DAFC.net
Home 26 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Euro Elections Poll
Topic Originator: Captain Desmond Fancey  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 19:18

Very interesting YouGov (yeah, I know) poll out today showing Nigel Farage's Brexit Party currently in the lead on 27% ahead of next month's European Elections. Ahead of Labour on 22% and the Tories on an embarrassing 15%.

Great to see Mr Farage back giving the two main parties a bloody nose. If these elections do take place - don't be too surprised to see a deal miraculously reached before they have to - then both Labour and especially the Tories are going to pay a heavy price for failing to deliver Brexit.

Not to mention, I'm sure the EuroSceptic MEPs who get elected are going to make things as difficult as they can in Brussels.

Having signed up to them I will definitely be voting for them should the elections take place.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Euro Elections Poll
Topic Originator: Superally  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 19:44

Obviously overexcited already, box of tissues handy?

2009/10, 2010/11, 2013/14, 2015/16 dafc.net Prediction League Champion

It's a well known medical fact that some men were born two drams below par.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 21:15

Didn't UKIP get 27% last time? Plus ça change.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 22:19

Go Nigel!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 22:40

The euro elections? Who cares? The fact this whole brexit fiasco hasn't been resolved yet doesn't make these elections for Strasbourg any more relevant.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 09:51

Everybody should care about these elections TOWK. First chance for the people to send a clear message out to the Westminster clique about how we feel about Brexit.

McCaig you are indeed correct. However, they are currently polling at around 7-8% so added to Nigel's 27% it's a pretty good overall percentage for the hardline EuroSceptics.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 10:42

I can only hope CDF that you don't give your vote to the party of Yaxley-Lennon.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 10:48

I can certainly give you that assurance. I will be voting for Nigel Farage's Brexit Party.

Fully supportive of his reasons for not wanting any kind of coalition with UKIP.

The good old days
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 12:08

SNP polling at 35% of the vote in Scotland.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 12:23

"SNP polling at 35% of the vote in Scotland."

Isn't that quite low for them ? How are Brexit Party polling up here ?

Another interesting poll out today showing for a Westminster election the Tories are now only polling 23% with Brexit Party at 14%. Incredible for a party which has only officially existed for a week or so.

Of course the big downside of all of this is that it could well hand that Marxist idiot Corbyn the keys to 10 Downing Street. Then we would all be up the creek without a paddle.

The good old days
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 12:45

I actually don't know by European election standards. Think the article quoted the Brexit party running about 13% which was joint third with the Greens. Labour quoted as 2nd with 16% and the Tories in 4th with 10%.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 23:21

Apathy will probably play a big part in the Euro elections.

Turnout is usually low so the party which can get people motivated to vote will win.

The Brexit Party should do well and give a bloody nose to both the Conservatives and Labour.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 23:42

If polls translate to votes on the day the results in Scotland will give the following number of MEP's
SNP - 3
Greens - 1
Labour - 1
Brexit Party - 1
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Fri 19 Apr 06:57

A Scottish MEP is retiring after 20 years.

Anyone name him without looking it up?

What would he have accrued in salary, expenses, freebies etc over two decades?

Achieve anything of note? Anything at all? Do any of them?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Apr 08:45

Apart from Farage I couldn’t name one of the UK’s 70+ MEP’s
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 19 Apr 09:13

Who could forget David Coburn?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Fri 19 Apr 09:27

It's a Labour guy but don't remember who he is.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Apr 09:55

Yes, Farage an exception to the rule in that perhaps he did achieve something.

Only time will tell though.

In the meantime he can enjoy the sight of the Tories eating each other like cannibals who have run out of missionaries, and Labour MP’s giving the old V sign to constituents who voted around 70% leave.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Malcolm Canmore  
Date:   Fri 19 Apr 20:03

I have no intention of voting for anyone who wants to join that bunch of freeloaders. Will add “Guy Fawkes” to list of candidates and put my “X” beside it.

My dog eats meat
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Apr 23:28

Alas a spoiled ballot all goes under the one umbrella which includes, among others, a protest vote and those whom are too stupid to fill out the ballot paper correctly. The authorities make no distinction.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sat 20 Apr 09:53

We should have a 'none of the above' option. Would probably win the popular vote though!

Post Edited (Sat 20 Apr 10:30)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Apr 10:12

Brewsters Millions stylee!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 14:24

The weak begging the rich for scraps.
Gave some spine....Brexit party ffs😂

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 20:03

Care to translate?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Wed 24 Apr 07:51

Quote:

DBP, Sat 20 Apr 09:53

We should have a 'none of the above' option. Would probably win the popular vote though!

Sounds like a good idea, so had a quick investigation. They only allow 'independent' as a candidates description on the ballot paper, or a registered party name. They also charge a £5k deposit!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 May 08:27

Tories now polling as low as 10% and behind both the Lib Dems and the Greens !

The more the left and centre continue to attack Farage, the more his popularity seems to grow. When, if ever, will they learn?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Wed 15 May 23:05

Are you suggesting that if the Left and Centre start to support Farage then their own support will grow?

Is this analysis valid in any way outwith a state mental hospital?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 May 06:25

I think you know exactly what I'm suggesting and it's nothing like your way of thinking.

However, for the benefit of the doubt... Perhaps if they focused more on their own message and ran a more positive campaign (rather than the state sponsored hatchet job they're trying to run) then less people would be inclined to vote for Mr Farage.

What they forget is that his party has actually United left and right and I, for one, can't wait to see his triumph next week
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 May 09:24

Farage has stood for Westminster as an individual and failed.

