DAFC.net
Home 26 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Reassurance request
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 01:44

I think I've been getting sidetracked.

I've been trying to decide whether or not BJ is driving for 'no deal.'

But the main thing is, I'm strongly against 'no deal' because of projected damaging effects such as shortage of medicines, predicted reduced household incomes etc.

Can anyone reassure me about those, with sources please?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Reassurance request
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 19:13

onandupthepars from the web

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/831199/20190802_Latest_Yellowhammer_Planning_assumptions_CDL.pdf
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 23:48

Thanks Busspass,

This is more interesting than the report of the same that I happened across today in DW news.*

The govt says things have moved on since this document was prepared but I think it's still relevant.

What I take from it is:

Big delays expected to goods coming from EU.

Point No. 6 refers to medicines. Hopefully we've stockpiled essentials.

7. Not expecting overall food shortages but price increases.

7 ii. Low risk of water supplies being affected.

13. Expecting demonstrations.

17. Low income groups to be disproportionately affected by any price rises in food and fuel.

Energy supplies not expected to be affected.

Of course these are just some of the immediate day-to-day things but there's a whole lot of other stuff.

Concerning the stuff that'll affect me and my wife, I'd say my worry level has gone down a wee bit from level 8 out of 10, down to 7. It's my wife's medicines I'm most worried about. But, as I just posted on another thread - no use worrying if you can't do nothing about it.

You've cheered me up a wee bit, thanks for making the effort.

*https://www.dw.com/en/no-deal-brexit-equals-food-fuel-and-drug-shortages-says-leaked-report/a-50069885
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 08:04

Quote:

onandupthepars, Tue 1 Oct 23:48

Thanks Busspass,

This is more interesting than the report of the same that I happened across today in DW news.*

The govt says things have moved on since this document was prepared but I think it's still relevant.

What I take from it is:

Big delays expected to goods coming from EU.

Point No. 6 refers to medicines. Hopefully we've stockpiled essentials.

7. Not expecting overall food shortages but price increases.

7 ii. Low risk of water supplies being affected.

13. Expecting demonstrations.

17. Low income groups to be disproportionately affected by any price rises in food and fuel.

Energy supplies not expected to be affected.

Of course these are just some of the immediate day-to-day things but there's a whole lot of other stuff.

Concerning the stuff that'll affect me and my wife, I'd say my worry level has gone down a wee bit from level 8 out of 10, down to 7. It's my wife's medicines I'm most worried about. But, as I just posted on another thread - no use worrying if you can't do nothing about it.

You've cheered me up a wee bit, thanks for making the effort.

*https://www.dw.com/en/no-deal-brexit-equals-food-fuel-and-drug-shortages-says-leaked-report/a-50069885

My wife works in a pharmacy. The following medicines are becoming increasingly difficult to source:-

HRT
Some blood pressure medicines
Naproxen
Epee pens
Insulin
Various anti biotics.

This is not some small independent either. It's Boots. The problem has been getting worse since March this year. Part of the problem is the stock piling. However, a lot of the issue is that they are just not available.

Post Edited (Wed 02 Oct 08:05)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 13:46

OO - that's worse than I thought, Movie. That's gonna concern a lotta folk. Thanks for giving more detail there.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 13:58

It’s been publicised recently that shortages of certain medical supplies have been exacerbated by supply chain issues from manufacturers in far off places such as China and India. Some key suppliers in the U.K. have also been hit by regulatory issues.
This is a worldwide problem but obviously stock piling in the U.K. doesn’t help.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 14:44

Jennifer Baker

on Radio Scotland 5pm today.

A refreshing, independent view.

I heard her on radio at lunchtime. A freelance journalist who gave straight answers about what it means right now. Bojo's offer, EU's view, Ireland and N.I. In simple terms.

No need to listen to the Brexit alley cats brawling.

Listen instead to this lovely soothing Irish voice talking sense.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 23:51

Had a nice walk out in the windy, stubbly fields today:

'O the Autumn leaves' aroma

Keeps me out of a Brexit coma'

Jennifer Baker came on Radio Scotland at about quarter past five. She's the most interesting commentator on Brexit that I've come across. She feels:

1. B.J.'s offer as it stands will be rejected by the EU.

2. Dublin would be unlikely to agree to customs checks.

I get the feeling she thinks there is a chance of a deal, but much to be done to achieve one.

Something possibly in our favour is that she says EU countries have changed their minds about holding onto the UK, they now want us to leave.

Although I can't find it reported anywhere else, I think she said to the effect that BJ put it to Juncker that Ireland or N.I. is only a very small part of UK? trade so let's focus on the bigger part and get this done. If he did write such a thing, maybe it suggests he wants a deal?

( I know there's another interpretation of it but I'm going to leave it on a positive.)

Post Edited (Wed 02 Oct 23:55)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net