 1966 winning team

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 22 Oct 19:58

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/22/bobby-and-jack-charlton-the-brothers-who-won-together-but-lived-apart

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Sun 22 Oct 21:23

This is really sad – another icon from my childhood gone. Bobby was a true colossus of a player and his passing prompts so many memories.

I think the first game I ever saw on television was the 1968 European Cup Final – and Bobby scored twice. So in a sense he has shared my entire football journey – until now. He and Georgie Best – what players! But I was much too young to appreciate the significance of that game at the time, the apogee of Matt Busby’s ambition to win the European Cup after the tragedy of Munich.

And of course there was the World Cup – before my time, (although I’ve heard about it on occasion), but you get the feeling he steadied an entire nation’s nerves when he belted that one in against Mexico after the goalless draw against Uruguay made people doubt the inevitability of an England title.

It’s perhaps interesting to speculate that had Munich not happened then England would have had a terrific team in Chile in 1962 as the Babes matured – we might never have heard of 1966…

And then in 1970 England seemed well on their way to retaining the Jules Rimet trophy, comfortably leading West Germany in the quarter final before Alf Ramsey subbed him – and lost the game AET (although Peter Bonetti may have assisted).

However, he was also a gentleman – after a brief unsuccessful foray into management at Preston (and a spell being famous as the father of Suzanne, an erstwhile BBC Weather presenter) he seemed to mature into the role of father figure at Old Trafford and unofficial global ambassador. And I think it’s him you can hear shouting “he’s scored!” in the background when Archie Gemmill scored that Barry Nicholson-esque goal against the Netherlands in 1978. I think he might only have been booked once, in the 1966 QF rammy against Argentina.

I never saw him play live but I did spot him at Meadowbank one lunchtime when I was down to play my weekly five a side game – standing there in his tracksuit – I wish I’d had the courage to ask him if he wanted a game.

RIP

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 22 Oct 21:40

I have a vague recollection of him bringing his team to EEP for a friendly when he was manager of Preston North End.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Sun 22 Oct 21:46

wee eck wrote:

> I have a vague recollection of him bringing his team to EEP for
> a friendly when he was manager of Preston North End.

6 August 1973? The Pars dB has us winning 3-0 (Kinninmonth 2, Thomson)

I had a notion that he had played at EEP but I couldn`t find details. The above would have been one pf his first games in charge.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 22 Oct 21:55

That would be it but I can`t remember anything about the game.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WarringtonPar  
Date:   Sun 22 Oct 22:43

I was really sad to hear of Bobby Charltons passing yesterday and like many others felt a part of my childhood had died with him.

I’m sure there will be lots of football memories repeated over the days leading to his funeral but another you may not hear is a great story from the excellent broadcaster Gabby Yorath about Sir Bob that really shows what a top man and class act he was.

If you’ve been to Old Trafford you’ll know that the media centre is a large glass fronted block in the South stand ( now the Bobby Charlton stand) close to the Stretford End. Early in her presenting career she was looking out of the studio before a game she was covering for ITV and was noticed by the assembling Stretford end. Sadly the crowd started singing to her ‘get your t**s out for the lads” Sir Bob who was in the studio and in close proximity unbelievably stood up next to Gabby unbuttoned his shirt and flashed his moobs to the crowd. The result was a huge cheer and mass hilarity completely changing the mood and saving the embarrassment of a young lady. A gem of a man, Manchester United’s greatest statesman an incredible footballer the likes of which will never be seen again. RIP Sir Bob.

Post Edited (Sun 22 Oct 23:31)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Oct 08:25

Quote:

McCaig`s Tower, Sun 22 Oct 21:46

wee eck wrote:

> I have a vague recollection of him bringing his team to EEP for
> a friendly when he was manager of Preston North End.

6 August 1973? The Pars dB has us winning 3-0 (Kinninmonth 2, Thomson)

I had a notion that he had played at EEP but I couldn`t find details. The above would have been one pf his first games in charge.

Interesting.

If you look at the footage Buspasspar linked on Saturday at 17:13……….looks like the old dugout box at EEP ?
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net