DAFC.net
Home 25 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Johnson Press
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Fri 16 Nov 23:15

This should probably be in off Topic. But as Johnson Press have gone into administration it will mean that the unionist rag the “ Scotsman “ will bite the dust.

Good riddance.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Johnson Press
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 16 Nov 23:26

Back in the 1970s The Scotsman was actually a very strong supporter of independence for Scotland. It was worth a read back then.

When Andrew Neill, he of Today in Politics, became editor he launched a unionist Thatcherite line which was clearly idiotic, since The Scotsman was very much the paper of the professional public sector, especially in education, banking and law. I always assumed he did this to destroy the readership for political reasons, which came unstuck.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 16 Nov 23:31

Yay people who share a different opinion to mine and some who don't are going to lose their jobs. Up the workers huh.
Is The National also a "rag"?.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parahandy  
Date:   Sat 17 Nov 00:06

Just like the Pars disappeared?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Sat 17 Nov 06:57

Those rabid Unionists Lesley Riddoch and Joyce MacMillan will be looking for another berth...
A shame anyway, many great journalists over the the decades learned their craft there. Some stayed for their entire careers, others moved on to pound the typewriters in the booze and fag fumed newspaper offices of Fleet Street.
I used to scrounge a copy to read on the train home from Edinburgh. Norman Mair on rugby and golf was always very informative for someone who knew nowt about either.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Sat 17 Nov 08:15

Must confess that's the icing on the cake to end a fantastic week in politics.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 17 Nov 10:10

The Scotsman website seems like it was designed to discourage people from using it. It's easily the worst I've ever encountered.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sat 17 Nov 19:24

Didn't know they bought The I. Always thought that was one of the better reads.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Perkins  
Date:   Sun 18 Nov 13:54

Would have thought Pars fans would have a better grasp of the potential outcomes from the administration process
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: petrie_pants  
Date:   Wed 21 Nov 15:17

Taken over at the weekend by the company's creditors who reduced the debt and also invested more money in. Not out of the woods but certainly pretty positive in the short to medium term. Glad to see people on here revelling in people potentially losing jobs...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 21 Nov 17:46

Pleased to hear that there is an attempt by the creditors to save the newspaper. It would be a sad day indeed if The Scotsman were to go to the wall.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Nov 18:38

No sympathy for anyone connected to the Scotsman. A propaganda mouthpiece for the Tories and SiU. People who turn a blind eye to thousands dying because of Tory policies. Policies slated by the UN recently.

A few people losing their jobs would be small in comparison.

Looks like the mob that are buying them over will not guarantee their pensions.

What a shame.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Nov 19:33

Absolutely delighted to see this propaganda mouthpiece go to the wall Good riddence. I've actually saved myself over £500 since 2018

Post Edited (Wed 21 Nov 20:06)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Wed 21 Nov 20:01

^^^^^
good riddance
/ˌɡʊd ˈrɪd(ə)ns/
phrase of riddance
said to express relief at being free of an unwanted person or thing.
For info 😉

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Nov 20:08

Quote:

widtink, Wed 21 Nov 20:01

^^^^^
good riddance
/ˌɡʊd ˈrɪd(ə)ns/
phrase of riddance
said to express relief at being free of an unwanted person or thing.
For info 😉

?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Wed 21 Nov 20:27

Still can't spell riddance even after an edit???
I'm disappointed in you 😂

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Thu 22 Nov 09:25

<<When Andrew Neill, he of Today in Politics, became editor he launched a unionist Thatcherite line which was clearly idiotic, since The Scotsman was very much the paper of the professional public sector, especially in education, banking and law. I always assumed he did this to destroy the readership for political reasons, which came unstuck.>>

Andrew Neill interviewed me for a job on The Economist back in the eighties. I didn't get it. Never much liked him since...

:)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Captain Desmond Fancey  
Date:   Thu 22 Nov 09:43

A new low for some on here, reveling in people potentially losing their jobs and pensions.