The Referendum wasn’t about him, and neither is this election, but it could be the biggest protest vote ever.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Thu 16 May 11:41

It's a bit ironic that the German passport holding Farage has only ever managed to get into the one parliament he hates.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 May 16:05

Farage is not uniting right and left in terms of his politics. He has picked up about 20% of the traditional Labour vote in areas of high unemployment on the Brexit issue, but I have yet to hear anything from him about he will regenerate any of these places. The Daily Express is not venerating Farage in order for him to put money into the pockets of ordinary people; at best anyone unemployed voting for Farage’s vision of Brexit will be offered low paid work at present done by immigrants, with benefits removed if they refuse. Farage himself will have scarpered off to his home in France once that unfolds, having transferred the exploitation of working people from its present Brussels banking clique to an Anglo-American clique, all in the name of taking back control. He’s offering the serfs a chance to choose their master.

Those on the political left who make common cause with Farage should read history more wisely. That includes George Galloway, a man normally very sensitive about who he shares platforms with. In November 1932 the Left and Right parties united in supporting the Berlin Transport workers strike, with Goebbels and Thaelmann, the Communist leader, sharing a platform. Their dislike for the Weimar system was as strong as Farage’s and Galloway’s dislike for the EU so they made common cause, resulting in some proletarian support for Naziism as the famous photo underneath shows. Within six months Thaelmann was being horse whipped in Dachau and his party had been banned, along with all the others and the trade unions gutted.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 May 17:01

Moviescot, there are more than a few who have a British passport they don’t like sitting in a parliament in Britain they like even less
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Thu 16 May 17:49

Payed up member of the SNP here , even voted them by proxy when I was in the navy back in the late 70's .
Can't vote for them next week . I voted leave , and Brexit will be getting my vote next week . Sad to say , let down by Westminster and equally so by Brussels . SNP . but not this time

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 May 18:13

Which mp's are those Mario?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 May 20:48

Farage railing against the Establishment over here is as laughable as Trump railing against the Establishment in the US.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 May 21:52

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Thu 16 May 18:13

Which mp's are those Mario?

Think he's referring to the Unionist parties who have their headquarters in London sitting in the Scottish Parliament.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 May 07:41

You? think? ..you’re a walking oxymoron son
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 May 08:35

Latest YouGov poll (7,000) voters now has Lib Dems in second place on 16% and Brexit Party polling on 35%.

Really hope that, for once, these polls are accurate. Tories down on 9% and the two "big" parties set to have no representation in Scotland at all. Currently looking like SNP with 3 seats, Brexit party with 2 and the Greens (well, it can't all be good news) on 1.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 May 09:19

Whit aboot the party led by airhead Heidi. Chuka,mad eyed wifie Soubry etc
Heading from anonymity to extinction one hopes
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 May 20:41

Quote:

Mario, Fri 17 May 07:41

You? think? ..you’re a walking oxymoron son

Thanks auld yin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 May 21:25

Quote:

Captain Desmond Fancey, Fri 17 May 08:35

Latest YouGov poll (7,000) voters now has Lib Dems in second place on 16% and Brexit Party polling on 35%.

Really hope that, for once, these polls are accurate. Tories down on 9% and the two "big" parties set to have no representation in Scotland at all. Currently looking like SNP with 3 seats, Brexit party with 2 and the Greens (well, it can't all be good news) on 1.

But Brexit party are only polling at 12% in Scotland...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Tue 21 May 22:50

Panelbase poll on independence at a three year high..48 %. No loaded question that can be spun, just a simple yes or no , should Scotland be an independent country?

Coming on the back of a Yougov poll recently that had support for independence at a similar percentage, things are looking good.

Another poll showing that if there was a GE tomorrow SNP would win 57 seats and greens 2. Armageddon for unionist parties.

No appetite for independence shout parties in Scotland that are struggling to get 20%....

It seems like there is no appetite in Scotland for unionist parties.

Apart from those who are tainted with a streak of religious bigotry, and unfortunately there are too many in Scotland, including MSP’s like Murdo Fraser.

What about those wallopers that gathered in George square recently in support of the union, many of them hiding their faces waving Saltires for the BBC then dumped the flags on park benches five minutes later.

Scotland’s shame.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 May 23:56

Another poll showing that if there was a GE tomorrow SNP would win 57 seats and greens 2. Armageddon for unionist parties

Have you a link to that? It seems an unlikely scenario given the Greens polled fewer than 6,000 votes last time. Which seats are they going to beat the SNP in?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 07:15

Despy, any poll that shows the Greens winning a Scottish seat in a GE can be safely ignored. As should your inane slavering.

Crow about 48% for Indy if you want, there was a poll just before the Ref in 2014 that was over 50% but you still lost. These pollsters always apportion the the don’t knows equally, but when it comes to the crunch they mostly don’t jump.

The SNP isn’t Scotland, just get that, most of us don’t vote for them. To imply that the majority who don’t share their Indy obsession are religious bigots is beyond wallopery.

Post Edited (Wed 22 May 07:32)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 08:05

Quote:

desparado, Tue 21 May 22:50

Panelbase poll on independence at a three year high..48 %. No loaded question that can be spun, just a simple yes or no , should Scotland be an independent country?

Coming on the back of a Yougov poll recently that had support for independence at a similar percentage, things are looking good.

Another poll showing that if there was a GE tomorrow SNP would win 57 seats and greens 2. Armageddon for unionist parties.

No appetite for independence shout parties in Scotland that are struggling to get 20%....

It seems like there is no appetite in Scotland for unionist parties.

Apart from those who are tainted with a streak of religious bigotry, and unfortunately there are too many in Scotland, including MSP’s like Murdo Fraser.

