DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 320,000 Pigs
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 6 Oct 17:37

I often get emails from change.org inviting me to sign petitions, for many worthy causes. Not sure if this comes under that banner but this did catch my eye.

The story of 120,000 pigs

The UK is set to incinerate between 100,000-150,000 pigs in the coming weeks as there is a shortage of abattoir staff post-Brexit. This number is set to continue rising, and many farmers across the UK have already had to cull pigs and piglets.

These pigs have been selected through no fault of their own - they’re just over the ideal weight for slaughter/the meat industry and they’re taking up too much space and money on farms.

Boris Johnson has stated that this is a ’necessary part’ of the post-Brexit transition and that the UK public needs to understand that animals die in the food industry. Please remember, these pigs will not die to be eaten. They will be thrown into skips and then put into a livestock incinerator. 

This will be the largest cull of healthy animals in UK history and it has to stop. The government must take responsibility for this and give farmers an answer and a solution which means no more pigs have to die for no reason. 

Will we ever stop paying for Brexit?

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Thu 07 Oct 08:45)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Change.org
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 6 Oct 23:24

Might want to try again with that link GG.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 07:33

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Wed 6 Oct 23:24

Might want to try again with that link GG.

Aye, that link was bizarre, so I've just copied and pasted the story.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 08:33

It`s no surprise that nothing has been done to plan for these labour shortages. During the Brexit referendum campaign, which was easily the most dishonest political campaign in my lifetime, there were no details given of the likely economic effects of leaving. It was all about cutting immigration to keep out these nasty foreigners who were pinching British jobs.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 08:44

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 07 Oct 08:33

It`s no surprise that nothing has been done to plan for these labour shortages. During the Brexit referendum campaign, which was easily the most dishonest political campaign in my lifetime, there were no details given of the likely economic effects of leaving. It was all about cutting immigration to keep out these nasty foreigners who were pinching British jobs.

I caught a bit of a telly programme the other day - probably “Countryfile”- which covered the shortage of crop pickers due to immigration problems post Brexit.

They certainly were not taking jobs from the natives - Brits don’t want this kind of work.

The legacy of the lunacy that was Brexit.

Post Edited (Thu 07 Oct 08:45)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 08:50

Do Brits not want the work or is it that the work doesn't pay enough for a Brit? The issue for farmers is that the supermarkets offer them pennies so a rise in wages will cut their profits or make them unprofitable. Their only option is to increase the sale price to the supermarket resulting in higher prices for the consumer meaning a greater number in food poverty as prices go up.
[IP address logged]
 Re: 320,000 Pigs
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 10:10

I applied twice last year for fruit picking jobs up at Dundee. Knocked back by the woman from their recruitment team. When I asked why she said they were only looking for overseas helpers. I thought she was kidding so I said “just pay me what you’d pay them” (I just wanted to work that’s all). Her reply “they do more hours than we can give them; it’s not about pay.”
I’m still bewildered as to what that meant / why I couldn’t have worked there.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 10:12

They were saying last night that planting new fruit crops will stop this year as there is no guarantee of them being picked when they ripen.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 10:27

Quote:

buffy, Thu 07 Oct 10:10

I applied twice last year for fruit picking jobs up at Dundee. Knocked back by the woman from their recruitment team. When I asked why she said they were only looking for overseas helpers. I thought she was kidding so I said “just pay me what you’d pay them” (I just wanted to work that’s all). Her reply “they do more hours than we can give them; it’s not about pay.”

It could be a legal work directive issue. For example they could probably only give them 35 hours if they were to be employed directly. However if they were self employed and dictated the terms to the supplier (farm) at lower cost than minimum wage and worked more than the time directive then maybe this is the loophole. The farm could probably not say anything like this legally to you, so I think this is maybe why it sounds like an odd statement.
I think someone on the forum would have a better explanation, but it sounds something along those lines. Employ teenagers as they did when we were young, but that will probably not be allowed. Rack and ruin is what I say!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 13:10

Did the fruit pickers not get their accommodation as well?

Seem to remember seeing loads of static caravans near farms.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 14:31

This is the plan. Brexit is working exactly as intended.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 15:06

Brits haven`t picked fruit since the DWP (probably the DSS back then) started sending agents out to the fields to bust folk who were on benefits and making a wee bit extra on the side (usually saving it for Christmas.)

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 15:31

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Thu 07 Oct 13:10

Actually this thread has made me think more about it. I cycle a lot and tend to stay near the country tracks. What I remember this year was the sweet sweet smell of rotting strawberries and didn’t think about it then. At the weekend a I stopped to let a car pass me. Group of people who were “looking for a field”. It was dark on a Sunday morning and I passed them further on and could see the cars were hidden and they were picking with the farmers -incognito. Starting to think we are all screwed as if farmers cannot pick their crops with our labour laws then farming is screwed. We will just import from cheaper European countries and fields will become fallow.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 16:55

Quote:

buffy, Thu 7 Oct 10:10

It's also because the foreign workers rely on the accommodation that farmers charge them for, 100% profit on an old messed up caravan, that from a relative in the fruit game, they ain't getting any rent off you.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 16:56

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Thu 7 Oct 13:10

They are charged for it.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 18:07

Moved to the politics forum?
Seriously, Dave?

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 19:27

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Thu 7 Oct 18:07

Seriously, Dave?

My fault, AAPS - I shouldn't have linked this to Brexit in my OP. ☹

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 7 Oct 21:24

Quote:

Rastapari, Thu 7 Oct 16:56

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Thu 7 Oct 13:10

They are charged for it.

Probably what the person that spoke to Buffy meant, was that they can exploit workers from overseas in a way they can't exploit people from here. Sometimes they are charged extortionate amounts for their substandard accommodation. They may be paid the minimum wage allowable to keep things seeming legal, but they are probably having a large proportion of that taken back off them to live in an old, damp caravan with several other people. Basically they are being used as slave labour.
It may even be the case that the farmers will pay a fee to gangmasters who will then bring in modern day slaves to carry out the work. It's an appalling situation. There was a case in Blairgowrie recently as on the story below, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. A lot of this goes unreported and the police aren't interested as the farmers are coining it in.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/7060190/romanian-nationals-court-human-trafficking-ring-perthshire/

I remember one case that ended up in court a few years ago, a strawberry farm in Perthshire, after the negative publicity they just changed the big sign on the farm to his missus name. Note on the story below how the police drove the workers to the bus station, guaranteed the police will always take the rich person's side.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/8605038.stm
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Fri 8 Oct 10:01

Quote:

GG Riva, Thu 7 Oct 19:27

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Thu 7 Oct 18:07

Seriously, Dave?

My fault, AAPS - I shouldn't have linked this to Brexit in my OP. ☹

It's a shame as it's a topic worthy of a wider discussion.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net