DAFC.net
Home 19 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 bye-elections
Topic Originator: pacifist  
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 19:00

Anyone voted?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: bye-elections
Topic Originator: penapar  
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 21:31

Of course!

penapar
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 00:17

Dunfermline Central - SNP Win
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 00:26

Rosyth - SNP win.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 01:09

How did Alistair McIntyre do in Rosyth?

Post Edited (Fri 15 Nov 01:18)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 02:13

See the Leibore party took a kicking, on their way to oblivion

Post Edited (Fri 15 Nov 07:24)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 07:51

It's a by-election.

Labour appear to have been destroyed. Growing up in the 90s/00s it seemed imperceivable that anyone other than Labour would get elected in Fife!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 09:00

Really goes to show how terrible they've been in Scotland.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 09:35

Quote:

Tenruh, Fri 15 Nov 01:09

The ex UKIP clown got 5% of the vote.
Conveniently he doesn't tell anyone on the doorstep he is ex UKIP.

Strangely the Tory candidate Margaret Fairgrieve had the same address as him on their nomination papers.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 09:43

Alistair Amundsen McIntyre came fifth.
With that middle name he maybe thought a race to be first in a poll would see him sleigh his opponents..

Post Edited (Fri 15 Nov 09:48)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 10:00

made me smile ^^^^^
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 10:12

He’s feeling a bit husky after all that sledging..

Post Edited (Fri 15 Nov 10:16)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 11:40

Quote:

sadindiefreak, Fri 15 Nov 09:35

Quote:

Tenruh, Fri 15 Nov 01:09

The ex UKIP clown got 5% of the vote.
Conveniently he doesn't tell anyone on the doorstep he is ex UKIP.

Strangely the Tory candidate Margaret Fairgrieve had the same address as him on their nomination papers.

His mother,
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 14:06

Comes across as a top bloke:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/1006785/fife-by-election-candidate-slams-councils-wasteful-politically-correct-spending-on-gay-pride/

Hopefully he's a Sevco fan we've got enough scrotes involved in politics following us as it is.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 15:22

I assume you are being sarcastic in labelling him a 'top bloke' LPF but in my opinion nothing in that article is particularly unsavoury. He is questioning the validity of official spending on a gay pride event. Now I believe that an argument can be made to support his position and there is also an equally valid counter argument to be made as well. I think it's unfair to draw any conclusions about someones character based purely about their opinions on that subject in the context of public money spending.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 16:08

So if he had dismissed council spending on, say, Memorial Day as being done for "politically correct" reasons you would have the same attitude TOWK?

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 16:58

I do when he lumps LGBT and Climate Change spending into a "political correctness" bucket.

Both those issues are stand alone issues and are nothing to do with political correctness. If he had chosen to challenge spending on those issues on their own merits then I actually would have agreed with pretty much all of your post. You could also make similar arguments about whether you should spend money on the arts as an example when we've got the existence of food banks. As you've already noted in your post you can make very valid arguments on both sides as to where the money should be spent.

Unfortunately this dobber has chosen to quantify LGBT spending and Climate Change spending as "PC spending". It's well documented that labelling something as PC in this sense particularly when it's not PC related is intended to have negative inferences. We're only spending this money on the gays as its PC gone mad.

As Wotsit then points out there will be plenty of spending on other community events - why no mention of any of those? Should the gala be scrapped? Is a gala PC spending or is it only when gay people are involved we're doing it for PC purposes?

I'm sorry but I really do find anyone describing any spending on any section of a community (Easter, Xmas, Diwali, Gay Pride, Ramadan etc) as simlly "PC spending" a bell end.

If Rosyth was spending £1m on Diwali celebrations for a family of 4 then yeah I could see an argument that would be a disproportionate usage of community funds and you would possibly want to reign it in but don't turn round and give it the whole PC slant because its hee haw to do with PC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 17:18

Nicely considered reply LPF.

