DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Farage not contesting a seat
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 22:20

Says he wants to focus on helping the party.
Ahem!
He wants to get Brexit done, preferrably with no deal, then feck off into the sunset with pockets full of cash from his hedge fund handlers.
He has no intentions representing a constituency and working for 4 years when he can sit on his erchie for the rest of his life.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Farage not contesting a seat
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 22:29

I think it's an acknowledgment that his Brexit Party won't win a seat. There will be no group to lead in the House of Commons.

It also makes it easier for Farage to offer some sort of non-aggression pact with Johnson if the polls start to indicate the Tories failing to win a majority.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 4 Nov 03:13

Farage is a slimy little creature who for decades has conned a hefty proportion of Brits into believing his lies while mightily enriching himself from the public purse.

The man is a loud-mouthed coward straight out of a Dickens novel.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Mon 4 Nov 10:54

Coward
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 7 Nov 13:07

He clearly doesn't fancy losing yet another election contest.

I see that Tom Watson has indicated that he won't be standing in this GE.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Fri 8 Nov 17:23

He was looking good today in his yellow cords and what appeared to be a gammon in each hand.

A true man of the people.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 8 Nov 19:25

Nothing wrong with how he's dressed. This get up is considered ultra trendy in Edinburgh's New Town. You lot are just jealous that you don't have an array of coloured cords.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 8 Nov 22:20

Hehehe jake89 the New Town rent boy uniform
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Mon 11 Nov 12:28

Nigel Farage says Brexit Party won't contest seats won by Tories in 2017 - but will stand in all Labour seats
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Nov 12:42

The man who said tactical voting wasn't acceptable is now encouraging tactical voting..
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Nov 13:47

The man is a walking, talking (Oxy) moron
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Nov 14:44

Farage was never going to win any seats and the Brexit Party is not really a political party anyway, as today’s edict has clearly shown. No problem of Farage being voted down by the membership since they have no vote- this from the man who wants to bring democratic control back to the UK!

His Brexit Party will provide some nuisance value around England and Wales but it is hard to believe they will influence many, if any, seats. The impact on the Tory Remain voters is hard to judge, but sweetheart deals with Farage and his ‘fruitcakes’ (as David Cameron called them) might be a bridge too far for some.

BTW, what happened to all these heroic Spartans who refused to accept BRINO from Theresa May? I don’t see too many bodies in the ditch; just a dejected army suing for peace.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Nov 14:44

He is desperate for a Tory/Brexit coalition and I would not rule out Dominic telling Boris to do it
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Nov 14:52

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Nov 15:42

I don't get how a political party can exist in a democracy when it doesn't have some form of public membership.

Shouldn't we encouraging some degree of transparency in our politics?

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 11 Nov 16:34

'His Brexit Party will provide some nuisance value around England and Wales but it is hard to believe they will influence many, if any, seats. The impact on the Tory Remain voters is hard to judge, but sweetheart deals with Farage and his ‘fruitcakes’ (as David Cameron called them) might be a bridge too far for some.'

I'm not so sure I agree with you this time mate. Some polling had the potential vote split between Cons/Brexit potentially costing the Cons as many as 90 seats (likely a high estimate in the Tory press) whereas now they mainly have to worry about heameroging any Remain voters.

Labour on the other hand will lose some votes to the Brexit party which could cost them seats although the polling suggested they lose votes at a rate of 1:4 vs potetntial Conservative defectors so not likely to lose as many seats as the Cons might have.

They could potentially still have a significant impact without winning any seats themselves.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Nov 19:44

One of the effects of Nigel Farage's announcement that the Brexit Party will not be contesting 317 seats currently held by the Conservatives is that many of his candidates are being stood down.

That has brought an angry reaction from some who have already spent a fair bit of time and money on their local campaign.

Speaking to LBC's Eddie Mair, Mr Farage says he has no plans to compensate those candidates.

"I'm sorry for people who have put their time and money on the line," he says, but adds that he "warned them all face-to-face that if circumstances changed" then the situation would be different.

