DAFC.net
Home 26 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Missing Person Appeal.
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Wed 28 Aug 21:04

Ruth Davidson, 40 years old.

Height..... 5 feet Nothing.
Build ........Round
MSP for Edinburgh Central.....allegedly

Not been seen since No Deal Brexit became a reality...........

May be feeling vulnerable.

Unfortunately disappearances of this nature are a regular occurrence for Ruth so we hope she will be found ( out ) soon and returned to her rightful owners at SW1A 2AA.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Missing Person Appeal.
Topic Originator: QPR_Par  
Date:   Wed 28 Aug 22:43

She may well be feeling vulnerable, she's had mental health issues in the past. She's just had a baby and it's reported she's struggling to cope with being a new mother and her job.

Mental health is not a subject to joke about. Stick to dishing it out for her political beliefs.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Wed 28 Aug 22:59

She chose her career and she chose to be a Tory. She is entitled to the same respect as Jeremy Corbyn, which has never been in great measure so far as I am aware.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Wed 28 Aug 23:27

Elsie was nowhere to be seen when the GERS figures came out. Apart from poncing around the Ed Festival...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 00:10

Just out of interest why mention her build?

Do all politicians have to conform to a certain body shape now?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 07:45

Quote:

Mario, Wed 28 Aug 23:27

Elsie was nowhere to be seen when the GERS figures came out. Apart from poncing around the Ed Festival...

Who's Elsie and why do you have to use these peculiar insulting names. It's like being in primary 3 again.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 09:07

Sorry, Sturgeon got this monicker because if anything goes wrong it’s always the fault of someone/anyone/everyone elsie...Wasnae me that gave her it, blame someone elsie.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Captain Desmond Fancey  
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 10:18

Another truly pathetic OP. Imagine my shock.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 11:40

I don't think Ruth has been herself since she returned from her Maternity Leave and I think that's perfectly understandable.

In her speech she has said herself that her baby was her first priority. It was only a matter of time before she resigned, indeed she's even sort of hinted that she may not even stand as an MSP at the next Scottish elections.

She isn't my favourite politician by a long shot. However, she has served her party very well and has held Sturgeon to account far more effectively than any of her predecessors or any Scottish Labour leader has.

I, for one, wish her well.

The good old days
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 12:24

Lesley Riddoch has withdrawn a disgusting tweet that she was getting pelters for.
Hope the Hootsman gives her and her weekly Sep sycophancy rant the boot.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 12:41

Quote:

Mario, Thu 29 Aug 09:07

Sorry, Sturgeon got this monicker because if anything goes wrong it’s always the fault of someone/anyone/everyone elsie...Wasnae me that gave her it, blame someone elsie.

So who have her this childish moniker? Please grow up.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 12:42

Quote:

Captain Desmond Fancey, Thu 29 Aug 11:40

I don't think Ruth has been herself since she returned from her Maternity Leave and I think that's perfectly understandable.

In her speech she has said herself that her baby was her first priority. It was only a matter of time before she resigned, indeed she's even sort of hinted that she may not even stand as an MSP at the next Scottish elections.

She isn't my favourite politician by a long shot. However, she has served her party very well and has held Sturgeon to account far more effectively than any of her predecessors or any Scottish Labour leader has.

I, for one, wish her well.

Why is it understandable that she hasn't been the same since return from maternity leave?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 12:44

Quote:

da_no_1, Thu 29 Aug 00:10

Just out of interest why mention her build?

Do all politicians have to conform to a certain body shape now?

Agreed!

Fact is she was on opposite sides of the brexit debate to her new boss, she made claims in the indy ref that will come back to bite (eg only way to stay in EU is to vote no), she publicly made it clear she didn't support Boris in the tory leadership race and its looking increasingly likely that the tories won't poll as well in the next GE (which people seem to think will happen sooner rather than later)
Therefore before you even consider family priorities (which most working people have to contend with), its clear she's not in a great position anymore as a centralist/Liberal Conservative in a party that's lurching to the right

Post Edited (Thu 29 Aug 12:45)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 12:45

"Why is it understandable that she hasn't been the same since return from maternity leave?"

