DAFC.net
Home 20 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 'Boris'
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 2 Aug 09:16

I wish the media would stop referring to our PM as simply 'Boris' as if he were a cuddly toy or a lovable family pet. Even Jo Swinson, leader of the LibDems, did so on the radio this morning.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 'Boris'
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Fri 2 Aug 09:46

He will never be as cuddly as Boris the Spider.

Who? I hear them cry...(over 65’s excepted)

Post Edited (Fri 02 Aug 09:52)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 2 Aug 09:47

The Boris bounce didn't last long did it. And then the majority was one.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 2 Aug 10:08

The Greens and Welsh Nats stood aside to help the Libdems.
This is a const that voted leave, so well done the Brexit Party for biting their own hooter off and handing the result to their worst enemy!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 2 Aug 10:14

It's actually a great result for the Brexit Party in the long term. It makes it now less likely that Boris can push through Brexit.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Fri 2 Aug 10:15

'Bozo'

noun
'a stupid or insignificant man'.

'Bozo is a clown'

Post Edited (Fri 02 Aug 10:48)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 2 Aug 10:35

Churchill was regularly referred to as "Winnie".
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 2 Aug 10:56

You're not comparing Bozo to 'a bear of little brain' are you? Give me the stuffed bear any day!
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Fri 2 Aug 11:08

What happened to his "garden bridge"?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 2 Aug 11:14

"many of Bozo’s greatest schemes never materialised, his unbuilt £53 Million Pound Garden Bridge for example. The builder trousered £23 Million for not building it, describing it as ‘The easiest money I’ve ever earned.‘"

Was that real? I've only read about it on the 'Chatty Chimp' site where I couldn't tell if it was just a made-up joke.

'The easiest money I've never earned' would be more like it.

https://chattychimp.co/2019/05/25/rip-boris-bozo-johnson-the-best-pm-we-never-had/

Post Edited (Fri 02 Aug 11:17)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Fri 2 Aug 11:16

Quote:

Mario, Fri 2 Aug 09:46

He will never be as cuddly as Boris the Spider.

Who? I hear them cry...(over 65’s excepted)

I remember Boris the Bold.
Can't find the English version online but here's a clip of an episode in it's original Czech.
https://youtu.be/kiMTVnaZN7Q
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 2 Aug 11:32

I see you are a student of Machiavelli TOWK.

And is there no other veteran of the Swinging Sixties WHO remembers hairy Boris? He was also a bit of a Machiavelli with his web weaving. Groan
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 2 Aug 11:37

Big fan Mario. It's actually my favourite pasta dish ;-)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Fri 2 Aug 11:40

As Paul Simon once said, you can call him Al.

His name is Alexander. Everyone called him that, or Al, apparently.
Then, just after adolescence when he discovered that he had no personality, he decided to create one and "Boris" was born. I imagine it was out of frustration at 'only' being middle class and not upper class like many of his peers. "Boris" is a silly mask covering a vague Thatcherite lump of nothingness.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 2 Aug 11:40

Boris Johnson was known as ‘Alex’ to friends and family before he developed his public persona. He probably realised that Johnson is a very unremarkable name so it made sense to adopt a short, memorable name that made him seem familiar. There is a tradition of this in UK politics: Margaret Thatcher was never called ‘Maggie’ except by the media, much as ‘Ted’ Heath was mostly called Edward outside of his political circle.

What has attracted little attention is that Boris Johnson is only the second PM to have been born outside the UK, the first being Bonar Law from Canada. Johnson acquired dual American and British citizenship from birth but fortunately for him the eligibility for being PM is less strict than for being President of the USA, an issue that his friend Donald Trump used in an attempt to smear Barak Obama.

Johnson plays the part of the lovable English eccentric but this may be a reaction to what he has described himself as a ‘melting pot’ heritage. Boxer Chris Eubank and footballer Ian Wright have displayed similar traits, adopting the dress and mannerisms of an English country squire. Johnson is not an easy man to pin down in terms of identity. As a classical scholar you would expect him to be cool on the crudities of American popular culture, just as you might imagine that his schooling and later newspaper work in Brussels would make him sympathetic to the European project. Most likely he is a man of no deep commitment to anything other than himself, unsuited to politics, and would have just as happily become editor of a national newspaper.

It’s an interesting parlour game to place PMs outside their political sphere. For me it’s Harold Wilson- Town Clerk; Ted Heath- bank manager; Jim Callaghan- factor; Margaret Thatcher- headmistress; John Major- insurance broker; Tony Blair- rock group manager; David Cameron- estate agent; Theresa May- legal secretary. Next up, maybe Jeremy Corbyn- supply teacher or Nigel Farage -car salesman.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Fri 2 Aug 11:54

I would go for Jeremy Corbyn - Organic supermarket manager.
He wouldn't last 10 minutes as a supply teacher.

Salesman sounds good for Farage but I would imagine it would be something less useful than a car. Something expensive that will make him rich but serve no purpose. Payment protection insurance?
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net