DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Isn't it Ironic?
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 13 Jul 13:00

The post Brexit arrangements to "take back control " of UK borders and keep most of those pesky foreigners out, may end up doing far more harm than good.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53382818

On the points based system, foreigners with a university degree, who are highly skilled and/or able to command a good salary, will be welcomed. Are there any provisions set out to allow seasonal workers to come in on temporary contracts, to those in low paid jobs such as social care, or those with unsocial hours such as the hospitality industry?

Ironically, the main historical justification for hostility towards immigrants was that "they come here and steal our jobs." Now that will need to be amended.

"They come here and steal the best jobs."

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Isn't it Ironic?
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 13 Jul 18:50

"They come over here and work hard" is more like it. Ever wonder why Aldi and Lidl have so many Polish workers whilst Tesco and ASDA are Scots? Because in Aldi and Lidl they work on the tills, stacking shelves or the warehouse. They don't sit about having a chat or hiding in the stock room. Last time I was in Tesco I had to wait on the woman finish her chat before she'd come over and approve my purchase.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 13 Jul 19:17

jake89 your right they do work hard but so does all the Aldi staff irrespective of nationality They are a low profit short sell by quick turnaround shop where they all muck in as it is in their remit

Tesco however have more staff standing about and walking about with earphones and radio's showing you the next available checkout etc. quite happy to see queues rather than open another checkout
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Jul 19:32

Yep, undoubtedly all work hard and certainly not just Polish in terms of migrant workers either. Main point is that these folk "stealing" jobs just seem more likely to be hard workers. Whilst there's tales of Scots not getting interviews as employers "prefer" Eastern Europeans, the reality seems more likely that Scots are turning down these jobs.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Mon 13 Jul 19:58

Quote:

jake89, Mon 13 Jul 18:50

"They come over here and work hard" is more like it. Ever wonder why Aldi and Lidl have so many Polish workers whilst Tesco and ASDA are Scots? Because in Aldi and Lidl they work on the tills, stacking shelves or the warehouse. They don't sit about having a chat or hiding in the stock room. Last time I was in Tesco I had to wait on the woman finish her chat before she'd come over and approve my purchase.

Well, where I work, there are people of all nationalities. Scottish, English, Croatian, Polish, Irish, Indian, Welsh, Dutch and Ukrainian.

Out of all those workers (in my opinion of course), the hardest workers are the Scots, English and Croatians (in that order) and the Polish worker is the laziest, most selfish hoor amongst us !
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Mon 13 Jul 20:09

It seems that official migration statistics from the UK were only gathered from 1964 so GG just missed appearing on the graph.

Interesting that the number of immigrants only began to exceed those who left the UK around the early 1980s, since when the gap has certainly grown larger. That didn’t stop Enoch Powell mouthing off about race wars back in 1968 when he should maybe have been more concerned with the ‘brain drain’ of qualified workers who were leaving the UK. I doubt that the brain drain ever stopped but it has been masked by training thick, rich kids how to shuffle money around the financial services sector. If we leave the EU without our financial ‘passport’ then that game will be well and truly up.

Priti Patel’s points system is legalised snobbery that seeks to attract workers expensively trained in countries less developed economically. Anyone with a bona fide job offer should be welcome so long as they are of good character and prepared to work.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Jul 21:10

Maybe just conclude that Aldi workers work harder no matter nationality. 😂

Brain drain is always going to happen. Forget looking across Europe, just look at the UK where all the "brains" end up working in London. Even in Scotland the "brains" are drawn out of places like Fife to work in Edinburgh.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 13 Jul 21:13

Aldi workers I think do work harder. I think it's to do with the way Aldi organise their staffing levels, they run a tight ship. They also pay their staff more than other supermarkets though.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Mon 13 Jul 21:18

I struggle going to Tesco these days. Aldi runs a smaller product line but it doesn't offer much less choice. It's simply doesn't have five different versions of the same thing. Makes for a quicker shopping trip and less thinking.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 13 Jul 22:38

Quote:

jake89, Mon 13 Jul 18:50

Thats a load of bollocks but I suspect you know that but have embellished it to make some kind of point.

I'm a regular in Aldis and there staff, all nationalities, are some of the hardest working people I've ever seen.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 14 Jul 00:15

Quote:

jake89, Mon 13 Jul 21:10

Maybe just conclude that Aldi workers work harder no matter nationality. 😂

Brain drain is always going to happen. Forget looking across Europe, just look at the UK where all the "brains" end up working in London. Even in Scotland the "brains" are drawn out of places like Fife to work in Edinburgh.

LPF liked this post.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 Jul 00:15

I think I'm more likely to be the exception that proves the rule 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 14 Jul 02:13

HaHa! Nice one, LPF.

:)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Jul 00:26

🙃
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Wed 15 Jul 16:38

Aldi pays more and, equally importantly, treats its workers with respect and whilst they ask quite a lot of their staff in return I'd much happier in my job if I was able to pay my bills and look myself in the mirror than if I got a good skive.

Iceland is a similarly well regarded employer in terms of treating their staff well and I've always had a good service there.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net