DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 No Supermajority on our watch
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 09:27

Iain Lawsons blog this morning

CONSTITUANCY VOTE SNP

LIST VOTE ALBA

https://yoursforscotlandcom.wordpress.com/2021/04/07/no-supermajority-on-our-watch/

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: No Supermajority on our watch
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 10:07

Anyone else thinking that there might be some gamesmanship going on here?

I watched unbelievingly in the last days as Daily Mail commenters were bigging up and supporting Salmond, thinking that he is going to stop Sturgeon and the SNP... thereby saving the precious union.

IF SNP and Alba were immediately `partners` aiming for Independence, the vitriol would be streaming towards both.

With this perceived difference, most of the yoons seem to be concentrating on a hope of `divide and conquer`, rather than winning anything with Scottish Conservative or Scottish Labour, or even the usual play of `SNP baaaad`.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 10:10

With Salmond heavily involved in any independence campaign yes is going to lose again.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 10:24

He's still got a following out there, the present situation we find ourselves in is not all his doing. Whether you or I like it or not the SNP have fractured and if we don't work together there won't be independence for many years.
The next time we vote in the Scottish Parliament we most probably will have both the SNP & ALBA contesting the Constituency seats.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 10:31

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Wed 07 Apr 10:10

With Salmond heavily involved in any independence campaign yes is going to lose again.

That’s nowhere near guaranteed.

The SNP will have lost some following due to the perceived witch-hunt against him, and if/when they stand in constituency seats, there may be a split of the Indy vote.

But for now, any seats that Alba win on the list will be almost exclusively at the expense of non-SNP parties.

Nobody is going to change their mind about Independence because Salmond is there. If a voter specifically doesn’t like him, they might not vote list in his region, but I don’t see it affecting anywhere else.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 11:21

What if someone is not sure about independence? Yes already performed poorly among women in 2014. Salmond shoe horning himself front and centre into the campaign isn`t going to reverse that stat. In fact it will do quite the opposite.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 11:36

If someone is `not sure about independence` then I doubt they would be voting for it in the first place.

At this point, we are not concentrating on the `not sure` people.
They will only need to be convinced at referendum time.

Now is about winning the election.

Simple arithmetic states:

IF the SNP retains close to its 2014 constituency result, they will be near, but short of an overall majority.

IF Alba get only a quarter of the SNP list voters (10% of the vote) then they will get around 10-15 list seats - we are already at a large pro-Indy majority.

IF Alba get half of the SNP list voters (20% of the vote) then they will get around 25-30 list seats - we are then at `Super-Majority`.

All this without converting a `not sure`.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 11:47

Have you got a postal vote?

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 12:23

Lux, never expect any logic from the Daily Mail or its readers. Without even looking at that story I can guarantee the following comments will feature:

She hates England - Bob, Kent
Scotland can't afford independence - Phil, London
We should just let them go - Susie, Tyneside
Wee Burnie - Stevie, Sussex
Wee Krankie - John, London
Not all of us in Scotland support her - Billy, Glasgow

The DM is pure click bait. They rile them up knowing they'll be racking up those advert views.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 12:54

LOL Jake - you are spot on

But you missed:

We should rebuild hadrians wall - James, Southampton
Free prescripshuns paid by England`s taxes - Longshanks, London
Stop giving them the Barnett - Clueless, Englandshire

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 13:19

London blitzed, I dinnae care - Hugh Macdairmid.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 14:02

Clydebank blitzed....…...Media blackout...…...your old enough to remember that shameful episode aren`t you ?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 14:50

I`m not aware of any English poet saying they weren`t bothered about it, Maybe you could dig one up?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 16:15

Hugh MacDiarmid was contrarian by nature and I am sure would be signing up to join ALBA were he still with us.

How long he would remain a member is another matter. MacDiarmid was kicked out of the SNP for being a member of the Communist Party and later booted out of the Communist Party due to his Nationalist tendencies.

Provoking thought and argument were MacDiarmid`s stock in trade so the London blitz comment is in line with what Boris Johnson has said about Scots and Liverpudlians in more recent times. The difference is that the Scottish people, for all their admiration for MacDiarmid, would never have been lunatic enough to elect him as leader of their country.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 16:30

Gorgeous George has joined the circus. He`s never far away when an opportunity for self-promotion appears:-

The All For Unity manifesto was launched by party founder George Galloway and leader Jamie Blackett The founder of a new pro-union party has pledged to "tackle the scourge of separatism" as he launched its Scottish Parliament election manifesto. Mr Galloway, a controversial former Labour MP, wants to form a cross-party Government of National Unity with Scottish Labour, Conservative and Liberal Democrat MSPs after next month`s election.