What about those wallopers that gathered in George square recently in support of the union, many of them hiding their faces waving Saltires for the BBC then dumped the flags on park benches five minutes later.

Scotland’s shame.

All very good but 48% is still a minority so really morning to crow about.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Wed 22 May 11:31

48% is still a minority yes but given this is even before Brexit has happened, I'd say it'll be comfortably over the 50% threshold before too long, particularly if Boris becomes PM.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Wed 22 May 11:31

That's a starting point before a campaign though. What was the starting point prior to the first IndyRef, about 25%?

Can't believe (well, I can) anyone with half a brain would vote for the Brexit Party. No manifesto, very shady funding (bots adding a just below the reportable limit amount many more times than they've had visits to their website.on top of the Aaron Banks stuff), the cult of (7 times failed to be elected as an MP) Farage, the disaster capatilats involved, being in favour of an insurance based Health Service, etc. I know the other major parties aren't much better but this lot are genuinely dangerous.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 11:48

That'll be the same "shady funding" that the Electoral Commission spent 7 hours investigating yesterday and found no misconduct ?

For anybody who believes in Brexit - as I passionately do - the Brexit Party is pretty much the only option. UKIP are far too far to the right to be relevant.

With polls today showing Brexit Party as high as 38% you've done a decent job of insulting a rather large part of the UK electorate.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 11:51

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Wed 22 May 11:31

48% is still a minority yes but given this is even before Brexit has happened, I'd say it'll be comfortably over the 50% threshold before too long, particularly if Boris becomes PM.

Your assuming it will increase. You don't know. I know that support surged the last time but from a very small base. Much more difficult to move from 48% since a lot of the 52% will be hard-line. How many of the 20% that moved to independence are as hard-line?

It's all quess work .
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 13:10

Brexit Party is now at 37% apparently but the combined vote for the parties seeking a second referendum could still exceed that so I'm not sure it would be as resounding a victory as Farage claims.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 13:24

Quote:

moviescot, Wed 22 May 11:51

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Wed 22 May 11:31

Your assuming it will increase. You don't know. I know that support surged the last time but from a very small base. Much more difficult to move from 48% since a lot of the 52% will be hard-line. How many of the 20% that moved to independence are as hard-line?

It's all quess work .

If we say 48% is a starting point, then I'd work out as around 100,000 minds would need to change to get over 50%
Not impossible by any means.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 14:30

If EU nationals are allowed to vote again there should be around 100,000 registered to vote and I would guess the majority of them would vote to rejoin the EU.

I'm not sure how accurately the poll picks up that potential number of votes.

They also might be banned from voting next time which would be pretty unfair.

Edit: typed 200k instead of 100k

Post Edited (Wed 22 May 14:48)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 16:13

"That'll be the same "shady funding" that the Electoral Commission spent 7 hours investigating yesterday and found no misconduct ?"

Wow, a whole 7 hours you say? Even then, they visited the offices and found nothing there but will still be looking into their funding as well as the £450,000 from Banks that Farage didn't think he had to declare as he was "leaving politics".

"For anybody who believes in Brexit - as I passionately do - the Brexit Party is pretty much the only option. UKIP are far too far to the right to be relevant."

What do you mean by "believes in Brexit"? What about his comments on the NHS? What about his hypocrisy regarding dual nationality for his family?

"With polls today showing Brexit Party as high as 38% you've done a decent job of insulting a rather large part of the UK electorate."

Turnout is almost always low for these but no matter how big or small the final total of number who vote for them, you're damn right I'll be insulting them. No manifesto, no answers to questions about funds, no answer to questions about Scotland and Wales or the backstop, no answer to anything.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 20:28

Quote:

kelty_par, Wed 22 May 16:13

"That'll be the same "shady funding" that the Electoral Commission spent 7 hours investigating yesterday and found no misconduct ?"

Wow, a whole 7 hours you say? Even then, they visited the offices and found nothing there but will still be looking into their funding as well as the £450,000 from Banks that Farage didn't think he had to declare as he was "leaving politics".

"For anybody who believes in Brexit - as I passionately do - the Brexit Party is pretty much the only option. UKIP are far too far to the right to be relevant."

What do you mean by "believes in Brexit"? What about his comments on the NHS? What about his hypocrisy regarding dual nationality for his family?

"With polls today showing Brexit Party as high as 38% you've done a decent job of insulting a rather large part of the UK electorate."

Turnout is almost always low for these but no matter how big or small the final total of number who vote for them, you're damn right I'll be insulting them. No manifesto, no answers to questions about funds, no answer to questions about Scotland and Wales or the backstop, no answer to anything.

No MPs either, which you need to change anything... Just Unionist grievance voter's
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 21:32

Mario even a wee bitter man like yourself must concede that 48% is pretty healthy. People are coming over to Yes slowly but surely and quite a few high profile people. A journo from the economist being the latest...his name escapes me....it’s coming.

Once Brexit kicks in, BoJo lePiffle gets the top job and Farage with the German ex wife and French mistress and the dual nationality kids and the seven million quid in the bank because of Brexit keeps spouting off......support for Indy will only grow among the normal voters in Scotland......you are exempt of course...

Because you belong in one of three/four groups.

A bitter Labour voter who will never give his vote to SNP regardless ( I know you said a while back that you are a floating voter , maybe now considering how bad Dickey’s mob are up here)

Someone who feels sooo British that he will never vote for independence for Scotland regardless how incompetent and down right dangerous the WM gov become and is willing, no in fact will be happy to see Scotland dragged down with those lunatics.

