DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Franz Beckenbauer (RIP)
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Mon 8 Jan 16:37

The Kaiser died today aged 78. One of the greats RIP
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Franz Beckenbauer (RIP)
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Mon 8 Jan 16:52

Class act . R.I.P. Franz

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Mon 8 Jan 17:05

I’m very sorry to hear this. He was a truly magnificent footballer and he’d be a nailed on certainty to be in the greatest team of my lifetime. He strolled through games at the highest level - his Bayern team won three consecutive European cups, he lifted the World Cup as a player in ‘74 and then repeated the trick as a coach in 1990. His passing, following on from the great Mario Zagallo the other day, is a very sad loss for football fans worldwide.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 8 Jan 17:21

Good post parfection .. RIP Der Kaiser

Post Edited (Mon 08 Jan 17:47)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Mon 8 Jan 17:56

Before Franz Beckenbauer burst onto the scene, German football was perceived as a game of muscular efficiency. Blond, thick set, young men would run and tackle for 90 minutes until the opposition was beaten into submission. With his Southern German roots, Kaiser Franz drew more on the artistic Austrian game that had flourished mid century and he was able to marry this style with the traditional German virtues to create something new and appealing.

One of the enduring images of his era is Beckenbauer strolling forward, barely having to even glance at his feet, before striking a polka dot ball effortlessly and accurately with the outside of his boot. He was very fast with the ball but never looked hurried and seemed to control the tempo of play. Franz Beckenbauer was the greatest wing half I’ve ever seen, whether playing central midfield or sweeper, both positions which he reshaped into attacking options.

Many were those who tried to imitate his style, but no one came close then nor since.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ditch  
Date:   Mon 8 Jan 18:25

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uqdwJvQwVp3qr1qw9

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 8 Jan 18:43

Kaiser Franz was different class - a player way ahead of his time. Very difficult to leave him out of All time XI. Sammer and parfection describe him accurately and eloquently.

One of only 3 footballers to have won the World Cup as a player and manager.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 8 Jan 18:46

He made it look so easy, strolling through games as if a leisurely training exercise.

R.I.P.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 8 Jan 19:55

Quote:

GG Riva, Mon 8 Jan 18:43

Kaiser Franz was different class - a player way ahead of his time. Very difficult to leave him out of All time XI. Sammer and parfection describe him accurately and eloquently.

One of only 3 footballers to have won the World Cup as a player and manager.

So only 3 people have managed this achievement. Mario Zagallo was first, followed by Beckenbauer? Amazing to think that both have passed away within days of each other. Didier Deschamps will hopefully be fine for a few years yet.

Beckenbauer will go down as one of the greatest ever, destined to be in every Greatest Ever XI - what a player, what a man.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Mon 8 Jan 20:13

Watched him play at Ibrox in 1972, in those long gone days when a team of 11 Scots could take on a team with several world class players and give them a sound beating. But he would certainly be in my top team of all time.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 8 Jan 21:18

Welsh rugby legend JPR Williams gone too 🥲

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Mon 8 Jan 23:21

JPR was hardy as they come.

He was once in a serious car accident with a petrol tanker and taken to hospital. The legend goes as follows: A hospital spokesman said: ` Mr Williams spent a comfortable night but unfortunately we were unable to save the tanker.`

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Tue 9 Jan 10:03

Saw him at Hampden 1969 in WC qualifier. Gerd Muller scored typical Muller penalty box goal and Bobby Murdoch equalised with typical Murdoch outside the penalty box thunderbolt!
Just watched it on YouTube, brought it all back.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 9 Jan 10:25

Until I read his obituary I didn`t realise that Bayern weren`t even the top side in Munich, far less Germany, before he signed for them. That was the start of their dominance. Apparently he was a fan of Munich 1860 but they snubbed him in some way so he signed for Bayern.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Tue 9 Jan 12:57

In terms of strolling through the game Franz should have been wearing a smoking jacket..... A class act.

“.........it ain’t over till the Pars score!”
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net