DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Hamstring Injuries
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Mon 8 Jan 10:28

It`s not just DAFC.

It`s a topic on lots of forums at different clubs (eg at Spurs the blame is being put by some on Ange`s high-intensity training, saying it was the same at Celtic).

More scientifically, there is concern in European football that hamstring injuries seem to have doubled in the last 20 years, with most of the increase in the last decade. Some figures suggest an average of 8 hamstring injuries per season in a 25-man squad.

If you google "hamstring injury football" you`ll find lots of articles, including analyses by research teams. There`s also a tabloid article here.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-injury-list-hamstring-31391038

Reasons suggested are:
- more games, particularly for elite players
- lengthy stoppages (VAR etc) allowing players to cool down then quickly restart
- longer matches due to stoppages
- fatigue (injuries late in game)
- more explosive styles of play
- bigger players, so more demand on hamstrings/muscles
- poor liaison between coach and medical staff
- training methods
- recurrence of previous injury

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (DADSC) when you shop online with one of 8000 firms: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc[
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Hamstring Injuries
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Mon 8 Jan 10:59

I tore my ACL and had a hamstring graft to fix it.Until that point I had never had a hamstring injury in my life but thereafter it was definitely weaker and I pulled it once or twice.I wonder if any of the injured players have had similar operations on the knee in the past?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Mon 8 Jan 16:31

Pulled a Hamstring twice - not a complete tear thank god. Not pleasant at all.

Football is incredibly intense this days, so I`m not surprised at the increase in hamstring injuries. The modern `pressing` styles require lots of high intensity running, whereas holding your defensive position is far less physically intense.

reminds me a bit of formula 1 in the 90s - the cars were incredibly quick, but not very reliable. Footballers are kinda similar - highly tuned, incredibly impressive machines - that happen to break down a lot. Sports Science will move on no doubt, but the bio-mechanics of a human are a bit harder to change than those of a car, so I expect tactics are likely to evolve to be, at least in part, less intense over the next few years.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Mon 8 Jan 16:55

On the f1 analogy, I think clubs, certainly at the highest level are just going to have get more spare parts.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 8 Jan 17:26

Never had a hamstring but tore a calf muscle .. thought I had been shot

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net