A bigot

Or a mixture of all three.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 21:37

You must be a parody account. You can't actually possibly be for real
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 21:37

This isn’t a Westminster election.

It’s about representation in the EU or lack of it.

Manifestos mean nothing in this election since EU policies trickle down from the Commission, get endorsed by the Council and the Parliament is stuffed by stooges and it becomes law.

The EU is a busted flush which in time will collapse as the finances( or lack thereof) implode and the Brussels elite lose control.
The citizens of the EU are not daft.

The fact the Brexit Party which has existed about the same time as the Change Party( joke of a name as they are all Remainers) is steaming ahead should be no surprise. Nor is the media attempt to discredit Farage ahead of this election. They are, in the main, liberal lefties who continue to disparage the last People’s Vote as it didn’t get the result they wanted.

So much for democracy.

Go Nigel. Stuff them all!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 22:13

"Nor is the media attempt to discredit Farage ahead of this election."

Seriously? He gets served up softballs by all but Channel 4, is never off Question Time, Marr, the news, gets away without answering questions all the time... and if you can point out anything that's been said to "discredit" this Shyster that isn't true that would be handy.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 23:20

Here’s three news items where Farage could make some mileage. First of all, British Steel is bankrupt. Why? Well, maybe that might be the fault of the EU although I would love to see some credible evidence. Would Brexit save British Steel? Answers on a postcard, I think. Nigel, so far as I am aware, has made no comment.

Secondly, around one young man every two days is being knifed to death in the UK, principally in the London area. I have never heard Farage offer even a platitude of how leaving the EU would help this situation, given that policing is a UK responsibility. He is dumb on the issue.

Thirdly, we hear that UK Post Offices are closing on a massive scale. Here surely, is the very issue with which Farage could rally the ordinary citizen; the person who wants a village post office, village school and village pub. But what does he have to say about this vision of little England? Nothing! For he is prisoner of American capital, a fraud of the highest order.

Two recent events have exposed his lukewarm commitment to British life. In the first instance he has denied Channel 4, probably the most respected UK broadcaster, access to his meetings. That is not much of guarantee of liberty or freedom under a Farage regime. Secondly, he has complained at lack of police protection at his public meetings. But the whole point of being a populist demagogue is that you are supposed to have the support of the majority, and not need the protection of the hated ‘establishment’ forces. You can’t have it both ways. A populist hiding behind the cops? That just about sums up the emptiness of Nigel Farage.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 23:40

Kelty
Channel 4, Snow and Frei seriously?
Snow of Glastonbury fame. “F..k the Tories” as he twerked.
Frei who never lets anyone answer fully before he butts in if he doesn’t get the answer he wants.

Sammer
Did you actually read the first line of my post?

Post Edited (Wed 22 May 23:42)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 00:33

Yes, I did read your opening paragraph. But if you think you can isolate leaving the EU from UK politics then you are a simpleton. For the reason I gave: that the day the UK becomes independent from the EU, or indeed the day that Scotland were to become independent of the UK, then the political problems to be addressed would be very same as the day before we left. A single issue politician is a polite word for an obsessive.

After you have applied a coat of paint to the new nationalist symbols they then have to produce something better than before. And Farage has nothing to say about any of this because he is a failed politician who has stood for the UK parliament 7 times and failed on every occasion. He is a bar room bore, only able to grab an audience of late night drinkers whose marriages are broken or whose jobs are at risk. He has never had any answers and to be fair, has never pretended he did. Detail is not his forte. He just feeds of discontent. He claims to speak for the people but runs cared of them and asks for police protection He is a fraud.

Farage has been influential enough to split the UK down the middle and create a political vacuum that he hopes will be filled by American capital, which largely funds his political endeavours. When the workers are screwed and the welfare system totally dismantled, he will be living in France and doing the odd lecture tour in the USA whilst calling for Tommy Robinson to be released from prison. He’ll be laughing then, as he is now.

sammer

Post Edited (Thu 23 May 00:35)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 00:39

BTW Parsbuck,

I did make 5 points in my previous post that you seem to be reluctant to respond to. Feel free to enlighten me regarding the Faragist point of view at your leisure.

For the purposes of simplicity I will list them again as follows:
1. British Steel
2. Knife crime
3. Post Offices

4. Press censorship
5. Police protection
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 08:11

"Channel 4, probably the most respected UK broadcaster"

Lets just leave that line out there....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 08:16

Despy, given your pathetic attempt to parody the accent of Londoners I suspect you are infected with Anglophobic Assholus. There is a lot of it about.

As for for your latest dribblings, there is in element of truth in that I am indeed a tactical “anyone but SNP” voter. There are a lot of us about.

With both parents born dan sath as you would put it, no I don’t want my relatives down there living in a foreign country thanks very much.

I am a not the slightest religious type married to a Catholic, a Church incidentally that kindly provided a funeral service for my non Catholic mother, so you can stuff your own bigotry up your poo chute and plod off.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 11:09

The rule of the mob...

Respected member of local community outside his Polling Station today.

This is what happens when the left wing goes unchecked.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Thu 23 May 11:10

And indeed the right wing, problems with people on all sides that struggle to appreciate other people's opinions and views...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 11:13

^^ Point accepted.

The situation in this country is really getting out of hand right now.

The good old days
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Thu 23 May 11:21

Absolutely
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 12:27

What a load of nonsense. Some folk are having milkshakes thrown at them, regrettable but it's hardly the Great Purge now is it. Poor Jo Cox and her family are the ones who can say that the country is getting out of hand. Even so most of us will carry on going along to our local community centre or primary school and put a wee cross in a box. Not quite on the brink of anarchy I'd suggest.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 13:05

Not so long ago in Denmark a politician had cake thrown at him. People laughed and said it was nothing. 2 months after that we was murdered.

