DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Labour leadership debate
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 15 Feb 22:02

Logged in to BBC News and clicked the links asking questions to the potential new leader

Can any one help me understand why the Jewish anti-semitic question keeps cropping into the Labour Party? and why is it so important ?

Also why are they so keen to defend it and rid the party of the alleged anti-semitic individuals

Jews represent 0.5 per cent of the UK population. They are the fifth largest religious community in the UK after Christians, Muslims, Hindus and Sikhs.

Why are they so concerned about upsetting the Jews ?

Tin Hat on but a serious question
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Labour leadership debate
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 15 Feb 22:07

Are you asking why are Labour so concerned about upsetting Jews?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 15 Feb 22:11

Aye Towk I am asking why it is a very important part of their past and future policy
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sat 15 Feb 22:12

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sat 15 Feb 22:07

Are you asking why are Labour so concerned about upsetting Jews?

Yes, sounds like he’s saying they’re a minority but not a very sizeable one so “who cares?”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 15 Feb 22:17

No allparone I am asking why is it more important than upsetting all the other religions .....Why has it been singled out ?....Is it as prevalent as the BBC and tabloids are making out ?.. Is the Labour Party the only Party with anti-semitic members .... I honestly cannot understand it
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sat 15 Feb 22:20

Have they upset other religions?

Tbh, I kind of see what you’re saying. There are members in the Labour Party, the tories etc who are racist bigots so why make a deal of this one issue?

Post Edited (Sat 15 Feb 22:25)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 15 Feb 22:25

Exactly allparone .... My question is why is the Anti-semitic problem so incumbent within the Labour Party and why is it so important to their future success or failure

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were

Post Edited (Sun 16 Feb 18:55)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Sun 16 Feb 19:08

I'd say a lot more anti-muslim Tories around,including their leader by some of his comments, but that is fine.It's just a trap the Labour party fell in to and keep it up.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 16 Feb 19:17

They shouldn't be treating anyone differently based on religion. Not sure why Judaism seems to get so much focus whilst hatred towards other religions is largely ignored. I realise there's a touch of "whitabootery" there but surely there should be zero tolerance?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Sun 16 Feb 22:44

Tbh, we should just ignore religion completely. BPP does raise a very interesting point though.

What I think you'll find is that the Israelis are very active in funding Zionist lobbying abroad, particularly in the US and to a lesser extent in the UK. This includes the media. Whenever you question Zionists on that point then you are automatically anti-Semitic, much in the same way that you are apparently Islamophobic if you question Muslims on their views on gay people.

I've always found it interesting how the Holocaust is always associated with the 6Mn Jews but very few people realise that there were around 11Mn Slavs wiped out by the Nazis as well - why is that?

The basic answer is that reigious organisations have a remarkable amount of finance behind them and people very clever at pushing propaganda and bombarding media outlets even about things like wording. Then the icing on the cake are the politicians. The right think their religion is superior and will use it to oppress others while the left idle in the illusion that there is no danger from politicised religion.

In the case of Labour, it's unquestionable that this was seen as a means to attack Corbyn, largely without basis, because he had spoken out in favour the Palestinian side. That said, some of Corbyns ties to Hamas and Hezzbollah were very questionable even though there was obviously much deliberate conflation in the media. Most media moguls are at the higher end of the pay scale and saw Corbyn/Labour wanting a bigger slice in tax so they attack him in any way possible. Simples.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Sun 16 Feb 23:08

I liked a lot of Corbyns ideas and I do not for a minute think he supported terrorists.What I didn't like was his idea that all countries should have rights apart from one.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Mon 17 Feb 13:56

Corbyn was initially quite bullish in his dismissal of the anti-Semitism claims, but then backed down and conceded the Labour Party had a problem. I think this shows that for all his abilities Jeremy Corbyn was no leader. He should have been far more forceful in distinguishing between anti-Semitism and criticism of the state of Israel, and making it clear that the Labour Party would never be cowed into silence when there were political criticisms to be made of the Israeli state. He could have thrown back at his accusers the allegation that they were trying to dampen down dissent, to curtail democratic freedom of speech, things the Labour Party could never be party to. ‘Are we allowed to criticise Israel? A simple yes or no will suffice.’ This rubbish should have been buried some time ago.

From what I can gather the Labour hopefuls are tying themselves in knots over identity politics, nationalism and gender issues with a dash of ecology thrown in. That’s good news for the Tories, their corporate backers and aristocratic fellow travellers. Whenever the debate moves away from Labour (wages, education, housing, health) and Capital (taxation, investment, ownership) then the heat is off.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 17 Feb 15:28

During my working days the Fire Brigade Union were heavily involved in the Labour movement and their prime subject was the Palestinian cause. This caused derision in the rank and file firefighters as the opinion was that there were more pressing matters other than the Palestinians!
Have such causes been converted into anti Jewish sentiment, quite possibly and infiltrated the Labour party.

Interesting that the hierarchy of the Scottish FBU were all Celtic season ticket holders and had a private box at Parkhead.

But then again that was 20+ years ago.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net