What truly repugnant individuals you really are.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Nov 11:10

Quote:

Captain Desmond Fancey, Thu 22 Nov 09:43

A new low for some on here, reveling in people potentially losing their jobs and pensions.

Exactly. Johnston Press employees countless reporters up and down the country doing their bit for local democracy. I won't even waste my breath telling you the lengths some of my former colleagues have gone to to ensure a decent quality of local press. But, of course, there are still so blinded and all consumed by the independence question that they revel in this situation. I really do pity you.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 22 Nov 11:43

My son left the Scotsman some years ago and was in the process of moving the pension he had with them (Zurich) into one pot.
Hope it's ringfenced.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bertiesback  
Date:   Thu 22 Nov 12:00

It is quite amazing we can talk about jobs and the their loss when this whole country has been governed by a mechanism that doesn't give a f---k about people or their jobs.

The Scotsman in particular has chosen to turn a blind eye to every f---kup the Tories have made and the damage their policies have caused in the UK while attempting to belittle and distort every good thing the SG has done while acting under significant and stifling Westminster restraint.

No decent person delights in anyone losing their job but the Scotsman has been for years now no more than a Tory propaganda tool delighting in its purveying of fake news and downright lies concerning how Scotland was being run.

No government is perfect and certainly the SG have made some blunders, the difference being their blunders are in the main made in in good faith in an attempt to make Scotland a better place while the Tory blunders are down to policies designed to line the pockets of the rich and continuing their penalising of the poor and less well off. A doctrine defended and supported by the Johnson Press and their editorial staff.

I will raise a glass to the demise of this hellish rag, if and when the day comes.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Nov 12:39

Well said Bertie. Thousands dying annually due to the repugnant Tories and people getting their knickers in a twist about a newspaper that deliberately keeps spouting bare faced lies to keep the murderous government in control.

And don’t get me started on pensions we have one of the lowest in Europe despite having the fifth largest economy in the world.

Another fantastic deal by our masters in WM.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Nov 13:14

First it was Tunnocks tea cakes
And Barrhead travel
That got the Nat flakes
To rage and unravel

Noo it’s the Hootsman
Getting their ire
Cause Indy’s oot the fry pan
and intae the fire

Latest poll 60% remain....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Nov 13:41

Quote:

desparado, Thu 22 Nov 12:39

Well said Bertie. Thousands dying annually due to the repugnant Tories and people getting their knickers in a twist about a newspaper that deliberately keeps spouting bare faced lies to keep the murderous government in control.

And don’t get me started on pensions we have one of the lowest in Europe despite having the fifth largest economy in the world.

Another fantastic deal by our masters in WM.

I'm not a nationalist or a supporter of independence but it would give me zero satisfaction to see the national go under. I certainly wouldn't 'raise a glass' to people with differing opinions to mine, and nothing more, lose their jobs. I've worked at election counts and watched people lose their jobs there and then on that night be comforted by the very people who'll move into their office wearing a different coloured rosette. Some people just have a bit more class than others I suppose.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Nov 13:49

The Hootsman’s regular columnists not only include staunch Indy supporters Riddoch and McMillan, but Kenny MacAskill as well.. He has an article today in fact.
Can the National claim even one non Nat?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Nov 15:51

Latest Poll? The Unbiased SiU poll lol.

Every poll done in the last couple of years has Yes at or around the 45% from 2014.

There will be a few more polls as Brexit becomes clearer and I bet you a pound to a pinch of **** that No or ( remain ) as that poll was worded will be nowhere near 60%.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Thu 22 Nov 17:47

Quote:

desparado, Thu 22 Nov 15:51

Latest Poll? The Unbiased SiU poll lol.

Every poll done in the last couple of years has Yes at or around the 45% from 2014.

There will be a few more polls as Brexit becomes clearer and I bet you a pound to a pinch of **** that No or ( remain ) as that poll was worded will be nowhere near 60%.