Who's to say we're not at the start of some kind of slippery slope too. It's absolutely bloody shameful that a veteran with 22 years service can't even wear a Rosette in public without being attacked by some cowardly left wing thugs.

Still if you want to belittle it, bash on.

The good old days
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Thu 23 May 13:17

The horror of 'Lefties' throwing harmless milkshake at Tories...

Let's forget that a Europhobe murdered Joe Cox in cold blood because of her views
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 13:19

Maybe milkshakes are cheaper than eggs. 🤣
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Thu 23 May 14:27

I really wish the milk shaking would stop. For one thing it's counterproductive and allows Farage and co to perpetuate the myth that they are some kind of oppressed minority.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 14:39

There seem to be a lot of instances of European nationals being denied a vote due to 'administrative errors' in processing forms they submitted to register for a vote.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 15:38

So the poll has been rigged to exclude EU citizens. Seeing that crates of Yes votes were dumped in the Tweed in 2014 is anyone surprised?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 15:39

"The horror of 'Lefties' throwing harmless milkshake at Tories..."

1 - This elderly gentleman is not a Tory

2 - Harmless for many, but for those who have dairy allergies they can be anything but harmless.

Still, if it gets one over on the Tories it's all OK isn't it. Exactly how I'd expect some left wing bigot to think really.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 16:30

Quote:

Captain Desmond Fancey, Thu 23 May 15:39

"The horror of 'Lefties' throwing harmless milkshake at Tories..."

1 - This elderly gentleman is not a Tory

2 - Harmless for many, but for those who have dairy allergies they can be anything but harmless.

Still, if it gets one over on the Tories it's all OK isn't it. Exactly how I'd expect some left wing bigot to think really.

What!!!!. Dairy allergies. It's not as if he drank it... Who is the elderly gentleman you mention?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 17:12

Quote:

Bandy, Thu 23 May 14:27

I really wish the milk shaking would stop. For one thing it's counterproductive and allows Farage and co to perpetuate the myth that they are some kind of oppressed minority.

Got to be honest I agree with this line of thinking too.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBS  
Date:   Thu 23 May 17:29

Sing-a-long time "My Milkshake likes to cover Farage"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 17:41

Dairy allergies.. a school kid died very recently when a classmate flicked a bit of cheese at him.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 21:12

Quote:

Mario, Thu 23 May 17:41

Dairy allergies.. a school kid died very recently when a classmate flicked a bit of cheese at him.

Yes. An unprecedented reaction according to expert at inquest. He was allergic to loads of things. A pure one off
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 22:59

The essence of democracy is dissent. A milkshake must be the most anodyne form of protest in the world, bar none. How very British. Not even throwing the paper carton in case it hurt Nigel. Reminds me of the Angry Brigade anarchists of the early 1970s who took great care, when placing explosives, not to actually hurt anyone. They succeeded in this and are now consigned to a footnote in history unlike their Baader/Meinhof counterparts.

The sign of a healthy democracy is when the local greengrocer tells you he is out of eggs and old fruit when a local politician is visiting. Long may that continue. Stuff the polls: ask the greengrocer.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Fri 24 May 06:56

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 23 May 14:39

There seem to be a lot of instances of European nationals being denied a vote due to 'administrative errors' in processing forms they submitted to register for a vote.

Yeah...fancy that eh.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Fri 24 May 12:53

Sweep sweep...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 May 22:10

Strange at the outcry when a few Europeans can’t vote due to administrative failures by local authorities when we shouldn’t be voting at all.
Yet the votes cast by 17.4 million 3 years ago are dismissed.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 May 22:21

Nothing strange about it all. It's not a conspiracy it's just the same old story of governmental ineptitude. Almost certainly didn't make a big difference to the outcome but that doesn't really matter. Almost doesn't cut it when it comes to deciding elections. You should be outraged by this failure of democracy Parbucks but it seems that you feel its only a betrayal of democracy when it goes against you.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 May 22:33

“You should be outraged by this failure of democracy Parbucks but it seems that you feel its only a betrayal of democracy when it goes against you.”

towk:
Can’t believe you have said that when the biggest vote in U.K. history was to leave the EU and those who voted Remain have been fighting it ever since.
So much for democracy, eh? 🤔
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 May 22:46

Oh we absolutely should leave the EU as that's the way vote went. Of course leaving covers a wide spectrum, from no deal to a Norway style agreement. However you seem to not care that a percentage of the UK electorate were denied their democratic right because of a bureaucratic balls up. You know it is possible to be pro brexit and still care that people were denied expressing their democratic voice. In fact to do so when it's your opponents that are denied shows character.

Post Edited (Fri 24 May 22:47)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 May 23:08

They were denied their vote by the failure of some local authorities not by the Government so no conspiracy involved.

As I recall at the time of the last general election there was a late surge in advance of the deadline for registration to vote caused by students and others trying to register. This caused the system to go down for a couple of hours before the deadline. In response it was extended for not a couple of Hours but a couple of Days resulting in around another half a million eligible to vote.

You’re not going to tell me that didn’t influence the outcome?

This disproportionate extension was accepted by democrats like myself.
Sometimes you just have suck it it up.

Post Edited (Fri 24 May 23:13)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 May 23:17

Indeed sometimes you do. Therefore as a democrat you'll grudgingly accept whatever the democratically elected members of our sovereign parliament decide to do regarding brexit. They can always be voted out at the next election.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 May 00:31

Over80% of votes cast at the last GE were for parties whose manifestos said they would honour the result of the referendum.

