DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 I hope these people tread carefully
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 12 Jun 09:20

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-48591001

Much like in 1989 bravery and righteousness will count for nothing if the Chinese Communist Party sends in its shock troops with bayonets drawn. The protestors may be united but they do have more to lose than their chains.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed

Post Edited (Wed 12 Jun 09:21)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: I hope these people tread carefully
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Thu 13 Jun 15:53

Always sad to read about Hong Kong and its always annoyed me how much China have bullied them and the Taiwanese. Amazes me how the Chinese are indoctrinated into thinking that Taiwan is "an inseperable part of China" while most of the Taiwanese acknowledge their Han Chinese origin but have no desire for political amalgamation. Much like the crimes against humanity going on in Saudi Arabia, this one will likely be ignored for monetary reasons...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Jul 11:44

Starting to escalate again as the protestors storm the legislative chambers. I suspect the regime will allow it to fizzle out and then slowly but surely take a firmer, harsher stance.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Aug 09:17

Tiananmen 2.0 could well be on its way.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Wed 14 Aug 17:46

Something else will happen soon to distract the international media (Trump will be accused of cheating at golf again or something) and that's when the clampdown will begin.

But probably not on the streets, in the open, they;ll just be spirited away one night when they are in their beds with their families and we'll never know. Western style.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"

Post Edited (Wed 14 Aug 17:46)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Aug 18:35

They will go the same way as that young man who stood in front of the tank. I believe he has never been seen again. Of course most people in China know nothing of that image.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: calpar  
Date:   Wed 14 Aug 23:57

Seriously, WHINSEG đŸ˜‚

My goodness, you do realise wiki can be manipulated to say anything, pls tell me you do, and then never refer to there as any evidence

On the other hand, this is 1 of many training 'courses', they run them at Tulliallan too, or can send the 'trainers' to Saudi if suits better
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 20:27

So good they changed its name.

I prefer to call it The School of the Americas - folk know what to think when they hear that name: not the most highly regarded list of alumni: even if you just compare them with other despots.

However, I was referring specifically to "disappearance" which is a very SotA graduate move.

Get me referencing Wikipedia again, have fun.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 12:23

It's taken almost a year but the protests finally seem to be quelled. Hong Kong is now all but totally under the totalitarian control of Beijing.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 13:14

It's OK, Boris will send a couple of gun ships and loads of redundant liners to evacuate the 3 million.

He'll get his Thatcher Argentina moment!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 16:21

The biggest complaint from the HK protestors seems to be over the power of the Chinese government to extradite those it considers are anti-state. This is a very good reason to protest: it would be like SNP activists being liable for extradition to the Old Bailey and tried under English law.

However many UK politicians who claim to be outraged at such a policy have spent the last few years either screaming for Julian Assange to be extradited to the USA or staying dumb. They are in no great position to take the moral high ground with the PRC.

The Chinese people I met when over there were aware of the famous photo of a protester in front of tanks. However they did not attach the same importance to the photo as the western media did. The best analogy I can draw is with pickets confronting police at Orgreave in 1984: there was a great deal of sympathy for the miners but not enough active support for their cause which was seen as doomed.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 17:53

The 89' Tianamen protests were certainly doomed to fail. The students and young people were already faltering and their groups riddled with internal divisions regarding the best way to continue the struggle before the ccp leadership imposed martial law. Other army units were brought in from outwith the city presumably because the local troops couldn't be trusted to end the movement 'by any means necessary'.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pacifist  
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 12:25

The Chinese aren't likely to take any nonsense from the UK over Hong Kong. The loss of Hong Kong represented a hugely humiliating time for them and to be fair on that occasion they were morally right. The UK sent the navy up and down the coast to ensure the continuing sale of opium to the Chinese people, not just one war but two.
So, Hong Kong was only taken from China by a morally repugnant war victory demand from the UK. If that hadn't happened Hong Kong would have stayed Chinese.
If the people of Hong Kong benefited from this schism, and most did to be fair, it was due to other Chinese having their lives ruined.
China has a long memory and won't be in the mood for further interference.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 17:18

So the people of Hong Kong have enjoyed the sort of freedoms you enjoy for too long? Ultimately there is nothing that can be done to help them, Hong Kong is Chinese and any treaties that may have been signed are worthless in the face of realpolitik.
Besides any international pressure will be token gestures at a diplomatic level. Certainly won't be any Premier league players taking a knee before kick off, not when there is image rights and sponsorship deals to be cashed in on.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 17:39

China has warned the UK not to interfere with Hong Kong following the imposition of a new national security law, as one pro-democracy campaigner begged for international support.

Ambassador Liu Xiaoming said the UK's offer of a path to citizenship for up to three million Hong Kongers amounted to "gross interference".
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 18:19

The freedom enjoyed by Hong Kong citizens is dependent on your status. A tranche of guest workers with little in the way of rights -or I would assume money- underpins this glorious advert for freedom and democracy. Hardly surprising then that HK and Singapore(which runs a benevolent autocracy) are the type of countries that Johnson, Gove and Cummings look to in awe and admiration.

Remember all that Brexit guff about ‘controlling our borders?’ A tiny island nation being swamped by foreigners? None of this seems to apply to 3 million residents of Hong Kong. Will they be put in asylum centres before being vetted? No more chance of that than when South Africans bolted from their apartheid democracy.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net