Mario only types the 'headlines' emblazoned on the Scotsman and Edinburgh News without mentioning the fine detail even from a skewed SIU sponsored poll.
For example it went 48-52 when asked if there is a no deal Brexit which looks very likely.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Nov 23:45

My experience of nationalism is that if you are not 100% with us then you're 100% against us. Again, as I've said, sinister.

Post Edited (Fri 23 Nov 13:57)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Nov 08:37

Quote:

Captain Desmond Fancey, Thu 22 Nov 09:43

Even more delighted seeing your comments.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Nov 10:04

petrie pants from what you post here I have the impression you have no idea what comes out of the Scotsman every day. If you did you would not be comparing it to the National.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Nov 10:26

Yesterday we had Kenny MacAskill, today Joyce McMillan:-

<https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/if-only-we-had-nicola-sturgeon-at-westminster
-joyce-mcmillan-1-4833849>

Tomorrow, Lesley Piddoch no doot

Post Edited (Fri 23 Nov 10:28)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Nov 10:48

When did name-calling become a necessary part of political criticism for some people? It's difficult to take anything else someone says seriously when they resort to that.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Perkins  
Date:   Fri 23 Nov 12:23

"Topic Originator: Bertiesback
Date: Thu 22 Nov 12:00

"but the Scotsman has been for years now no more than a Tory propaganda tool delighting in its purveying of fake news and downright lies concerning how Scotland was being run."

any examples of fake news and downright lies for a non Scotsman reader please?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Captain Desmond Fancey  
Date:   Fri 23 Nov 12:34

"petrie pants from what you post here I have the impression you have no idea what comes out of the Scotsman every day. If you did you would not be comparing it to the National."

Given that Petrie Pants is employed in journalism I'm going to wager that he knows a damn site more than you do.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Nov 13:06

If he is employed in journalism his post at 23:45 last night needs sub-editing, I think. I can't make sense of it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Nov 14:00

Quote:

Mario, Thu 22 Nov 13:49

The Hootsman’s regular columnists not only include staunch Indy supporters Riddoch and McMillan, but Kenny MacAskill as well.. He has an article today in fact.
Can the National claim even one non Nat?

Yeah. It provides a platform to columnists from across various political parties and with differing views. But let's not have the facts of the matter get in the way of the nonsense and paranoia being spouted by some on here.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Nov 14:22

There's no doubt about its political line though. I used to love the Scotsman and was a subscriber for a while until it lost any semblance of balance in its news coverage and editorials.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Nov 16:15

Michael Fry has a weekly column in the National. He supports Independence but is often quite critical of the Scottish Government. He's still a Tory at heart.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Nov 12:38

"Given that Petrie Pants is employed in journalism I'm going to wager that he knows a damn site more than you do."

What a silly thing to say. That's like saying a clerk of works could tell you how much your house is worth.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Nov 12:55

"Yeah. It provides a platform to columnists from across various political parties and with differing views. But let's not have the facts of the matter get in the way of the nonsense and paranoia being spouted by some on here."

These articles are no more than click bait, often with misleading or inflammatory titles.
If you go to any one of them and scroll down you will see the real purpose - It is a seething mess of unionist hate, bile, insults and libel directed at the author and any connection they have with the SG or the writer's support for independence.

You would indeed have to be thick not to see the rationale behind such articles.

They lure the unsuspecting reader in and then attempts to poison any unbiased (or biased for that matter) feelings to-wards the SG or Scottish Independence.
There is a whole cabal of the same posters (often with Scottish themed names) turn up daily, as if employed, to rip into anyone who has an alternate view and there are no level of insult they won't stoop to.

This is all by Johnson Press design imo and it is this base and crass behaviour that has ruined a decent newspaper while others seem to survive.

Yeah that is what journalism has become and where decent people sell their soul, their standards and their self respect, in order to work. I pity them.