This meant approximately 70% of constituencies voted to leave.
Sadly, for democracy, many MP’s have reneged on the platform they stood on at the election including my own MP. Hence the political stalemate.

He was been prominent in the anti Brexit campaign until about a month ago until he was threatened with deselection. There has hardly been a peep out of him since. He will not get a chance to be voted out at the next election as he won’t be on the ballot paper.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 May 08:24

Theresa May's deal would have taken us out of the EU.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 May 10:55

It would but not out of their clutches and the jurisdiction of the ECJ. It still didn’t solve the NI backstop issue which she naively proposed herself.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 May 13:49

The issue of the Northern Ireland/Eire border seems an intractable one to me within the context of Brexit. I suspect it was never given any thought by the likes of UKIP and Brexiteers until the vote to leave the EU 3 years ago.

What’s your own solution?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 May 14:29

The USA put a man on the moon 50 years ago with less computing technology than is in an iPhone.

I can’t believe there are not technical solutions that can overcome the alleged difficulties. I suspect there has been no real effort made to resolve this by either party as it didn’t suit their agendas. May/Robbins proposed the backstop without fully understanding the political ramifications in NI. Then compounded it by endorsing the Withdrawal Agreement (sic).

I prefer to believe Lord Trimble who was a signatory to the GF Agreement that a solution is achievable given the will.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 May 14:41

So you don't know what the solution is but you're sure there is one?

I have never heard the DUP's solution to this. I know they don't want a hard border and they don't want NI to be treated any differently from the rest of the UK but what's their solution?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 May 14:47

As someone who has family and friends in towns that straddle the border and even sit on top of the border (and I visit at least once or twice a year), I can tell you the issue of goods and people crossing the border is only half the issue. The real issue is one of identity, Irish and European identity. An identity that the good Friday agreement allowed to prosper and brexit will drive a wedge through regardless of technology.

The only example I can think of that may resonate is that on another thread, someone said that they'd never support Scottish independence as they fundamentally feel British and have family in England and didn't want them to be foreigners... Well that's how all of my friends and family feel over there... The only difference is that they voted to remain and are now being taken out of Europe against their will, but more than that, their 'all Irish/shared European' identity is also being taken from them, so sadly no computer system will change that

Post Edited (Sat 25 May 14:49)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 May 14:51

Technological developments might help but there is no magic solution for checking goods leaving and entering a country, otherwise other countries would be using them right now. The fastest and most efficient system yet developed, which will always trump any technology, is a free trade agreement or common market to give it its old name. Which is what we have at the moment of course.

A ‘hard’ border, which would be the inevitable outcome of the ‘hard’ brexit promoted by right wing media, would in effect be extremely porous of course as the British Army discovered back in the 1970s. Who would pay for it? The EU to stop chlorinated chicken pouring into Eire, or the UK to stop illegal immigrants heading to London via Stranraer?

Trimble’s comment about ‘will’, which I interpret as a plea to ‘goodwill on both sides’ is sensible advice. But so far that goodwill has been absent from the language of Farage and his brexiteers which has been militaristic in tone from the outset. Then there is the democratic deficit of the majority in Northern Ireland having voted to stay in the EU anyway, albeit they are still part of the UK. Why should they show any goodwill to something they did not vote for?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 May 15:55

The EU would insist that Ireland enforce border controls for tariffs, nobody else. Varadkar is but a pawn in their game

The Irish haulier association is also extremely concerned because the bulk of Ireland’s exports to the continent go via English/Welsh ports and roads then onward to the Channel ferry services/Chunnel. Imports the same trip in reverse.
Sheer bureaucratic chaos on the cards.

Talk of additional direct ferries from Ireland is pure baloney, transit by sea is twice as long and expensive.

For the Indy fantasists they need to chew on the prospect of an Indy Scotland in the EU faced with the same situation in spades. We have no ferry service at all, hopelessly uneconomic. Border checks would see queues on both sides for miles.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 May 16:44

Only about 2% of goods entering the EU through Rotterdam Europort from outside the EU are physically checked and that is done miles away from the Port. The documentation is sent electronically while in transit so minimising any checks.
A similar process happens at Felixstowe for most goods entering the U.K. from outside the EU.

This is well known and there is every reason to believe something similar could be achieved in Ireland given goodwill on either side. 90+% of movements are from regular sources and could be given “trusted trader” status and any checks deemed necessary done away from the border.

Politically it suits both Varadkar and the EU to be as intransigent as possible.
May has never shown any great interest in challenging the EU in this area.
“Non” says Barnier.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 May 17:25

Surely it's about freedom of movement. The people of Britain voted to end our 'open borders' and will surely not accept our only land border with the EU being unguarded. Any politician who advocates otherwise is surely a 'traitor' to democracy.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 May 17:45

Exactly., you can't run on the mantra of control our money, or laws and our borders... and then say its not us that wants a border with the EU?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 May 18:11

There has always been freedom of movement of people between Ireland and the U.K. and so long as Ireland remains in the Schengen area I can’t see how that would change. We have already guaranteed “no change”.

As far as goods are concerned it’s only the EU who seem troubled whether that’s real or not remains to be seen.

The Irish say they won’t put up a hard border and so have we.
Where’s the problem? Answers on a postcard to Brussels.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 May 18:20

Funny how goods can move freely across the Irish border in different currencies and VAT regimes. All done electronically with minimum inspection.