"I'm not going to refund their money. They put their faith in me to do the right thing and the vast majority of them, this afternoon, agree with what I've done."

In the interview, Mr Farage also reveals that 3,000 people applied to be Brexit Party candidates at the election.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Nov 20:16

This just now from the Times

Now pull Brexit Party out of Labour marginals, Tories urge Nigel Farage

Conservative ministers are urging Nigel Farage to put Brexit first and pull out of scores more seats after he announced that his party would not stand in half of constituencies at the general election.

Mr Farage’s climbdown came after weeks of pressure over Eurosceptic fears that his party would split the Leave vote, potentially putting Britain’s departure from the European Union at risk.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Nov 20:30

Farage and Tommy Robinson are media creations without any significant public support. Remember the riots we were warned would break out on 31st October when we failed to leave? They failed to materialise. Likewise the Daily Express, which is pretty much a Farage propaganda sheet, has spent the last week telling us how Farage had a surge of votes from northern Labour constituencies which was in line to make him deputy PM if a coalition government was to be formed. Now it turns out he himself is not even a candidate and is effectively standing his party down. He can do this since there is no internal democracy worth the name in his fabricated Brexit ‘Party.’ In fact the word ‘Party’ should really be put inside inverted commas when referring to this pressure group since they are not a political party as understood by the general populace.

The Labour Party has been very sensitive to the Brexit mood in its northern England heartlands, hence Corbyn’s reluctance to nail his colours to the mast. Johnson has gone for broke, with a Brexit or bust policy, which will costs him votes and perhaps seats in areas where there are significant numbers of progressive Tories who voted for Remain. This will not be reported by MSM until the ‘surprising’ exit polls on the day of the election confound the experts.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Mon 11 Nov 20:44

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Nov 20:54

A Brexit Party spokesperson has confirmed that the European Research Group - made up of Conservative Brexiteers - have been in talks with their party over recent days, according to BBC Newsnight.
Surely it cannot be right that a nobody a nonentity a man without a credence of respectability without a mandate and without a decent pair of trousers can have an influence on the General Election result

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were

Post Edited (Mon 11 Nov 21:15)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Nov 23:08

Farage must have dirt on some of these jokers. The man is an utter genius yet still continues to get air time.

I'm not one to condone violence but the world would be a better place with people like him and that other odious woman who works for LBC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Mon 11 Nov 23:10

Quote:

BigJPar, Mon 11 Nov 20:44

It'll be Lord Farage the facist next, appointed by Bawjaws in the near future. This country really does stench of keech.

It's England, not our country
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 20:21

Nigel Farage has criticised the Conservatives for not reciprocating his offer of standing down candidates.

The Brexit Party leader says he will stand aside in Tory-held constituencies from the 2017 election, but still run in seats won by Labour.

He had hoped the Tories would stand down in some of those places.
Mr Farage told the BBC: "I would have expected, having put country before party, to perhaps have got something back from the Conservatives.

"But no, nothing is good enough for them.
"It is clear to me it is not a Leave majority they want in Parliament, it is just a Tory one."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 20:45

He'd be a Lord of the UK, tenruh. Much as I wish we could pretend Westminster and it's archaic practices were nothing to do with Scotland, they are. We're part of this shambolic UK.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 09:24

Nigel Farage has been warned he has 48 hours to "save Brexit" by long-time ally and financial backer Arron Banks, who called on him to stand down more candidates
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 10:26

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 11:19

Absolutely spot on, BigJPar.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 11:22

Aye. I'd be interested to know if Farage is still living in his £4.4 million Chelsea apartment with his paid for personal protection, car and office space.

I know money men frequently have influence over politicians but that set up must be close to unique.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 18:58

Is that the apartment he shares with a French politician?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 15:39

Yeah that's the one. Ironically that appeared to come about because the flat that was being paid for by the Eurosceptic party she was working for had to be relinquished after the EU cut their funding during a fraud enquiry for suspending EU funds.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 17:53

Weren't they found to be illegally funneling EU funds to UKIP or was that a different incident? I lose track of all the scandals and financial misdeeds that follow Farage around tbh.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 18:14

Same here wotsit and even more confused that the eurosceptic person was a She
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 18:24

There's definitely scope for a sitcom - a farcical one obviously.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 19:17

Now he's said that his candidates have been harassed by Tories asking them to stand down.