Exactly what is my attitude Wotsit in regard to this subject based on my only post on this thread?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 17:21

Thank you sir!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 17:22

Just wondered if a Labour politician had dismissed Remembrance Day spending as political correctness, whether you would respond by saying that an argument could be made for defending them?

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 17:25

By the way, it's just "Pride"

Gay Pride isn't a thing. Bisexual and Trans people, among others, go too.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 17:27

Oh yes absolutely an argument could be made for spending that money on better things and I wouldn't condemn someone soley on their making of an argument in support of doing that.
Like I said though LPF gave a good answer though.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 17:31

I've just realised you could have caught me out for missing a "+" there 😂

Some more diversity training for me I guess.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 17:36

All public spending is political.

If MacIntyre has not grasped this simple concept then I am not surprised he is still seeking full time employment as both a gardener and a politician.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 17:56

Oh yes absolutely an argument could be made for spending that money on better things and I wouldn't condemn someone soley on their making of an argument in support of doing that.

That's not what I asked though.

I asked whether or not your response would have been the same had somebody said that the reason the council funds Remembrance Services is because of Political Correctness. Not whether or not it is ok to question spending in principle; of course it's ok to do that.

My reading of lpf's post is that he has no issues with folk questioning spending - his issue is with folk using the socio-politically charged term "political correctness" as a way to dismiss something.

Or am I misinterpreting you lpf?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 18:01

Nope that exactly how I took LPFs post as well.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 18:07

That's how it was meant, you're both right.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 18:10

Cool.

So my question stands TOWK.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 18:22

Sigh. Read my original post again and then come back and tell me exactly what you think my attitude is towards this subject. What the council was spending the money on wasn't what my point was about. LPF had a dig at this guy, which I had at first thought was unfounded if we were only going by The Courier article. LPF expanded on his thoughts and I tend to now think he is right. I hadn't given the term 'political correctness' enough weight when I had read the article.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 18:51

Thanks for clearing it up. I did genuinely wonder what your thinking was and I'm glad that it was a wee misreading. I could have worded my first post in a less @rs3y way.

I'm genuinely interested in attitudes to political correctness though; it's a fascinating subject - especially what folk highlight as (or attribute to) political correctness and, more to the point, what they don't.

My view is that any definition of political correctness that includes something like Pride would also include something like Remembrance Day, however only those things which are (or were recently) outside of the established norms seem to have their politically correct nature highlighted.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 20:49

The spending does seem like a waste of money though. Folk are using foodbacks and money is getting splurged up the wall promoting folks sexual preferences. Who cares what folk get up to.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 21:36

Is the main purpose of Pride to promote people's sexuality? A bit of LGBT+ advertising?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 23:27

Last bye election result prior to the GE

Inverness Central SNP win with 45%
Labour last 7.9% - 10%
That's them now dead in Scotland, let's now move onto the tories and rid the country of another country's political parties and let Scotland thrive
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 Nov 07:05

Is the Nicht of the Lang Sgian Dubh nigh?

(apologies for any spelling errors, disadvantaged childhood, folks were from another country y’know)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 16 Nov 09:02

McIntyre is clearly a numpty. £25k for a Climate Change Officer is nothing. In fact, they'll be lucky to fill the post. That role will involve working with multiple departments (planning, transport, comms, marketing, economic development probably) to support their work.

If he wants to target wasteful spending within Local Authorities then perhaps question the need for so many well paid managers rather than focus on people getting a wage that's below the national average.

And if you want to moan about "PC spending" then don't cite and event that got a small amount of money but would have generated far more for local businesses in passing trade.

The only disappointing thing about Fife Pride is that it happens in Kirkcaldy rather than Dunfermline.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 16 Nov 09:29

Mario

I have an inkling that you are not taking this seriously
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 Nov 11:34

Wrinkled and inkled indeed.Just another canyon in the stagecoach journey of life.
Another three or four generations and I’ll be pushing up the cacti on Boot Hill..
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net