The party`s manifesto says that indyref2 should only happen if pro-independence parties are backed by a "clear majority of Scots entitled to vote (rather than those who actually do vote)". It also says any referendum should allow Scots living in other parts of the UK to have a vote. And it argues that, if the country does vote for independence, each region of the country should be allowed to choose whether they want to remain in the UK or join the new independent country.

The manifesto also proposes renaming the Scottish government as the "Scottish Executive", and says powers should be devolved to the regions of Scotland, rather than central government.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 16:36

As for media blackouts Sammer, I’m sure you are aware of reasons for that, mainly maintaining morale. There are loads of books about civvies in wartime.
The devastation of Coventry, Cardiff, Liverpool, Manchester, Hull etc etc, all the balls ups, retreats, surrenders, warships sunk, convoys scattered and so on.
To imply one was singled out because it was north of the border is a sign of a very warped noddle.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 16:39

That sounds like a plate of scrambled egg. How can a ‘Unity’ party exist without including the largest single party in the country? ‘All for the Union’ would be a more honest title.

As regards Scots living outwith Scotland but in the UK, what Galloway test is to be introduced to determine who is a genuine Scot or not? Place of birth? School history? Familial DNA?

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 16:51

I think it was desperado who made the blackout reference.

I acknowledge that during war truth is the first casualty and that all countries impose censorship. Some of the claimed mutinies from last century are still very hard to establish by historians even today, since their existence would undermine the received narrative necessary to fight the next war.

We have been on a war footing for some time, with The War against Drugs being stepped up in the 1960s and The War against Terror being launched in 2001. Neither of these chosen ‘wars’ has produced much in the way of victory- in fact most evidence points to years and years of front line defeats. Yet a narrative of effective action is broadcast to us daily. Much the same will be happening with The War against Covid. Evidence is emerging that our defences against the ailment and our attacking strategies are not producing the results promised, so any unwelcome truths about the side effects of drugs has to be either blacked out or rubbished. For morale purposes of course.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 16:58

Bomber Harris thought that bombing German cities would collapse civilian morale and seriously impair production of war material
It didn’t.

Post Edited (Wed 07 Apr 17:03)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 17:48

I’m not sure of your point here, but bombing cities has always been about destruction. The more enemy citizens killed the better, as they are the persons working the industrial machinery that you are also aiming to destroy. However this is never openly admitted so we are served a narrative of ‘surgical strikes’ or Bomber Robertson’s ‘degrading the enemy capacity.’

To return to topic, the metaphor of ‘rolling out’ the vaccine has echoes of Bomber Harris’ ‘carpet bombing.’ Every square inch to be covered, wall-to-wall.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 19:11

Quote:

Luxembourg Par, Wed 7 Apr 12:54

LOL Jake - you are spot on

But you missed:

We should rebuild hadrians wall - James, Southampton
Free prescripshuns paid by England`s taxes - Longshanks, London
Stop giving them the Barnett - Clueless, Englandshire

Can't believe I missed those. Especially the Hadrian's wall one. I wonder how Scotland would feel about acquiring half of Northumbria!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Thu 8 Apr 01:59

Hah! Nice one, Jake!

:)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 8 Apr 11:52

I usually defer those comments to Newcastle commentors, as they would be in the `new` Scotland...

Would we want them?
I would imagine that we have much more in common with Geordies than Essex wide boys or Oxbridge toffs...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 8 Apr 12:33

I think what's indirectly being touched on here is that people in Scotland generally have no issue with people from England. Yes, there are a few idiots, but every village has one. The issue is typically with Westminster and having to respond to people living in England who fail to understand that it's a UK parliament making UK decisions using UK money as opposed to an English parliament making English decisions using English money.

I am the main earner in my household but we both do even amounts of work. It's "our" money, not "my" money. The clue is in the word "United".
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 8 Apr 12:36

Maximo Park asked to join an Indy Scotland if we voted to go it alone when they played at TITP before the last referendum.

Probably not the most representative sample I've presented there but not all the English are bitter about us having policies many of them want.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net