You're being serious ?

Ask many a working Mum and they will tell you that returning to work after maternity leave is not easy. Your focus will inevitably be more on your child than your job. That's perfectly natural.

Can't actually believe I had to explain that.

The good old days
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 12:46

"and its looking increasingly likely that the tories won't poll as well in the next GE (which people seem to think will happen sooner rather than later)"

Why would you make that assumption ?

They're already polling ahead of Labour at the minute. Plus, in the event of a clean Brexit, they are likely to suck up the vast majority of the Brexit Party voters (currently around 16-20%) so, if anything, Brexit is more likely to strengthen them.

Failing to deliver on Brexit, on the other hand, is far more likely to destroy them in an election.

The good old days
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 13:03

Well I, for one, hope she enjoys the next stage of her family life. Credit to her for prioritising the right things and contributing to society when she had the time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 13:12

Disgusting OP. Tells you more about this person.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 13:41

Disgusting.........lol

A tounge in cheek post you walloping wall flower...

Vulnerable was aimed at her political state rather than her mental state........

She is round....so what.

She is still a nasty piece or work , who happily cracked jokes at her fellow country men and womens expense for a round of applause at the Tory Party conference. Good riddance to her. Will she resign her seat though ? The one in Edinburgh where she has only held a handful of surgeries for her constituents in the past few years . She will be booted out at the next Holyrood election anyway......if we have one.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 14:05

'' Vulnerable was aimed at her political state rather than her mental state........':

That's how I read it too

Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 14:19

Quote:

Captain Desmond Fancey, Thu 29 Aug 12:46

"and its looking increasingly likely that the tories won't poll as well in the next GE (which people seem to think will happen sooner rather than later)"

Why would you make that assumption ?

They're already polling ahead of Labour at the minute. Plus, in the event of a clean Brexit, they are likely to suck up the vast majority of the Brexit Party voters (currently around 16-20%) so, if anything, Brexit is more likely to strengthen them.

Failing to deliver on Brexit, on the other hand, is far more likely to destroy them in an election.

As we were talking about Ruth Davidson, I was talking specifically about the fortunes of the tory party in Scotland in the event of a GE. BJ isn't that popular up here, no deal brexit isn't popular up here, his latest antics aren't popular up here and the brexit party vote share (which even in the EU election was nowhere near 20%) mostly came from that carcus that was UKIP.

I actually think Ruth attracted the no vote last time which is a space that may be filled by the lib dems this time round as the result of the last two referendums up here was the status quo in both, and that seems to be what the lib dems want...ie no to indy and remain

Post Edited (Thu 29 Aug 14:20)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 15:02

Quote:

Captain Desmond Fancey, Thu 29 Aug 12:45

"Why is it understandable that she hasn't been the same since return from maternity leave?"

You're being serious ?

Ask many a working Mum and they will tell you that returning to work after maternity leave is not easy. Your focus will inevitably be more on your child than your job. That's perfectly natural.

Can't actually believe I had to explain that.

So is that the same as men who come back from paternity leave. Very sexist view in this day and age.

And your explanation is exactly what I expected from you.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 15:40

What other possible explanation is there ??

And, yes, it would be just as understandable for a man to have less focus on his career after becoming a Dad. I know my priorities changed when I did.

Really don't know what you're trying to prove/do but you'd be better stopping. Really.

DBP, fair point well made. I expect the Tories will lose seats up here too. However, their vote in England and Wales is likely to rise, and much like in the 80s will be enough to give them a strong Westminster majority.

Think the biggest winners of all are going to be the bookies though as nobody has a clue what's going to happen.

If nothing else, politics has never been more interesting !
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 15:54

Well you certainly don't know what's happening one day to the next!