In whose fevered imagination does any of this even resemble democracy?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 19:26

Quote :-

Topic Originator: Wotsit
Date: Thu 14 Nov 19:17

Now he's said that his candidates have been harassed by Tories asking them to stand down.

In whose fevered imagination does any of this even resemble democracy?

None whatsoever Wotsit ..... but cannot understand why this man gets so much media attention and can and maybe will influence the GE result The worrying thing for me is by reading the interviews from ordinary folk in the street and talking to them on my daily care help they do not know who to vote for .... I have said it on here before......it is divide and conquer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 20:08

Not needing home care yet, but never knew that was part of the service..
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 20:51

Mario maybe you misread the post a wee bit it is daily care not home care I put my old neighbours bins out cut their grass take them to the supermarket, doctor etc. Aye and some of them Tory's ...But my point is never in my life have I heard so many staunch Tory/Labour supporters say they do not know who to vote for
Divide and Conquer
Home care could be arranged for you .... get the kettle on :-)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 08:17

I love the line to stop free and open politics

Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage is claiming the Conservatives offered his candidates jobs and peerages to try to get them to stand down.

Mr Farage says his candidates received "thousands of phone calls and emails" trying to get them to withdraw ahead of next month's election.

In a tweet Mr Farage alleged: "Even Boris Johnson’s Chief Strategic Adviser Sir Edward Lister is calling our candidates and offering them jobs if they withdraw. The system is corrupt and broken."

Speaking to The Telegraph, he added: "There are lots of peerages being offered. This is full-on Venezuelan style corruption. Today [Thursday] has been in industrial scale attempt to stop free and open politics happening in our country.

"Number 10 has been directly involved and many thousands of activists all over the country [phoning] in a concerted way. Some of the phone calls are nice, some are less than nice."

The Tories deny offering Brexit Party candidates jobs or peerages.

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were

Post Edited (Fri 15 Nov 09:31)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 Nov 09:30

Police say they are assessing two allegations of electoral fraud, after claims the Tories offered peerages to Brexit Party election candidates to persuade them to stand down.

Labour peer Lord Falconer has urged the Metropolitan Police and prosecution service to launch an investigation.

He said the claims - first raised by the Brexit Party's Nigel Farage - "raise serious questions" about the integrity of the 12 December election.

The PM says the claims are "nonsense".
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 Nov 20:21

What the PM says is immaterial at this stage given that he's a proven barefaced liar.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Nov 19:46

Absolutely love it

Anti-Brexit campaign group Led By Donkeys has bought the website thebrexitparty.com and is offering to sell it to Nigel Farage for over £1m.

The group - known for its posters repeating quotes from politicians who may have changed their tune over Brexit - says it will increase the price by £50,000 a day.

If the Brexit Party leader buys it, Led By Donkeys says it will donate the money to the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants.

The offer follows Brexit Party lawyers contacting Led By Donkeys and asking them to remove their logo from the site.

But the party said the campaign group refused to transfer the domain name - similar to their official site "thebrexitparty.org".

Led By Donkeys bought the domain name earlier this year to challenge Mr Farage's party during the European Parliament elections in May.

"When Farage and his millionaire backers set up the Brexit Party, they didn't have the foresight to buy up all of the websites with their own name - and we did," Led By Donkeys' co-founder Oliver Knowles told the Press Association.

In a statement, the Brexit Party said: "The Brexit Party have issued a legal letter, via lawyers, Wedlake Bell to Led by Donkeys requesting they cease and desist from using the Brexit Party logo and Brexit Party materials on posters, document download site and via their website at thebrexitparty.com.

"They have offered to comply with these requests, but so far they are refusing to transfer the domain name."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Nov 19:52

They will probably be forced to transfer the domain at market value sadly.

