DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Violent Clashes in Northern Ireland
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 9 Apr 07:46

The simmering tensions in NI, which have never completely gone away, are boiling over once more. The manner in which the Tory Government ``solved`` the Brexit conundrum hasn`t helped matters at all. It was entirely predictable that the Loyalists would feel this was the first step towards a united Ireland and now they`ve been joined by the Nationalists, it`s only going to escalate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56664378

Post Edited (Fri 09 Apr 08:15)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Violent Clashes in Northern Ireland
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Fri 9 Apr 09:05

If you think it's bad now wait till July time
You ain't seen nothing yet
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Fri 9 Apr 12:04

The Good Friday Agreement might not be perfect but it used to more or less work as a way to keep the political violence down to levels that allowed the people there to live reasonably normal lives.

Then along comes Boris Johnston and his Brexit-at-any-cost juggernaut to crush the Good Friday Agreement in a way that hugely betrays the Loyalist community.

Then there's the fact that rioting has traditionally been seen as something of a fun leisure activity in parts of NI and you have this inevitable situation.

That's why it makes me irritated to see government ministers, including Johnston, trying to tell off the rioters as if they are doing something unexpected. It was about as inevitable as anything can ever be.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 9 Apr 12:29

You're forgetting though Wotsit that deep down it's the really nasty and vindictive EU for not throwing their own rules out the window to accommodate BoJos redlines that are at fault. It's those naughty bureaucrats in Brussels trying to bully us again. *insert your own patriotic finale to this post (bonus points for an obtuse war reference)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 9 Apr 12:53

A few `non-oven ready` chickens have come home to roost since the Brexit deal was struck.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 9 Apr 17:49

While this may be a symptom of brexit let`s not let`s these scumbags off the hook. They are nothing but thugs and criminals. Some poor bus driver almost got incinerated by these cretins.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Apr 18:11

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 9 Apr 17:49

While this may be a symptom of brexit let`s not let`s these scumbags off the hook. They are nothing but thugs and criminals. Some poor bus driver almost got incinerated by these cretins.

Spot on, TOWK. Any excuse will do for those Neanderthals. What I find particularly loathsome but not surprising, is that they're actively encouraging young kids to get involved.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Apr 18:24

They are not Neanderthals, they are people like you and I who are in fear for their future and for their preferred way of life.

A united Ireland might be a good thing in the long run, who knows, but it`s not something that these people would in any way welcome. They feel like they haven`t been listened to using the "new" methods, so they have gone back to the "old" methods to see if that works.

People don`t like being ignored.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Fri 9 Apr 18:31

And so they threw a flaming petrol bomb into the cab of bus? While the driver is sat in his seat? They tried to murder the poor guy. All I`m seeing is bunch of teenage thugs and louts causing damage, threatening life and very much enjoying themselves in the process.

Realise that not everyone may have seen the footage.
https://www.reddit.com/r/northernireland/comments/mm964a/savages_petrol_bomb_a_bus_with_the_driver_still/

Post Edited (Fri 09 Apr 18:38)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Apr 19:11

Quote:

Wotsit, Fri 9 Apr 18:24

They are not Neanderthals, they are people like you and I who are in fear for their future and for their preferred way of life.

A united Ireland might be a good thing in the long run, who knows, but it`s not something that these people would in any way welcome. They feel like they haven`t been listened to using the "new" methods, so they have gone back to the "old" methods to see if that works.

People don`t like being ignored.

Sorry Wotsit, I'm normally in tune with your thoughts but these people are dyed in the wool, living in the past, thugs, who have no respect for others who do not share their ideals and beliefs.

Of course, chickens are now coming home to roost once more thanks to the British Government's "plantation" of Protestant families in Northern Ireland. I visited Derry a couple of years ago and was profoundly shocked at the segregation and naked hate of the Catholic and Protestant communities. Giant murals of youngsters shot dead by British soldiers on the Catholic side and red, white and blue painted kerb stones on the Protestant side with a big, thick wall in between.

What is that all about in the 21st century?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Apr 19:48

The divide in NI is the result of planned colonisation by Scots during the Ulster Plantation.

This colonisation led to a tension which has yet, 300 years later, to be properly addressed.

The Good Friday Agreement stopped the fighting, not the tension. We still have to find a way to get folk over their to live happily as well as semi-peacefully so breaking important promises which disproportionally impact one side in such a fresh conflict was the move of an arrogant idiot who will have been told in no uncertain terms that this would happen.

Whilst I disagree with how those people got to be in Ireland and I disagree with the values by which they choose to live their lives, I feel that they have a right to be heard and they have been royally screwed over with solemn promises (enshrined in treaty) being casually ignored.

The UK has a reputation all over the world for breaking promises, and creating chaos along the way - just ask the people of Palestine what they think of Lawrence of Arabia for example.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 9 Apr 21:10

``What is that all about in the 21st century?``

It’s about who runs what, that ever present political issue.

Even within my lifetime Northern Ireland was once a very peaceful part of the UK with a lower crime rate than the mainland. It was a heavily policed society so maybe that was an uneasy peace, but the population didn’t wake up one morning in 1969 and decide to become hooligans.

The UK government looked away for 50 years whilst Stormont discriminated against the Catholic population, then sent in troops to bolster that very parliament when it was under threat. So far so bad, but not content with alienating the Nationalist community with its policy of internment, the UK government then engaged in ‘secret’ talks with the IRA which convinced the Loyalist community they were about to be sold down the river. Maybe sending in troops did stop a bloodbath in 1969 but only at the cost of managing a low level civil war which lasted almost 30 years.

The distrust of UK governments by both sides has been well earned and it took an American senator, George Mitchell, to help broker the peace that was the GFA. Under Johnson, the UK government can all but be guaranteed to make a bad situation worse. I think we need an envoy from Biden or from the EU to knock some heads together for Johnson is up to his armpits in the present mess.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Apr 14:20

A report on the adults encouraging children to become actively involved in the violence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56708430

No doubt these are, in large parts, just criminal gangs using the cover of sectarian violence to further their own illegal enterprises.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sun 11 Apr 18:12

[Post Deleted] - Reported as abusive
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 11 Apr 18:25

It was said that the problems were being caused by drug gangs that have found that their supply routes have ceased to exist.

From TV pictures it would seem to be young neds imitating their forefathers, without really knowing the history behind it.

Wait till unification talks start!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Sun 11 Apr 18:32

Sadly when unification talks start, I fear we'll end up with most of the bigots rehoused here in Scotland.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sun 11 Apr 19:20

Topic Originator: Tenruh
Date: Sun 11 Apr 18:32

Sadly when unification talks start, I fear we`ll end up with most of the bigots rehoused here in Scotland.

Another reason why we need out..and soon.

WM will happily oversee the Ulsterisation of Scotland. They were happy to see it in N Ireland and they will be even more happy to see it here. They will stop at nothing.

Union of equals ...😱

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net