DAFC.net
Home 08 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Duncan disorderly
Topic Originator: piepar  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 15:15

Anyone else have a sneaky admiration for Duncan disorderly ?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Duncan disorderly
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 15:44

Big Dunc is a sound guy. ICT are lucky to have him. Seems like the kind of guy you`d love to play for if you were a player. Aye, he was a bit daft when he was young but so were most young guys. We`ve all done things we cringe about.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 16:52

I like him .. I think he will do well as a manager with his inspirational methods
Good luck to him .. Except Saturday of course .. COYP

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 16:56

I hope it goes well for him but I honestly can’t see him keeping them up then of course the question will be can they afford his wages in league 1 if they go down?

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 17:00

I wonder what ideas Sammy will cook up for him this weekend!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 17:09

Strange one as he seemed to be reasonably well thought of as a coach at Everton (with the caveat that as a legendary former player he had a lot of credit in the bank) but he was hideously out of his depth at Forest Green Rovers and was sacked with a terrible points per game ratio. Was surprised he went up North but fair play he seems to have had an impact. Will need to see how he goes over more than a handful of games mind you.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 20:21

Quote:

kelty_par, Wed 15 Nov 17:09

Strange one as he seemed to be reasonably well thought of as a coach at Everton (with the caveat that as a legendary former player he had a lot of credit in the bank) but he was hideously out of his depth at Forest Green Rovers and was sacked with a terrible points per game ratio. Was surprised he went up North but fair play he seems to have had an impact. Will need to see how he goes over more than a handful of games mind you.

How many games do you judge him on ?
18?
Out of his depth seems a bit of an assumption unless you are also a dyed in the wool FGR fan who knows all the ins and outs of the state that club was in
Took a gamble with a club bottom of League One without a transfer window to use.
Rather than out of his depth, I think he`s probably learned a good deal, especially when it came to realising that broken promises by football club owners are usually at every club

Not that it was much consolation but his only win was against Sheffield Wednesday who were promoted
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 20:56

"Aye, he was a bit daft when he was young but so were most young guys. We`ve all done things we cringe about."

Head butting an opponent in front of 50,000 witnesses certainly qualifies as a "bit daft" - especially when you are on probation for 2 previous convictions for assault, one of which was also head butting a policeman and for breach of the peace. The drink driving conviction didn`t help either.

DF maintains that the judge who sent him down was of the Celtic minded persuasion.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 21:45

"How many games do you judge him on ?
18?"

18 games was more than enough for us to see that Peter Grant was awful. Ferguson had an even worse record at The New Lawn than Grant had at EEP by the way. He also had time to deal in the transfer window while there (the permanent window had about a week to run and he couod still use loans) and yet managed to send one of the players who was actually performing (ex Raith man Regan Henry) out to Tranmere on loan.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 22:06

Quote:

kelty_par, Wed 15 Nov 21:45

"How many games do you judge him on ?
18?"

18 games was more than enough for us to see that Peter Grant was awful. Ferguson had an even worse record at The New Lawn than Grant had at EEP by the way. He also had time to deal in the transfer window while there (the permanent window had about a week to run and he couod still use loans) and yet managed to send one of the players who was actually performing (ex Raith man Regan Henry) out to Tranmere on loan.

So you do follow FGR as you knew Regan Henry was performing well for the team at the bottom of the league ??
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 23:05

As a player Duncan Ferguson had the potential to be one of Europe`s greatest centre forwards. Jim McLean worked on that potential, same as he had with Andy Gray, but Ferguson had a self-destructive attitude and never became what he could have been. On his day he could route any centre half but these days were merely occasional. He barely scored more than 20 goals a season. Often less than 10.

Being a manager is a different game of course, and a frustrated talent can come good. But as a player after Jim McLean, Ferguson was indulged and his career stalled as a result. Nobody held him back: he held back himself. Happy to be a cult figure at Everton whilst players with less than his ability like Sheringham were wining European Cups.

