DAFC.net
Home 26 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Scottish Labour on the brink.
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Tue 28 May 13:13

Neil Findlay resigns from shadow front bench and standing down as an MSP at the next election.
Rumours are more to follow and Richard Leonard's position under real threat.

Their lack of self awareness has been staggering for many years now and I can't see a way back for them in Scotland.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Scottish Labour on the brink.
Topic Originator: Captain Desmond Fancey  
Date:   Tue 28 May 13:33

For them to have finished fifth is absolutely unthinkable. Thing is UK Labour really needs them if they're ever going to form a majority government again.

Difficult to see how they're going to improve their fortunes
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Tue 28 May 16:05

Quote:

Captain Desmond Fancey, Tue 28 May 13:33

For them to have finished fifth is absolutely unthinkable. Thing is UK Labour really needs them if they're ever going to form a majority government again.

Difficult to see how they're going to improve their fortunes

Do they really? The number of Scottish labour MPs has not been a decisive factor in labour gaining power for many years. In order to get in power at Westminster they need England to vote for them
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 28 May 17:11

So far as I am aware no Labour government has ever been elected due to the Scottish vote. The Scottish vote has been significant in terms of the Labour majority, but not on the actual result.

One major problem for Scottish Labour has been the poor quality of local candidate it has put forward in recent years. I became aware of this some years ago when having to attend sub-committee meetings inside Fife House. The SNP members, Lib Dems and the ‘Independents’ (usually Tories from NE Fife) were pretty much what you would expect, in fact it embarrasses me to say that the last named often seemed the most intelligent and open to different lines of argument. That old Communist stalwart Willie Clarke was impressive too. However too many of the Labour contingent were simply not up to scratch.

The Labour Party in Scotland has not been attracting enough good young people for some time- the liveliest ones generally end up in the SNP or the Greens nowadays. This has had an obvious knock on effect in terms of organisation and who is actually available to stand as MSPs or MPs.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Tue 28 May 17:28

No way back for them, they reaped what they sowed when they jumped into bed with the tories.
Bye bye ta ta
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Tue 28 May 21:44

Labour in Scotland are so useless nowadays I don't even know who their leaders have been in recent years. Ian Grey is about the only one I can actually think of and he lasted about 1-2 years if I recall?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 28 May 22:20

• Wendy Alexander
• Donald Dewar
• Kezia Dugdale
• Iain Gray
• Johann Lamont
• Jack McConnell
• Henry McLeish
• Jim Murphy
• Alex Rowley

In alphabetical order, these have been Labour’s guardians of the Scottish state since devolution almost 20 years ago. Their limitations are screamingly obvious, whether having their roots in political illiteracy, weak character or social inadequacy. It is like looking, in football terms, at the Championship. The Premiership players like Brown, Darling and Cook went down south believing that the Labour vote in Scotland could be guaranteed. More fool them leaving behind that catalogue of clowns and Yes Men. The SNP put their best players in Holyrood and have wiped the floor with Scottish Labour.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Tue 28 May 23:07

Blackford, Cherry, Wishart etc. surely wouldn’t swap the Mother of Parliaments for that third rate talking shop?
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Tue 28 May 23:11

And that attitude is why that party is hopefully dead an buried north of the border. Shock that belittling Scotland and basically treating the party and nation as a province of the UK and not its own separate entity ends badly...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 May 23:29

So the Westminster SNP contingent are the second raters. The big beasts are in Holyrood.
Well I never...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Tue 28 May 23:33

Exactly...the bitter angry Marios of this world are the epitome of what is wrong in Scotland. Our parliament, which the majority of people in Scotland, regardless of whether you support independence or not, is put down and ridiculed by dinosaurs who would rather see us ruled by the expensively educated idiots in Westminster, than by our own elected representatives. Idiots in WM that could not tell you where Dunfermline or even Aberdeen is on a map.

Scottish Labour are an utter disgrace.

SNP MP’s/MSP’s are far from perfect but they are head shoulders above the mob Mario campaigned for and the mob he has since disowned. Not knowing where to lay his hat now he has decided he is a floating voter.

SNP baaad all the way when in reality they are the only party that fights Scotland’s corner.

Slowly but surely people are coming round to realise that and Brexit on October 31st will be the catalyst to catapult Scotland to independence.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Wed 29 May 07:15

Quote:

desparado, Tue 28 May 23:33

Exactly...the bitter angry Marios of this world are the epitome of what is wrong in Scotland. Our parliament, which the majority of people in Scotland, regardless of whether you support independence or not, is put down and ridiculed by dinosaurs who would rather see us ruled by the expensively educated idiots in Westminster, than by our own elected representatives. Idiots in WM that could not tell you where Dunfermline or even Aberdeen is on a map.

SNP MP’s/MSP’s are far from perfect but they are head shoulders above the mob Mario campaigned for and the mob he has since disowned. Not knowing where to lay his hat now he has decided he is a floating voter.

SNP baaad all the way when in reality they are the only party that fights Scotland’s corner.

Slowly but surely people are coming round to realise that and Brexit on October 31st will be the catalyst to catapult Scotland to independence.

Until England secures assets to trade with we're not getting independence.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 May 07:38

Quote:

Rastapari, Wed 29 May 07:15

Quote:

desparado, Tue 28 May 23:33

Until England secures assets to trade with we're not getting independence.

Ah possibly. Let's wait until the Queen dies. Theory that she does not want it happening on her watch. Not a legacy she wants. Once she's gone then it will happen.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 May 07:38

I’m not bitter or angry Despy, I was on the winning side in 2014. I have what I want, I’m happy, never more so than when poking the nest of angry Snippers.

You losers on the other hand...I’m getting the picture of a haggis shaped bonce, chips on both shoulders, and a gob that’s swallowed a bottle of vinegar

No marching for us either, the last time I toddled down the High Street waving a flag was the School Gala circa 1959. Perhaps you were one of the ones that plodded down that same street behind jailbird Sheridan, dragging your wee Westie in his best Saltire doggie coat behind you? Never seen so many fed up pooches that day, felt like getting the RSSPCA to rescue them from their embarrassment.

Post Edited (Wed 29 May 07:40)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 May 07:49

Yes Moviescot.
As soon as the Queen’s passing is announced Sturgeon bounces onto our screens. She knows this is the catalyst to convince NO voters to switch.
It must be nice to live in such a simple world.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Captain Desmond Fancey  
Date:   Wed 29 May 08:53

"the bitter angry Marios of this world"

On the contrary, Mario always sounds like a rather happy chap. You, on the other hand, are one of the most bitter, antagonistic people I have come across.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 29 May 09:47

Mario seems at his happiest when throwing insults at people who disagree with him.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 May 09:51

That is so not true Titch.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 29 May 10:38

If I was a titch I might feel insulted.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 May 12:13

Quote:

Mario, Wed 29 May 07:49

Yes Moviescot.
As soon as the Queen’s passing is announced Sturgeon bounces onto our screens. She knows this is the catalyst to convince NO voters to switch.
It must be nice to live in such a simple world.

Ha ha ha. Hooked and quicker than I thought....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 May 12:45

Splash...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 May 12:47

Though I think I got the Sturgeon bit right, any change in circumstances and on she bounces.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net