Here are a few of to-day's edifying contributions. Read the article and then the posts. It is the reason it seems the Johnson Press now exists.
https://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland-set-to-be-first-country-in-uk-to-recognise-third-gender-1-4834309

Post Edited (Sat 24 Nov 13:08)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sat 24 Nov 15:59

Agree with Bertie. This isnt about the columnists at all but their editorial line which is a total click bait exercise such as the now tired online independence poll they use regularly to entice people to add to their finances just by clicking on the website.
Daily Record are no better.
They were a decent paper up until Andrew Neil took control and it hasn't improved any since he left.

Most Indy supporters I know don't want a biased paper whether yes or no , just one that reflects the true views of both sides.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 06:32

So Bertie, the Scotsman, which you clearly deplore so rabidly because of its apparent negative line towards the Scottish Government, prints what some would consider a pro Scottish Government article and you still have a problem with that?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 12:29

petrie pants if you read my post again you will see why. It's the new way to influence opinion, I can't believe you are not aware of it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBS  
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 14:19

A lot of the stories in the North Britun are just there as clickbait and a lot of the comments are from followers of Batsh1t Jill.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 14:55

So - what you're suggesting, unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick, is that the Scotsman has printed what I'd consider a pretty positive article for the SG in an attempt to "lure the unsuspecting reader in" and then leave them open to either attack in the comments section?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Nov 11:34

Exactly.

You will see a lot of the same 50-60 unionist posters (many on 3rd user names, often Scottish types of names, who seem to lack knowledge of Scotland) all employing many of the tactics shown here.

https://steemit.com/howto/@ura-soul/how-to-identify-trolls-and-paid-agents-on-social-media-sites

Post Edited (Thu 29 Nov 11:50)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Nov 21:28

Jesus wept.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 15:27

Too much truth for you eh?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 20:44

Bertie. If you honestly believe that's what goes on from day to day in hour workplace then I genuinely feel sorry for you. You're utterly paranoid and misinformed in the extreme.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 21:43

To be fair you only have to look at this forum over the years. The number of unionists who have changed their user names on here, some multiple times, is staggering.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 22:20

Whatever happened to the guy who had the big BREXIT sign as his signature? Was his user name Lochnagar?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: calpar  
Date:   Sat 1 Dec 01:09

Aye, same bus as borris bawbag, noel hunts dug, white dog turds, adam hammils boots, tam docherty and willo fkn flood, fek knows whose driving?
Any more passengers tho?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Dec 20:27

5) The intelligence services manipulate the press

While it is almost impossible to distinguish between conspiracy theories and to prove the extent to which intelligence services and specialised police units have infiltrated the media, Richard Keeble, professor of journalism at the University of Lincoln, thinks “from the limited evidence [their influence] looks to be enormous.” Keeble has written on the history of the links between journalists and the intelligence services in the book chapter – Hacks and Spooks – Close Encounters of a Strange Kind: A Critical History of the Links between Mainstream Journalists and the Intelligence Services in the UK. He quotes Roy Greenslade, who has been a media specialist for both the Telegraph and the Guardian, as saying: "Most tabloid newspapers – or even newspapers in general – are playthings of MI5."

Keeble goes on to say:

“Bloch and Fitzgerald, in their examination of covert UK warfare, report the editor of “one of Britain’s most distinguished journals” as believing that more than half its foreign correspondents were on the MI6 payroll. And in 1991, Richard Norton-Taylor revealed in the Guardian that 500 prominent Britons paid by the CIA and the now defunct Bank of Commerce and Credit International, included 90 journalists.”

Keeble has given many more examples in his book chapter of the intelligence services infiltrating the media and changing the politics of the time, including around the miners strikes and Arthur Scargill in the 1980s and during the lead up to the Iraq war in 2003.

The recent revelations by former CIA employee Edward Snowden showed the extent of co-ordination between the spy agencies of the UK and America – especially between GCHQ and the NSA. They showed, for example, that western intelligence agencies attempt to manipulate and control online discourse with various tactics of deception and reputation-destruction.