Haalnad of Man City has pace Ferguson never had, but there are similarities for all that. Ferguson should have been the best centre forward in the EPL.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Thu 16 Nov 08:18

Met him many years ago at Blackpool as a fellow pigeon fancier,was really sound and had time to talk to everyone ,hope he does well at Inverness ( after this week)

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Thu 16 Nov 08:23

Quote:

back oh the net, Wed 15 Nov 16:56

I hope it goes well for him but I honestly can’t see him keeping them up then of course the question will be can they afford his wages in league 1 if they go down?

I’m not sure what you’re basing on them being in a relegation scrap unless you’re just looking pre Dunc tenure, since he’s come in, he’s been unbeaten in the 5 games in charge. I think they’ll have a right fighters chance of getting the last promotion playoff position never-mind relegation. Early days but definitely started on the right footing.

Post Edited (Thu 16 Nov 08:24)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 16 Nov 10:45

I liked Big Dunc as a player and would have loved to have seen him playing for the Pars. I remember seeing a picture of him on his release from prison. Everton sent a piper in full Highland regalia to pipe him out.....

How utterly bizarre.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Thu 16 Nov 11:26

Quote:

Berry, Thu 16 Nov 08:23

Quote:

I’m not sure what you’re basing on them being in a relegation scrap unless you’re just looking pre Dunc tenure, since he’s come in, he’s been unbeaten in the 5 games in charge. I think they’ll have a right fighters chance of getting the last promotion playoff position never-mind relegation. Early days but definitely started on the right footing.

I agree with Berry. I fancy them to beat Ross County in the play offs, the biggest El Kessocko in history!

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (DADSC) when you shop online with one of 8000 firms: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc[
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Thu 16 Nov 19:43

Quote:

Berry, Thu 16 Nov 08:23

Quote:

Post Edited (Thu 16 Nov 08:24)

I’m basing that on the fact that it’s well documented that they are skint the appointment of big dunc is costing them a fortune and from what I have been told by someone who is well. connected up that way it’s money they don’t have so some right fighters in the team or not watch it go t!ts up for them once they start getting injuries and need to strengthen the squad in January with buttons to spend on players that coupled with the wages they will be paying wotherspoon is why I thing they might go down if they don’t then it will be by a baw hair

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Thu 16 Nov 21:55

ICT most definitely not paying a huge amount to big Dunc .

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 16 Nov 22:05

Quote:

saltonsgonagetu, Thu 16 Nov 21:55

Charity work?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Thu 16 Nov 22:42

Quote:

da_no_1, Thu 16 Nov 22:05

Quote:

saltonsgonagetu, Thu 16 Nov 21:55

Charity work?

Nope ,but definitely not the highest paid in the league .

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Fri 17 Nov 04:02

Quote:

sammer, Wed 15 Nov 23:05

As a player Duncan Ferguson had the potential to be one of Europe`s greatest centre forwards. Jim McLean worked on that potential, same as he had with Andy Gray, but Ferguson had a self-destructive attitude and never became what he could have been. On his day he could route any centre half but these days were merely occasional. He barely scored more than 20 goals a season. Often less than 10.

Being a manager is a different game of course, and a frustrated talent can come good. But as a player after Jim McLean, Ferguson was indulged and his career stalled as a result. Nobody held him back: he held back himself. Happy to be a cult figure at Everton whilst players with less than his ability like Sheringham were wining European Cups.

Haalnad of Man City has pace Ferguson never had, but there are similarities for all that. Ferguson should have been the best centre forward in the EPL.

Ferguson never came close to 20 goals a season.In 13 seasons in England his best total was 11 in 97/98, Everton stayed up on goal difference that year.
Sheringham, who I am no fan of, was a superior player in almost every department.You would perhaps give Ferguson the nod to win a header 6 yards out but Sheringham scored as many with his head in the PL as Ferguson-other than that what was Ferguson better at? As well as all his team honours, Sheringham won the Golden Boot, PFA Player of the Year and Football Writer`s Player of the Year.

Big Dunc was on Talksport the other week and you get a good laugh with some of his stories.I notice that Forest Green are in a relegation spot in League 2 this season, the vegan diet maybe not working for them?🙂
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net