No idea what it's all going to look like when the dust settles
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 21:56

Quality backtracking......

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Fri 30 Aug 05:45

Loving the "outrage" about commenting on Ruth Davidson's weight. Tbh, I'd say that any political leader should be watching their weight to set an example to those they are supposed to lead. Granted she has been pregnant but she was never the slightest of people in the first place and it is a rather sad reflection of the state of lifestyle in Scotland - people are not eating healthily enough and have a diet too high in carbs and sugar. People generally are not getting enough exercise either. Personally I don't think the food is of the same quality as on the continent and maybe just my own experience but I always find I've got an a*se like Reactor No.4 after eating food in Scotland when I come over from Sweden - normally I'd put this down to a simple change in food but I don't get it when going to Japan. Major implications for NHS Scotland further down the line I think if this continues among the populace as a whole.

Back to the main issue though: I don't buy for one second that Ruth Davidson going is for family or health reasons. The rug as been firmly swept out from beneath her feet with the removal of Mundell and the impending suspension of Parliament. She can't push for independence of the Scottish Tories because a chunk of the Tory MPs are Brexiteers and there are also a chunk of Brexiteers among her MSPs who would never back it. Then there's the hypocritical element of such a move.

Lib Dems and Labour now in a largely untenable position because they could back essentially guaranteed Liberal and Social Democratic politics in an Independent Scotland, but instead choose to throw their weight behind the Union and being tied to an England that is gradually becoming more Nationalist.

Holyrood is pretty much an unstoppable juggernaut these days in terms of gathering powers and politically it is largely regarded as unacceptable among the public to remove powers from it. Eventually we will reach the point where the question of "Why do we pay for Westminster when Holyrood controls near enough everything" is prominent. The unmistakable direction of travel is Independence and it has always been a case of when and how rather than if. I don't see the SNP being out of power until this is achieved as there is a dedicated "cause" vote for them. Personally, I'd rather that the constitution is settled so that we can get on with building a Danish-style system in Scotland.

Interesting result tonight from Shetland and the 14% swing to the SNP would make almost all FPTP seats winnable in both Parliaments. If they are to be successful, the SNP need to come up with credible plans to aid the rural economy and be vocal in opposition to EU Common Fisheries policy, albeit this latter point may have to be done tactically. Do this and a vote is their's to lose.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Aug 06:41

think you're mistaking "outrage" with people pointing out that its unnecessary

her eating habits, fitness routine or dress size have nothing to do with the reasoning behind her announcement to quit and bringing it up actually dilutes what is an interesting discussion.

anyway, i agree with everything you've said about RD and scottish tories (but think you've missed out the bit that her new boss and her have always been at loggerheads) but at this stage, i don't agree with your view on the lib dems.
i accept the landscape has totally changed in the last 5 years so views will probably have moved on... but the result of the referrendums up here were no to indy and yes to EU, i.e. no change please - status quo. the only ones who stand for that no-change option is the lib dems, so i think swinton will hoover up all the no votes that RD had managed to secure.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Aug 07:40

I think from Ruth's speech yesterday she was directing more venom towards David Cameron (and rightly so, as this is his mess) than Boris Johnston. Found that rather interesting.

HJ, genuine question (and I could be wrong) but I pick up from you that you almost believe English Nationalism to be a bad thing, yet Scottish Nationalism is a good and almost romantic notion. Why is that ? (And I'm not trying to poke the bear or anything, just curious)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 30 Aug 07:54

Scottish nationalism is a rare breed at least compared to its European counterparts in that it is largely pro immigration and mostly centre left in its social policy. Of course for some in the independence movement it's a means to an end because I don't think an independent Scotland would be a left wing as some think it would be.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Aug 10:18

Very interesting to see the SNP spin machine out in force this morning claiming some kind of victory.