Unless they start a business called "Theb Rexi t'Party" or similar since they would then have an equal claim.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Nov 12:47

Was it only a few weeks ago that Nigel Farage was being touted as the man who could change the shape of British politics? His Brexit Party was allegedly keeping both Johnson and Corbyn awake at night, fearful of the damage it would inflict on the mainstream parties.

Now his microphone has been turned off we can see, more clearly than ever, that Farage’s whole enterprise was one almighty bluff, amplified way beyond its influence by Brexiteer Tories intent on cowing their own voters into compliance. Nigel Farage stood seven times and never won a Westminster seat. If he could not win one, it’s pretty obvious that none of his fruitcakes had a hope in hell. The damage he was liable to inflict electorsally was minimal to either Tory or Labour.

His main threat remains however: to expose the Johnson deal as Theresa May mark 4, but at the moment he can’t be heard. After the election I expect his microphone to be turned back on.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Captain Desmond Fancey  
Date:   Fri 22 Nov 13:25

On the contrary, I would say his party is doing a good job of ensuring Brexit (albeit not the 'clean' one he would have preferred) will be delivered - at least if the recent shift in Grimsby is anything to go by.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/latest-poll-grimsby-general-election-3564637

Repeat this trend in a few Labour marginals and December 13th is going to be a great day to wake up on :)

The good old days
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Nov 13:29

The Brexit Party has changed its tune on, yes, Brexit.

Until a few weeks ago its leader, Nigel Farage was saying a no-deal Brexit was the "only acceptable deal".

But this "contract" moves the goalposts.

Gone is the criticism of Boris Johnson's withdrawal agreement - now the party simply promises there will be "no extended transition period" after Brexit.
Without saying so explicitly in this document, the Brexit Party is warning that it will campaign to ensure Mr Johnson sticks to his promise not to extend the transition any further.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Nov 16:14

The Gammon who follow Nige won't even notice in all honesty. It's a sad state of affairs
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Nov 16:21

He's about to be as relevant as Tommy Robinson Stephen Yaxley-Lennon.

And, if there's any justice, just as incarcerated.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Nov 16:45

Unfortunately no chance. He'll be well looked after for his contribution to the cause.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Nov 17:04

You're right - the hope for justice is an enticing one though.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Nov 17:15

Quote :-
Topic Originator: londonparsfan
Date: Fri 22 Nov 16:45

Unfortunately no chance. He'll be well looked after for his contribution to the cause.

A Peerage perhaps :-)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Nov 17:20

And possibly a few non executive directorships from off shore companies but hey maybe I'm just being cynical :-)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 11:40

Three Brexit Party MEPs have resigned from the party to support Boris Johnson's deal with the EU.

Annunziata Rees-Mogg - sister of Commons Leader Jacob Rees-Mogg - Lance Forman and Lucy Harris are all now backing the Conservatives.
They say voting for Mr Johnson's party at the general election is the way "to ensure Brexit gets delivered".

Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage said he was "disappointed" by the MEPs' decision.
He added that the party is already helping the Conservatives to secure a parliamentary majority for exiting the EU, having agreed not to run in seats won or held by the Tories in 2017.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 12:04

I think Farage is going to have to get used to a diminishing place in the spotlight although I'm not sure he's quite realised that yet.

He's pretty much served his purpose. He's proven to be pretty much unelectable but he has managed to drag the Tories further to the right and shored up the Brexit vote.

Once Brexit goes through his financial backers will quietly see to it that he retires from politics to pursue "other business interests".
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 14:54

Farage’s was indulged because he was presented as a threat to the Tory vote- an empty threat- which hardened the Party’s Brexit resolve and in the process flushed out many Remainers from within the Tory government. Money was pouring in from the USA to support his valiant cause.

Once this had been achieved and handed Johnson the reins of power Farage had to be silenced, since Johnson was never going to get Brexit ‘done’ any more than Theresa May. The US money for Farage will have dried up since the US financiers trust Johnson to open up the UK to investment without any EU regulations to get in the way.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 15:35

I thought it was Russian money pouring into Conservative hq?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 18:07

They're pretty much the same at the moment 😉
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net