David Leigh, former investigations editor of The Guardian, wrote about a series of instances in which the secret services manipulated prominent journalists. He claims reporters are routinely approached and manipulated by intelligence agents and identifies three ways – providing examples for each in his article – in which they do it:

• They attempt to recruit journalists to spy on other people or themselves attempt to go under journalistic “cover.”

• They allow intelligence officers to pose as journalists “to write tendentious articles under false names.”

• And “the most malicious form”: they plant intelligence agency propaganda stories on willing journalists who disguise their origin from readers.

Leigh partly concludes that:

“We all ought to come clean about these approaches and devise some ethics to deal with them. In our vanity, we imagine that we control these sources. But the truth is that they are very deliberately seeking to control us.”

So why do many journalists continue to be duped by the intelligence services? And why are they not open about these attempts to manipulate them? David Rose, a journalist who admitted he had been the victim of a “calculated set-up” devised to foster the propaganda case for the war in Iraq, wrote in the New Statesman:

“One reason, aside from the lunches and the limos, is that editors are extremely reluctant to lose the access they have: the spooks’ stories may be unreliable, but they often make good copy, and if everyone is peddling the same errors, it doesn’t much matter if they turn out to be untrue. Another, as a seasoned BBC correspondent put it to me, may be a judgment that if MI5 and MI6 sometimes peddle disinformation many viewers and readers may not very much care as ‘we’re all on the same side.’”

While we will never know the true extent of secret service influence on the media, there is no doubt that it does happen. And while some BBC correspondents may think that “we’re all on the same side” and that it doesn’t matter if MI5 and MI6 sometimes peddle disinformation, the truth is that it can sometimes have disastrous consequences, such as making war much more likely. The recent Iraq war showed us that the secret services are not always acting in the public interest."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Dec 20:30

Manufacturing Consent The Political Economy of the Mass Media Paperback / softback

by Noam Chomsky, Edward S. Herman

Description

Contrary to the usual image of the press as cantankerous, obstinate, and ubiquitous in its search for truth, Edward Herman and Noam Chomsky depict how an underlying elite consensus largely structures all facets of the news.

They skilfully dissect the way in which the marketplace and the economics of publishing significantly shape the news.

They reveal how issues are framed and topics chosen, and contrast the double standards underlying accounts of free elections, a free press, and governmental repression between Nicaragua and El Salvador; between the Russian invasion of Afghanistan and the American invasion of Vietnam; between the genocide in Cambodia under a pro-American government and genocide under Pol Pot.

What emerges from this groundbreaking work is an account of just how propagandistic our mass media are, and how we can learn to read them and see their function in a radically new way.
"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Dec 20:34

Flat Earth News : An Award-winning Reporter Exposes Falsehood, Distortion and Propaganda in the Global Media Paperback / softback

by Nick Davies

Description

Does `fake news' really exist? Find out from the ultimate insider. After years of working as a respected journalist, Nick Davies, in this shocking expose, reveals what really goes on behind the scenes of this contentious industry.

From a prestigious newspaper that allowed intelligence agencies to plant fiction in its columns, to the newsroom that routinely rejected stories due to racial bias, to the number of papers that accepted cash bribes.

Gripping, thought-provoking and revelatory, this is an insider's look at one of the most tainted professions. `Meticulous, fair-minded and utterly gripping' Telegraph`Powerful and timely...his analysis is fair, meticulously researched and fascinating' Observer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Dec 20:35