They genuinely thought they were going to win that seat. I know a couple of people on the islands and they advised that the SNP machine threw literally everything into winning the seat and yet just shy of 70% of people who voted, voted to reject them and Independence.

All this despite Boris and despite Brexit.

I guess any kind of slant can be put on a result really.

The only worrying thing for me, as a "yoon", is how chronically split the Unionist vote is up here. There was really need at all for either Conservatives, Labour or - especially UKIP to bother with a candidate there. Should have done what happened in the recent Wales by-election and had the one Unionist candidate. Would have sent a much more damning message to Mrs Sturgeon.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 30 Aug 10:28

So, despite accusing the SNP of continually harping on about independence, you think all elections in Scotland should be fought on that single issue by only having one Unionist candidate in any election?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Aug 10:52

Given that was what the SNP made this particular by-election campaign all about, then yes.

It was acceptable for the same to happen in Wales recently, so I fail to see why not here either.

Also if you care to show me where I said it should happen in "all elections", I'd be most grateful.

The good old days
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Aug 11:38

I was asking a question. Thanks for answering it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 30 Aug 12:16

I find it petty that we end up with pathetic mocking of how people look. Judge politicians on what they do rather than how they look.

IMO Ruth Davidson is an excellent politicians, albeit for a party I don't agree with. She is far more liberal than the London contingent. Whilst they're saying she's stepping down to care for her child, I suspect the real reason is Johnson and his poor decision making.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Fri 30 Aug 13:36

CDF - Tbh, if the English want to move down the Nationalism route they are perfectly entitled to do that - I just don't want Scotland to be subject to it. That is also quite clearly the view of the majority in Scotland.

From my time living and working in England I found that generally they view themselves as superior to others and have an incredibly passive and insular mindset - if it doesn't affect them personally, then they don't care - and they have very little knowledge or interest in the outside world.

Having lived in Southern Sweden for four years now, I would say that generally Scots are much more akin to other continental Europeans, particularly Danes, in their outlook rather than being culturally similar to the English as we are often told - this might go a considerable way to addressing the political impasse that is now visible.

80%+ of Scotland votes for Social/Liberal Democratic Politics, so trying to put Scottish Nationalism and English Nationalism in the same bracket, as Oompar used to do, is absolute folly in today's context. English Nationalism is characteristically more Conservative, while Scottish Nationalism is more Liberal and Social Democratic.

I support a Scottish Republic based on the Nordic Model, ideally with a Norway or Icelandic-style relationship with the EU as a baseline. Having seen how the Swedes and, more poignantly, the Danes manage things - as well as the progress made in the last 30ish years in places like Estonia - I think that the current state that Scotland finds itself in should be regarded as nothing short of an embarrassment and damning of the UK Government's management. My parents, being Brexiteers themselves, will actually admit that only in the last 20 years have we started to see a significant improvement in living standards in Scotland which says it all for me.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Aug 14:28

"She is far more liberal than the London contingent."

Not at all just as evil as the rest.........and would happily drag Scotland down to gutter level as long as we are shackled to WM
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Aug 14:30

"I think that the current state that Scotland finds itself in should be regarded as nothing short of an embarrassment and damning of the UK Government's management."

Actually when taking the 13 economic "regions" of the UK into account, Scotland doesn't come off too badly. Used to find it coming out in the middle of any league tables I used to produce at work. Granted, there are probably some additional stats that could be used to move either up or down the table but Scotland certainly better off overall compared to Wales, Yorks & Humber, and both North & East England.

I'm just yet to be convinced that going it alone will do much, if anything, to improve much of those stats.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Aug 14:53

London, SE and E England are the only parts of the UK which are traditionally 'in surplus' according to GERS. Scotland was in surplus when the oil price was high. It seems pretty clear that the UK model is centred on a successful London, possibly at the expense of the 'regions', but that doesn't mean an independent Scotland would be in deficit.

I've always found it a strange argument that Scotland should not be independent because the GERS figures show it is in deficit as part of the Union!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net