Doesn’t seem to be a quantum leap, if there are customs tariffs, to do the same.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 May 18:24

Despite the assurances of no hard border it's the hard Brexiteers who won't accept the backstop.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 May 21:09

And there’s a good reason why.......
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 May 22:53

What is being asked for by Northern Ireland is exceptionalism. For them that is reasonable since that is what they have been granted for the last 400 years. They want to be within the UK outside of the EU, but at the same time when it suits them they want to be inside the EU for trading purposes. Having cake and eat it comes to mind.

This is impossible and can never happen. It is a mirage. An illusion. You are either on the bus or off the bus. And Northern Ireland will have to decide that. You can’t be married and live with your mistress whilst claiming marriage allowance taxation. A decision will have to be made, and the last that happened it was to stay in the EU. So what about democracy then? What has Farage to say to the remainer majority of Northern Ireland?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 May 23:25

Just as those who voted for Brexit are accused of not knowing what they voted for surely the converse applies in NI?

Did those that voted Remain understand the consequences of that decision given the outcome of the negotiations 2.5 years later.

I think we should know.

Post Edited (Sat 25 May 23:29)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 May 00:36

I'm not sure I understand your logic here.
Those in NI who voted Remain voted for the status quo which is a very easy thing to understand, since it is everyday around us. The same goes for those in the UK by the way. So I cannot see how a person who voted for the status quo, even if they were outvoted on the day, was unaware of what they were voting for.

The real issue is the second referendum which will likely follow, when people will have a far clearer idea of the issue of EU membership or not. Since Nigel Farage and his party are, according to right wing media at least, demolishing opponents in every debate and stunning into silence remainers, as well as about to rout pro-EU parties in the recent elections, it is susrprising that they seem very chary of wanting a second referendum which would surely only increase their vote.

sammer

Post Edited (Sun 26 May 00:37)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 May 07:55

Wales never gets a mention, though if you listened to the leader of Plaid Cymru you would never guess they had voted to hop it.
This party incidentally has 4 seats out of 40 in the big Parliament and 10 out of 60 in their pretendy wee one. The fire of Independence burns like a damp clump of leeks doon there.
Anyway, should the Welsh be Welshed on?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Sun 26 May 22:52

Poor Tommy is in the huff apparently blaming social media banning his racist comments for losing.Good I say.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 May 23:11

37% turnout. Exceptionally poor.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 01:01

Disastrous night for Labour in Scotland pushed into 4th, 5th and even 6th place in parts of the country.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 01:12

37% turnout. Exceptionally poor.

Poor, arguably, but surely not exceptionally so?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 27 May 01:55

In Australia, if this turnout occurred, 63% of the voting population would be getting £45 fines for failing to vote. Abandoning your democratic rights can be expensive...

:)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 07:33

Scotland who voted “overwhelmingly” to remain had the UK’s lowest turnout in the EU Ref. 62% of 67% is rather more underwhelming less than half the electorate than over.
In 2014, 25% of so called Yes City inhabitants couldn’t be ersed to vote at all.
Apathy rules.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 08:30

I do wonder when you look at the results map and (yet again) there's a clear difference between how Scotland voted to our chums South of the border... If we'll be treated like an "equal partner" this time, or will the UK focus purely on the brexit voters choice from England and Wales and lurch towards the right and hard brexit?

Post Edited (Mon 27 May 08:31)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 08:34

A ringing endorsement from the people of Scotland for the snp.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 08:44

Depends how you look at it really. Yes they were comfortably in first place here, but their share of the vote is significantly lower than it was in the 2017 general election.

37.7% of a 40% turnout suggests apathy to me rather than any hunger for anything.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 08:50

Oh right well the 32% of the vote the Brexit Party got clearly shows apathy rather than any hunger for anything.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 08:52

Shows you can read numbers any way you want!

It was the best ever EU election result for the SNP who increased their vote share, so yeah, you could say it was a ringing endorsement for SNP / remain.

As per any vote, the result is the result regardless of the non voters.

I'm just delighted the green vote increased across Europe

Post Edited (Mon 27 May 08:53)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 08:58

Labour now deid in Scotland, once you're core support deserts you it's impossible to get them back..... Bye bye Liebour and bring on a GE for the final farewell
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 09:10

Great night again for SNP in Scotland and an absolutely superb night for SNP in England.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 10:03

Excellent whataboutery from TOWK.

I actually think, as much as he'll hide it, Farage will be disappointed with those results. I know I am as hoped they'd get more.

Word is a lot of leave voters stayed at home though because they didn't believe the elections should be taking place and there is some merit in that theory.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 11:20

Lot of people participated in the EU Ref were those who had never voted in any election before.
Having seen what happened in that fiasco they thought why did I bother, never again, starting with this one.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 11:28

Let's be honest a sizable chunk (I'm not saying all or even a majority) of those who voted leave were Yaxley-Lennon types who haven't got the attitude or intelligence to vote on a regular basis.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 11:40

I love it when election results come out and every party finds some comfort from their own result or that of another party. I think desperation has kicked in when folk start citing low turnout as a justification for the results not being representative as if staying at home was indicative of having a strong opinion.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 11:41

And right there is that blatant snobbery, sneering "we know better" attitude that helped boost the leave vote.

The good old days
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 11:56

Supporters of Yaxley-Lennon deserve to be sneered at.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 12:21

Great to see him lose his deposit :)
Didn't even have the good grace to stay for the count.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Mon 27 May 17:04

Pretty resounding win for unambiguously pro-remain parties, who got a good 5% more than the unambiguously pro-leave ones.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 18:27

Matters not a jot how you dress it up. The Brexit Party won last night, and won it comfortably.

Interesting too - albeit unlikely - if those results were repeated in a UK general election they would end up with a 200+ seat majority, and the Cons would have no seats at all !
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 18:32

They would have to produce a manifesto in a General Election and put forward some policies.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 18:38

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 27 May 18:32

They would have to produce a manifesto in a General Election and put forward some policies.

