DAFC.net
Home 29 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Promotion this year - good or bad?
Topic Originator: usurpar  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 13:15

In the (unlikely) event that we get promoted this year, will it be good for the team, management and club, or bad?
Obviously, it could be good financially and the club could arguably attract better players, but could we survive the first year in the top flight?
My thoughts are that it would be difficult for the club to continue with the current business model, there would need to be fairly large scale changes to the playing squad which would then take time to settle and become a cohesive team. Our promising group of youngsters may either lose progression through new, established players being brought in, or they may struggle, initially at least, with the rise in standard.
Whilst the SPL has to be the ultimate aim, I feel that we need at least one more season in this division, to consolidate and build the team that would give us a fighting chance of staying up when we eventually get there.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Promotion this year - good or bad?
Topic Originator: Ormiston_Par  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 13:47

Our squad are nowhere near the quality required for life in the Premiership.

We aren`t going to get promoted (indeed, we`ll be doing extremely well to finish 4th and make the playoffs) but if we did we`d come straight back down again.

That`s what happened the last time we were in the top flight, and the squad we had back then was arguably a lot stronger than the one we have now.

The artist formerly known as KGB / Slim Hoolie
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 13:53

agree with ormiston...

even in wildest dreams it aint going to happen - but if I indulged myself and imagined what it would be like with the players we have (and likely get), then have to say, I think it would be a pretty miserable year TBH

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 13:54

We can`t afford to turn down any opportunity to get promoted.It`s the best part of 20 years since we were in the Premier League and it`s a difficult league to get out of.
I think the realisation that going purely with youth is a mistake has already set in and you need experience in there.The average age on Saturday was 26 which about standard for the league, so the squad isn`t that young.It isn`t a coincidence that our form has picked up as we have added more experience and had established players returning from injury.
Player turnover will be inevitable if we go up, Dundee signed 16 players in the summer and they are staying up comfortably.
Of the last 8 Championship winners, 7 are currently in the Premier and the other is Dundee Utd so recent history suggests it`s more than doable to stay up? How many teams recently have gone up and straight back down?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 14:23

When was it ever said we were going `purely with youth`? I must have missed that.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ormiston_Par  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 14:40

It`s the best part of 20 years since we were in the Premier League

Slight exaggeration. It`s been 12 years.

The artist formerly known as KGB / Slim Hoolie
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 14:42

If we finish 5th that would meet my expectations for this season, however with our strongest first 11 we are a match for every team in this league on any given day, so if we somehow managed to overhaul Airdrie and finish 4th then it stands to reason we`d be going into the play offs on a good run full of confidence. Anything would be possible.

I`ll take 5th place now tho. I don`t even want to contemplate losing to that mob 7 times in one season.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 14:51

Quote:

Ormiston_Par, Tue 9 Apr 14:40

It`s the best part of 20 years since we were in the Premier League

Slight exaggeration. It`s been 12 years.

Apologies feels like 20🙂 Too long anyway.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 15:36

It would be bad for a few of our squad who would normally feature next year, mehmet chalmers McCann and o’hallaran may find themselves out of favour

But it would be great for the likes Comrie edwards Todd, Otoo, Fisher, allan, Hamilton, KRH who need to go to the next level to see if they can develop further.

It would also give us great scope to sign MFW, MWH and kane.

It would be a dream for bene as he nears the end of his career.

Younger lads like tod and sutherland bros would probably have to go elsewhere to get game time.

It`s an interesting conundrum because no one will ever turn down promotion to the big time. But another year in the championship might be better in the long run.

It would be a great problem/headache for mcpake to have.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 16:44

After the club posting losses of £1 million, I’m sure the board would be over the moon at promotion and the financial gain it brings

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 17:51

Will be very (but pleasantly) surprised if we finish 4th, while frankly staggered if we won the playoffs. I was hopeful until we couldn`t dispatch Patrick at the weekend - playing with a nearing full strength team.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 18:05

Don`t think we will make it this year but clubs such as Kilmarnock, Dundee & Hearts have recently been promoted from this league and have done alright so no reason we couldn`t. Teams like Ross County, St Johnstone and Livi (although their goose is cooked this year) have also managed to amble along in the SPL for years.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 18:25

We would have to increase salaries and the squad which we could afford in the first and second season.
We would have a higher average gate as well with the likes of Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Utd and the bigot brothers coming to town.
Financial wise it would be great and if Livingston and StJohnstone etc can survive there, I see no reason we couldn’t.
As a fan though, I enjoy the Championship much more as we would be cannon fodder in the Premiership and it really isn’t enjoyable

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 18:56

It`s a huge if, but IF we were to go up, we`d also need to hope at least one side had an utter shocker of a season. We`d have to recruit very, very carefully.

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 19:13

It would obviously be good for the club and I hope we do it. We would need to make wholesale changes to the squad, there`s not many in there that could make the step up currently. Possibly Edwards, Comrie, Benedictus and Otoo would manage it. Even if we went up and came straight back down, that could help with financing the long term plan
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: adj27  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 19:26

Dundee just announced losses of £2.5 million with players wages taking up 95% of income - competing in the Premier League is costing them a fortune

Andy
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kdy Par  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 19:29

Quote:

adj27, Tue 9 Apr 19:26

Dundee just announced losses of £2.5 million with players wages taking up 95% of income - competing in the Premier League is costing them a fortune

That’s for last season in the Championship…. What a ridiculous wage bill.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 20:44

Quote:

adj27, Tue 9 Apr 19:26

Spent 2.4 million on sand
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net