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Revised Ed : Democracy, the Internet, and the Overthrow of Everything EPUB

by Joe Trippi

Description

When Joe Trippi signed on to manage Howard Dean's 2004 presidential campaign, the long-shot candidate had 432 known supporters and $100,000 in the bank. Within a year the most obscure horse in the field was the front-runner, with $50 million in the campaign till, thanks to Trippi and his team. The Revolution Will Not Be Televised is the incredible story of how Joe Trippi's revolutionary use of the Internet forever changed politics as we know it. Trippi's memoir cum manifesto offers a blueprint for engaging Americans in real dialogueand is an instruction manual for how businesspeople, government leaders, and anyone else can make use of democracy. In a new afterword, Trippi reviews how these lessons have influenced the 2008 campaign, a race marked by higher voter interest than any other in recent history.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Dec 20:58

https://phys.org/news/2018-07-social-media-globally.html

"Overall, the use of organised social media manipulation campaigns is a big business. "We estimate that tens of millions of dollars are spent on this type of activity," says Howard. "Some of the money may be spent on legitimate advertising on social media, but there is certainly a growing industry for fake accounts, online commentators, and political bots."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Dec 21:02

GCHQ has tools to manipulate online information, leaked documents show
Documents leaked by Edward Snowden reveal programs to track targets, spread information and manipulate online debates

"The UK intelligence agency GCHQ has developed sophisticated tools to manipulate online polls, spam targets with SMS messages, track people by impersonating spammers and monitor social media postings, according to newly-published documents leaked by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden.

The documents – which were published on First Look Media with accompanying analysis from Glenn Greenwald – disclose a range of GCHQ "effects" programs aimed at tracking targets, spreading information, and manipulating online debates and statistics.

The disclosure comes the day before the UK parliament is due to begin up to three days' debate on emergency legislation governing British surveillance capabilities. With cross-party support the bill is expected to be voted through this week.

Guardian Today: the headlines, the analysis, the debate - sent direct to you
Read more
Among the programs revealed in the document are:

• GATEWAY: the "ability to artificially increase traffic to a website".

• CLEAN SWEEP which "masquerade Facebook wall posts for individuals or entire countries".

• SCRAPHEAP CHALLENGE for "perfect spoofing of emails from BlackBerry targets".

• UNDERPASS to "change outcome of online polls".

• SPRING BISHOP to find "private photos of targets on Facebook".

The document also details a range of programs designed to collect and store public postings from Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google+, and to make automated postings on several of the social networks.

Capabilities to boost views of YouTube videos, or to boost the circulation of particular messages are also detailed.

GCHQ has also, the document suggests, developed capabilities to scan and geolocate the IPs of entire cities at a time.

The document does not detail the legal restrictions on using any of the programs, nor state how often any were deployed. Several of the programs, though, are described as being at "pilot" stage.

GCHQ declined to provide First Look Media with a detailed statement, but told the outlet all its programs were "in accordance with a strict legal and policy framework" with "rigorous oversight".

Greenwald characterised the GCHQ statement as "questionable" in his article.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jul/14/gchq-tools-manipulate-online-information-leak

Post Edited (Sun 02 Dec 10:38)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Dec 23:46

Who put the lines through the text?

I copy and pasted it. Weird.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 08:33

Quote:

petrie_pants, Fri 30 Nov 20:44

Bertie. If you honestly believe that's what goes on from day to day in hour workplace then I genuinely feel sorry for you. You're utterly paranoid and misinformed in the extreme.

Do you still believe Berties paranoid PP or is his recent posts just fake news?

Post Edited (Sun 02 Dec 08:34)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 10:30

Admin, was it you who put the line through the text above? If you look at the link there is no strike through. I copy and pasted it and suddenly this line has appeared through the text. I have never seen this before.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: calpar  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 10:35

Recent posts arent fake news, but certainly not new news, if these things need to be pointed out and come as somekind of new revelation to people using tinternet, then they really shouldnt be on tinternet
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 10:44

Calpar,
I could show these posts to just about every person I know and it would be a surprise to them so there is no need to take that attitude.

