DAFC.net
Home 18 October 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Football League Ladders
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 31 Jan 05:59

I was browsing some pages on Etsy.com today and was astounded to discover that you can still buy those cardboard football league ladders that many kids in the 1960s used to hang on their bedroom walls and update every Sunday morning.

https://www.retrotogo.com/2022/07/celebrate-the-new-football-season-with-classic-league-ladders.html

The first one I got came free inside the Valiant comic in the early `60s. I think it later became available in Shoot magazine. Over two or three weeks, we received the basic tables covering the four English and two Scottish leagues, with cardboard press-outs for each team in their primary club colour. These would be slipped into the appropriate slot on the league ladder that week.

Considering all the sophisticated electronic tools available to football fans today, it is surprising but quite reassuring to know that there are still folks out there who can enjoy such a simple but utterly addictive pastime.

Post Edited (Wed 31 Jan 06:26)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Football League Ladders
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 31 Jan 07:08

Talk about a flashback.....I had forgotten these even existed 👍⚽️

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parplod  
Date:   Wed 31 Jan 07:45

Great memory. Got them every year. I can’t remember any specific reason but it’s because of the League Ladders that I have always followed Stockport County and Torquay United. Very differing fortunes over the years.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 31 Jan 08:30

A must have as a Laddie back in the day .. but like da no 1 I had forgotten all about them Oz .. Thanks for sharing

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Wed 31 Jan 08:57

It was my use of these over a few seasons that I managed to memorise every club ground in England and Scotland as a kid. If I remember correctly the ground name, club nickname and year founded was the info on the tab..

What an opportunity we missed in 2014.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Wed 31 Jan 09:02

Used to get something similar every year from the Match magazine. Little triangle kits with the club names.

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net