They don't want to stand in a GE for these reasons.
Their whole existence is to back the Tories into a Brexit corner they can't get out of and it is succeeding.
I see nothing other than a no deal Brexit now.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 18:43

if those results were repeated in a UK general election they would end up with a 200+ seat majority

To be honest this only highlights how big a joke our democracy is.

A 200 seat majority from around a third of the votes? In whose fevered imagination was that considered democracy? That's over 70% of the seats for crying out loud.

It's also not much higher than John Major got in 1996 (he got 30.7%)

Broken Britain right enough!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 18:47

I believe the Brexit Party are a registered company and how can a registered company with no manifesto,apart from two fingers to Europe,run the country.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thenatural  
Date:   Mon 27 May 19:42

Quote:

Wotsit, Mon 27 May 18:43

if those results were repeated in a UK general election they would end up with a 200+ seat majority

To be honest this only highlights how big a joke our democracy is.

A 200 seat majority from around a third of the votes? In whose fevered imagination was that considered democracy? That's over 70% of the seats for crying out loud.

It's also not much higher than John Major got in 1996 (he got 30.7%)

Broken Britain right enough!

Major in ‘96? He squeaked through in ‘92 with a tiny majority that was hamstrung by eurosceptics from the start. Was then wiped out in ‘97.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 20:31

Euro elections mean nothing in a GE.

UKIP were biggest party in last elections 5years ago. Didn’t win a seat in the last General Election.

First Past the Post makes a big difference to the end result.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 20:54

Sorry, meant '97. Must proof-read better!

And, yes, he was almost wiped out. On 30.7%. Blair got 13% more and a huge majority.

It's not democratic.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 21:04

Who ever said we live in a democracy?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 May 21:20

Lots of people, all the time.

That's why we all need a wee reminder occasionally.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 May 08:51

Interesting - and of course not very scientific - slant on how last week's votes were "really" split between Leave and Remain (despite what the likes of Ed Davey, Vince Cable and Anna Soubry) would have you believe.

All that really remains (pardon the pun) is that the UK is one deeply divided country and it's borderline impossible to say a way out of it.

PS - before any Nat jumps on me, no, Independence isn't the answer either as then you just have a very divided Scotland ;)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 May 09:43

Referenda don't cause division, they measure it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 May 09:57

Cap’n Fancey I like your figures. 55%/45%...such happy memories.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 May 12:16

Quote:

wee eck, Wed 29 May 09:43

Referenda don't cause division, they measure it.

Indeed they do.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Jun 08:43

The Brexit Party fail to win the Peterborough by election. If they couldn't win that seat then they are a busted flush as far as winning significant seats in any general election.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Jun 09:59

"The Brexit Party fail to win the Peterborough by election. If they couldn't win that seat then they are a busted flush as far as winning significant seats in any general election."

Disappointing result, but hardly one for any party to crow about really. Labour - after 9 years in opposition - polling just 30.6% in a seat they have listed as their 13th most marginal.

Election polls still show Brexit Party out in the lead on 26%, 6 points ahead of both Labour and the Tories. Hardly a "busted flush".

The good old days
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Jun 10:05

The party that had their sitting mp jailed and then recalled won the seat despite all the leavers most likely coalescing around the Brexit Party candidate. I detect a sea change now in the public mood regarding leaving. The Brexit Party underwhelmed in the euros and now can't usurp a labour party in turmoil.

Post Edited (Fri 07 Jun 10:06)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Jun 10:42

"I detect a sea change now in the public mood regarding leaving. "

Didn't watch Question Time last night then ?

Let's do what the left/remainers did after the Euros and add up the votes from essentially Brexit backing parties - Brexit, Tories and UKIP. On that basis it was a very comfortable victory for leave.

See....anybody can twist things round to suit their own agenda.

Truth is there is no clear majority for anything right now. The political system in this country is effectively paralyzed

The good old days
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Jun 12:35

It was amusing seeing Farage at Downing Street handing in a letter demanding that his party be involved in official brexit negotiations. Obviously this photo shoot opportunity had been arranged with the arrogant assumption that they weren't going to lose the Peterborough by election.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Jun 12:40

In fairness they were, at best, quietly confident about winning. Ironically enough it was people voting for the Conservatives that got a Labour MP elected.

One thing is for sure from the result too. It's time for UKIP to disband. Only 400 votes last night and polling no more than c1% nationally. Their ridiculous swing to the more extreme right has been their undoing.

I still have faith that the UK electorate will never vote in a Corbyn led government. Just the thought of him, Abbot, Thornberry et al with any kind of power genuinely makes my blood run cold.

The good old days
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Jun 19:38

The Brexit movement, in its first 25 years, actually has a poorer parliamentary record than did the Communist Party of Great Britain during the same time period. I said Brexit movement since although the Brexit Party itself is quite recent, there is a clear link with the Referendum Party and UKIP which preceded it.

Despite high unemployment following WW1, a depression in the 1930s and eventually committing to a successful fight against Fascism, the CPGB only ever managed to win 5 parliamentary seats. The Brexit movement has risen during a time of increased nationalism, a banking collapse and austerity economics yet has only been able to muster 2 MPs. If it can’t win in Peterborough then it is unlikely to win anywhere.

The Brexit Party will continue to have influence and will pick up seats in other types of election. In a similar fashion the CPGB wielded great influence within the trade union movement where workers who would never have voted Communist in a General Election would happily vote for a militant candidate. However as a parliamentary force the Brexit Party, like its leader, is unelectable.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net