DAFC.net
Home 20 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Mother Theresa
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Thu 23 May 18:07

Going tomorrow?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Mother Theresa
Topic Originator: Captain Desmond Fancey  
Date:   Thu 23 May 20:24

It's a cast iron certainty that she is gone. Opinion divided between Friday and next Monday (I think if she "survives" until then she last longer as PM than Gordon Brown, and it wouldn't surprise me if she at least wanted to be able to say that).

For me she should have gone after the 2017 election. Aye she "won" it and their share of the vote was higher than 2015. However, she somehow managed to lose a lead of anything between 5 and 20% in the polls, running a disastrous campaign against the worst opposition leader since Ian Duncan Smith.

Plus an obvious remainer should never have been put in charge of Brexit negotiations.

Some felt sorry for her after seeing the 'teary' pictures of her in the back of the car last night. Couldn't muster anything like that for her though. She has been an absolute shambles as a PM and leaves behind a horrendous legacy.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Thu 23 May 23:12

She was useless as Home Secretary when the police, having been offended by her comments at their trade union gathering, were slow to respond to the Tottenham riots.

She has been useless as PM in charge of Brexit as well, but not for the reasons commonly offered. She cannot force 27 countries to bow to the will of the UK, which was original starting position and her successor will have to realise the same. Johnson, for example , backed her last deal so is never going to be the Churchill isolationist dreamed up by the Daily Express. BTW, Churchill was a great believer in European integration as was Thatcher. But don't tell that to Rees-Mogg or Farage otherwise their legacy will be treachery.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Thu 23 May 23:55

Aye she will probably hang on a wee bitty longer. Another cringe worthy photo shoot with the Donald will be on the cards.

But when bojo the uni cycling clown takes over and appoints the very hands on Ross Thomson as the UK governments groveller in Scotland that should be enough to tip the balance in favour of independence for any right minded/ thinking Scot at least.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Fri 24 May 06:57

She's made the right parasites money, time to jump ship like they all do for another unelected criminal.
#democracy.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Fri 24 May 08:21

We may find out that Fat Eck is a much handier handyman than Ross Thompson.

And if he goes down he’ll see the Witch of Bute Hoose oot the same door he tottered through on that glorious September day...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 24 May 08:42

Mario, is it possible for you to put forward an argument without resorting to name-calling? Most sensible folk gave that up when they left primary school.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 24 May 09:56

May is about to address the nation from Downing Street...
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Fri 24 May 10:14

Crocodile tears at the end there and a very quick exit.

Only she could deem it appropriate to hang on for another fortnight and delay things even more.

I never thought I'd witness a worse Prime Minister than Gordon Brown in my lifetime, but by god we have done with her. Good bloody riddance.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 May 10:18

I would say David Cameron ran her a close second.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Fri 24 May 10:24

I thought that was an impressive speach whether you agreee with the content.It was Cameron pandering to the right wing of the Tory Party that got us into this mess.I suspect it might be a case of better the devil you know ! Johnson as PM - I think I might just have to emigrate and suspect that will lead to the break up of the union.
Unchartered waters ahead.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 24 May 10:25

Gone. She broke down at the end, which was hardly surprising really, given the strain that she must have been under. At the end of the day, she may be remembered as the wrong person at the wrong time.

The prime ministership of Great Britain is a poisoned chalice at the best of times; whoever takes over now will not be given an easy ride in the history books that are yet to be written. He or she is likely to face even tougher obstacles than Mrs May in the months and years that lie ahead.

Who out there doubts that Brexit has more political victims to claim?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 May 10:41

Her break down even looked insincere to me.

I used to have a lot of sympathy for her but find it absolutely impossible to do so now. As a natural Tory - albeit Brexit Party voter this time round - I can't forgive her for the damage she has inflicted on the Party and the country as a whole.

Her handling of Brexit has been a shambles from beginning to end. Her election campaign in 2017 was an absolute disgrace.

She has lied to the electorate time and time again. Good bloody riddance to her.

I don't envy who takes the job on next and Oz you are right, Brexit probably will claim a few more victims before it ever happens or is banished to the history books.

The results on Sunday from these elections may well determine what course the country has to take.

Politics has never been this interesting !

The good old days
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Fri 24 May 10:43

Boris up next

Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 May 10:53

It's a pity she didn't take on board a little earlier the advice she says she was given by Sir Nicholas Winton - 'compromise is not a dirty word'.

There's an astonishing lack of self-awareness in that speech. Taking credit for ending the austerity the Tories created and talking of achieving a nation for all after her brutal immigration policies, Windrush etc is just incredible.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 24 May 12:00

BoJo the 6/4 favourite. Interesting to see what that does to the Indy cause in Scotland if he gets it. I suspect it wont be long before this comes up:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11108429/Boris-Johnson-David-Camerons-pledge-to-Scotland-is-reckless.html
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 May 12:06

Too many MPs don't like him and I think therefore he might struggle to make it into the final 2.

I'll be placing a fiver on Dominic Raab.

The good old days
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 May 12:15

Yeah theres definitely a core of Tories that hate him so will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Raab seems completely incompetent to me but he has a fair chance getting in too.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 May 12:20

"Raab seems completely incompetent to me but he has a fair chance getting in too."

A lack of competency sure didn't stop Theresa May from getting the gig, so you never know.

I don't think the front benches on either side of the house have ever been as bereft of talent as they are just now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Fri 24 May 12:29

"I think I might just have to emigrate and suspect that will lead to the break up of the union."

Oh I think we'll manage to totter along..
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 May 12:33

Absolutely. I think the various factions will be looking to get their person in and its essentially going to be even more of a popularity contest than normal rather than a competency test.

I couldn't even tell you who half the Labour shadow cabinet are they make such little impact.

That being said from an outsiders point of view I think I'd rather have an incompetent Raab then some of the more competent nutters on the right of the party.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 May 13:09

BoJo is definitely the favoured one among the party grass-roots and, if nothing else, it can't be said he lacks charisma.

However, it also can't said the man isn't a complete tit and is unfit to hold any office, far less the office of Prime Minister.

It's utterly mind blowing that Labour are not at least 15-20 points ahead in the polls right now. What does that say about their current leadership. Even PMQ on Wednesday Corbyn failed to land a single blow on May. Focusing on 26 schools closing early on a Friday instead of hammering her over her "deal".

Oh for the good old days of the likes of Margaret Thatcher and Tony Benn and their ilk going at it hammer and tong.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 24 May 13:20

I agree with Ozpar that there will be more Brexit casualties further down the line. The next PM has the same three options that May did.
1. A crash-out Brexit. The height of recklessness, like walking out on a marriage without a divorce settlement. Credit lines cut, new deals to be arranged which could take years to negotiate. Guaranteed short term pain with no guarantee of any future advantage.
2. A negotiated settlement such as May has spent three years trying to achieve. A bit like trying to square a circle since there is not enough common political ground to get a majority for anything.
3. Abandon Brexit. Probably the least worst option, but means ignoring the will of the people (albeit from 3 years ago) and is likely to lead to an angry backlash from voters.

To break the logjam would need either a General Election or some kind of second referendum relating to the terms of Brexit. Maybe both, although that might not take the issue much further forward either. We could be here arguing about this next year.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Sat 25 May 11:04

“We could be here arguing about this next year”.
We probably will regardless of how many manifestos are produced
since they are largely ignored anyway once elected. 😌
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net