DAFC.net
Home 18 October 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Mcpake’s Experienced signings
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 21 Jul 08:34

Though I would take a look at the experienced players (over 22) brought in since mcpake joined the club. Aim of this was to try and work out if he’s been hamstrung by the board in who he can sign and wages or is he doing himself no favours in fishing from a very small pool of players already known to the management team.

2022/23
Benedictus - Dundee
McGowan - Dundee (loan)

2023/24
Jakubiak - Dundee
O’hallaran - st Johnstone
Kane - at Johnstone (loan)

2024/25
Kane - st Johnstone
Wotherspoon - st Johnstone

Welch hayes is the only experienced player to come in with no previous connection to the manager or assistant.

So 7 experienced players brought in, in just over 2 seasons, 86% were already known to the manager.

I would argue that’s not enough experienced players to bring in but given his first season was after a relegation he won’t have had much to work with. I haven’t included contract extensions to experienced players in this.

So does look like mcpake is limiting himself to players he knows and if not questions should be asked why players he doesn’t know are refusing to join, is there a reputation issue? Also does feel like he hasn’t signed enough experienced pro’s, this is offset by contract extensions given to a number of experienced pro’s when we went up.

If mcpake was given more budget to add quality and experience to the squad would he look outside of Dundee and st Johnstone? That we don’t know but the stats suggest no it will be more of the same if it’s a perm signing and maybe if it’s a loan.

Post Edited (Sun 21 Jul 08:39)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Mcpake’s Experienced signings
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sun 21 Jul 08:51

Think the challenge here is Scotland at our level is a very small transfer market, and the players we’ll be looking at will be the same as our opposition and that’s where previous relationships come into play, you’d rather join a club with people you’ve worked with before or know well so you’re clear on what you’re getting than know very little.

I’m not too surprised by the above post on that basis. I don’t think he’s been exploring his own book of contacts, just unable to get them over the line.

Post Edited (Sun 21 Jul 08:52)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Sun 21 Jul 10:53

I`m surprised this hasn`t been brought up before!

I really think you`re off down a rabbit hole on this. It seems quite simple to me.

There`s a limit budget for players, so effectively a limit on how many experienced (££) players we can afford.

In that scenario any hiring manager (in any industry) will favour people they`ve worked with before. They know what they bring to the table, how good they are, how hard they work, how trustworthy, etc.

If they have £1k/w to spend and have 2 candidates who seem more or less equally qualified, they`re always going to with the person they know (assuming they had a positive dealings with them).

And it works the other way. Players with 2 equal contract offers will favour working with people they`ve enjoyed working with before.

I don`t think there`s any issue with this approach, per se. The problem is the judgment of the players. Maybe they`re not at the level he thought they`d be.

Plus budget constraints, formation, tactics, etc.

I think stuff about previous clubs is a minor detail in the bigger picture.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 21 Jul 12:26

Interesting FCDA, I wonder what they expected from the likes of o’hallaran given he doesn’t fit in anywhere to the formation and has struggled to make any contribution in a pars top.

Theres very little reasoning behind his signing except he was out of contract and utilised his contacts to score a good deal here.

The post below replying to me is by one of .nets finest champions of mediocrity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OorWullie  
Date:   Sun 21 Jul 12:35

Quote:

fcda, Sun 21 Jul 10:53

I`m surprised this hasn`t been brought up before!

I really think you`re off down a rabbit hole on this. It seems quite simple to me.

There`s a limit budget for players, so effectively a limit on how many experienced (££) players we can afford.

In that scenario any hiring manager (in any industry) will favour people they`ve worked with before. They know what they bring to the table, how good they are, how hard they work, how trustworthy, etc.

If they have £1k/w to spend and have 2 candidates who seem more or less equally qualified, they`re always going to with the person they know (assuming they had a positive dealings with them).

And it works the other way. Players with 2 equal contract offers will favour working with people they`ve enjoyed working with before.

I don`t think there`s any issue with this approach, per se. The problem is the judgment of the players. Maybe they`re not at the level he thought they`d be.

Plus budget constraints, formation, tactics, etc.

I think stuff about previous clubs is a minor detail in the bigger picture.

Would agree with that. Human nature isn’t it ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fly boy  
Date:   Mon 22 Jul 19:56

They are all injury prone has beens

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net