DAFC.net
Home 09 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 How Crucial is Possession?
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 27 Oct 12:45

I didn`t see Aberdeen v PAOK last night, but I did watch some 6 or 7 mins of highlights this morning. I was amazed to note that they had only 29 % possession during the game but led 2-0 with just over 15 mins to play before their Greek opponents produced a late rally to win 3-2.

Teams losing while dominating possession is nothing new, of course. Jose Mourinho`s teams are notoriously good at winning with low possession stats. Inter Milan knocked Barca out of the CL semi-finals with just 18% in the 2nd leg at the Nou Camp. You would imagine, though, that this is the exception that proves the rule and that teams that dominate possession win far more games than they lose.

There are stats on everything in football nowadays. Can anyone supply stats on the above?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: How Crucial is Possession?
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Fri 27 Oct 12:50

It`s very cruel, I still have nightmares after watching the Exorcist!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Fri 27 Oct 13:29

I witnessed a coach at under 15 level with one of those hand held click counter things counting his teams passes and being visibly enthused as his team reached 30 or so backwards and sideways passes in their own half whilst the opposition defence put the kettle on and organised themselves. Coaches and a whole generation of players are now indoctrinated into this way of thinking. Pep’s Barca of 10 years ago became the best team in the world playing this way and many put 2 and 2 together and came up with 5 in thinking that this was how you must play in order to be good. All of a sudden you became a Luddite for encouraging direct play and some coaches ( like John Hughes who seemingly banned his players from passing further than 10 yards if you saw his Livingston team circa 2011) embraced this obsessively. For me it’s pretentious nonsense, incredibly boring to watch and , unless you have the players to pull it off, only plays into the hands of the opposition.

I have no stats to back this up.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Fri 27 Oct 13:54

There`s a time and place to knock it about without urgently looking to create an opening.

Arsene Wenger trained his team to do that when the strikers needed a breather, or to go down one side if the other had a sustained period of pressure.

Worst I`d ever seen for this play from the back nonsense was Hamburg when they were in Dusseldorf . Keeper and 3 centre backs literally played out from almost the goal line. Not that I cared who won but it was infuriating to watch. When it got up the park (long boot after being put under pressure...) the keeper then stayed about 40 yards from goal. Absurd stuff.

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 27 Oct 14:16

I find that style of football pretty dull. I`m much more into the direct style of football that Dick n Bert had us playing in the 90s, some tricky wingers, and get it in the box whenever possible
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 27 Oct 14:36

I hate it when an outfield player takes the ball from the keeper, assesses his options then decides there`s nothing on so gives the ball back to the goalie. Is it maybe because he doesn`t want to be accused of losing possession?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Fri 27 Oct 14:37

Depends where the possession is🙂

Over a 5 year period in the Champions League the team with most possession won 49.2% of games, drew 22% and lost 28.8%.As the range of difference grew so did the chances of winning.

I believe in playing to the strength of your team so it depends on your players.There are other factors like conditions, opponent, result, minutes played etc so horses for courses.
If you have a one dimensional approach it can get you in trouble and you become predictable and easy to play against.It does infuriate me watching teams trying to play from the back who don`t have the capability to do so and end up playing themselves into trouble.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alter Ego  
Date:   Fri 27 Oct 17:36

Passing out from the back is boring. What really gets on my moobs is Kepper passes to defender, goes side ways to rightback then he just goes long...why?
I would always have a big centre forward up top and a player that can run of him like the great duo of Brewster and Crawford. Plus fast wingers who can take players on is great to watch and ithats slowly declining now. The Paton era was great to watch where it was attacking football.

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 27 Oct 19:34

Nine-Tenths of the Law GG .. :-))

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Fri 27 Oct 20:00

Quote:

red-star-par, Fri 27 Oct 14:16

I find that style of football pretty dull. I`m much more into the direct style of football that Dick n Bert had us playing in the 90s, some tricky wingers, and get it in the box whenever possible

I`d agree with this. Love to see a cross ball with pace met with a solid header that flies into the net. Nothing better.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Fri 27 Oct 20:31

Some teams successfully play a strategy of playing a risky pass in a high area with a policy of aggressive pressing if they lose the ball. It`s not a tactic of losing the ball but recovering it with aggressive pressing higher up the park.

Some teams hot the ball long knowing or predicting the area where it will be headed out to and run on to the ball to create momentum. How many times do you see from corners the ball being headed out to around the centre circle. It's mathematical probabilities

Post Edited (Fri 27 Oct 20:34)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 28 Oct 08:27

Quote:

parathletic, Fri 27 Oct 14:37

Depends where the possession is🙂

Over a 5 year period in the Champions League the team with most possession won 49.2% of games, drew 22% and lost 28.8%.As the range of difference grew so did the chances of winning.

I believe in playing to the strength of your team so it depends on your players.There are other factors like conditions, opponent, result, minutes played etc so horses for courses.
If you have a one dimensional approach it can get you in trouble and you become predictable and easy to play against.It does infuriate me watching teams trying to play from the back who don`t have the capability to do so and end up playing themselves into trouble.

Good post, parathletic.

Those of us old enough to remember the dominant Liverpool team established by Bill Shankly and continued by Bob Paisley, Joe Fagin and Kenny Dalglish, will recall that their success stemmed from their ability to keep the ball.

Shankly`s twin mantra was "your opponents can`t score if they don`t have the ball" and "it`s a sin to give the ball away."

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net