You have to look for this kind of information and many don't because they are in a bubble where they naively don't thing the Establishment would stoop to such tactics. Petrie is obviously one of them and I treated his scepticism respectfully despite the tone of his reply
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 13:04

While I don't agree entirely with Bertie, there is a degree of truth to what he says. Newspapers have shareholders who have their own interests - political, business or otherwise. In the case of Scottish Independence, these private entities were faced with the potential of having to face two sets of rules and sell in two different markets. Anyone with an elementary understanding of economics can see why the majority of the press behaved as they did. Most of the mainstream Scottish papers are subsidiaries of a London company. If you owned a business and were suddenly going to find 9% or your market under a different jurisdiction would you not try and influence things? And if there is a denial of the existence of trolls on all sections of the political spectrum then all you can do is shake yer heid!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 15:17

It goes further than that imo HJ.

There are factions (faceless probably) who see Scottish Independence and EU/Brexit as threats to English national security.

While this may seem shocking (some might say paranoid) it is also understandable. England consider themselves to be the UK, they always have. To them it would be no different to losing Yorkshire.

They tried for years to absorb Scotland into being part of England and failed. Then with almost little effort Scotland fell into their laps due to the greed and desperation of a few rogues who put their personal fortune above the good of their countrymen.

Of course it was painted as a union of equals but anyone who has ever been part of a merger or partnership knew that to be short lived. Imbalance of Power, Wealth, Population and foreign influence was always going to tip the balance.

Now the prospect of almost half the landmass with all it's existing and future resources falling into the hands of a government who would not take instruction from WM must fill them with fear and foreboding.

So it is to be expected that rUK/England would not even think of playing by any recognisable democratic rules when it comes to these matters. Losing Scotland is seen by these people as similar to a loss in war and is therefore for them a no holds barred conflict. In short we are treated no differently to terroists when it comes down to our perceived threat to them.

To that end any psychological/propaganda/character assassination via all the available media is fair game especially when computerised social media and forums allow these people (who work for or on behalf of the Establishment) to work anonymously.

Our whole democratic process is breaking down and soon the ordinary man in the street will be unable to trust anyone (or any information source) especially if they are employed by the media.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 23:29

Bertie

The original piece which you cut and pasted had an "s" in square brackets after the word "masquerade" which has been interpreted as an instruction to score through everything thereafter.

like so
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 23:30

This podcast may interest you if you want to know about the latest "fake news"
https://www.notanotherfakenewscast.com/episodes

They also have an event on the 6th with the Scottish Secular Society.

https://www.facebook.com/events/251568052191186

"On December 6th we will host Not Another Fake News Cast for our end of year event! Not Another Fake News Cast is a Scottish based News & Politics podcast which tries to sift through the misreporting, fake news & sometimes outright lies presented to us all on a daily basis. They cover a diverse range of topics in a lighthearted way and will provide a fun and interesting end of year event.

Along with fake news they will present a section focussing on misrepresentation & politicisation of religion, mainly looking at antisemitism & islamophobia in British politics.

They cover a diverse range of topics in a lighthearted way and will provide a fun and interesting end of year event.

https://www.notanotherfakenewscast.com/about-us
https://twitter.com/PGMcast

The event will be hosted at our usual venue: 17 Queens Crescent, Glasgow. Doors will open at 19:00 for a 19:30 start. 

We hope to see you all there to see off the year!"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Dec 09:38

Thanks MT.
I wonder why it was done because in my long history :) of cutting and pasting I have never come across it before.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Dec 10:05

It gets better and better.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/31/british-army-facebook-warriors-77th-brigade

"The British army is creating a special force of Facebook warriors, skilled in psychological operations and use of social media to engage in unconventional warfare in the information age.

The 77th Brigade, to be based in Hermitage, near Newbury, in Berkshire, will be about 1,500-strong and formed of units drawn from across the army. It will formally come into being in April.

The brigade will be responsible for what is described as non-lethal warfare. Both the Israeli and US army already engage heavily in psychological operations.

Against a background of 24-hour news, smartphones and social media, such as Facebook and Twitter, the force will attempt to control the narrative."

Will these be used in another independence referendum - who knows. All we will see is some made up account telling us we are "better together" while it tells us we will lose our pensions in an independent Scotland.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Dec 13:05

And you'll not be able to stay in the EU....
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net