DAFC.net
Home 16 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Joanna Cherry to Holyrood in 2021
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 00:43

Have to say this is an interesting move.

Could this be a move to shore things up and bring in someone with a bit more gumption to tackle the mess in Police Scotland? Would certainly be an improvement on Humza Useless.

Or could it be a bid to succeed Sturgeon? I'd been hearing a few things about Sturgeon's coat being on a shoogly peg and much of that being down to her having a "Close Circle" of confidants compared to Salmond before her who was more open.

Regardless, I think Cherry is one of the more able politicians in the SNP ranks and I'd actually take her over Sturgeon as FM any day!

Bringing Cherry, Philippa Whiteford and Alyn Smith to Holyrood (and potentially Blackford but I can't see it happening) for cabinet positions could potentially be a bit of a game-changer for the SNP in terms of policy, but I think they will still hold around the 45%ish mark at the election regardless.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/politics/joanna-cherry-confirms-she-will-seek-snp-nomination-edinburgh-central-next-election-1887935
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Joanna Cherry to Holyrood in 2021
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 01:04

I think Cherry would have a battle on her hands to ever be elected leader. Many of my fellow members don't seem to like her due to her views on trans rights.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 02:03

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 02:26

You raise an interesting point there TOWKS.

I reckon a lot of the issues surrounding trans, gay and women's rights is that a lot of the pressure groups like Equality Network and so on expect changes to be magically implemented overnight. My own family are quite heavily involved in the legal profession and, from listening to them, when it comes to drafting legislation you really have to be very careful about how things are worded etc to avoid the creation of loopholes etc and I think that's what she has highlighted in a number of things she's said. On the back of that, I think its kinda ridiculous to call Joanna Cherry transphobic, particularly when she's quite open about her own sexuality.

I don't doubt that Transphobia and Homophobia still exist amongst certain sects of the population, namely the religious and the knuckledraggers, but I think the general attitude in Scotland these days is "live and let live" which is great.

Pressure groups, Lobbyists and so on do have to realise though that things take time and I think that's what JC is driving at, but of course you'll get the reactionist clowns who don't realise the potential damage that they can cause by mouthing off.

This article is quite an interesting read:

https://www.holyrood.com/inside-politics/view,with-a-cherry-on-top-exclusive-interview-with-joanna-cherry_14544.htm
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net