DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Professor Alf Baird
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sun 19 Dec 11:54

https://fb.watch/9_Qha1gV0F/

Of course I agree with everything Professor Baird says.

Many Scots will not consider themselves as living in a colonised country but that is exactly what we are.

His last points resonated with me in particular. Meritocracy.

If you listen to Radio Scotland regularly almost every so called expert that gets interviewed on any given subject seems to be English. I always wondered why that was. Well if his study into Scottish universities is correct and that 90% of University academics are from south of the border, then that explains a lot.

Ask to speak to the manager in most retail stores and…..he/she will probably be English.

I suppose it has been going on for so long now that it is just normal for most Scots to invariably hear an English voice explaining the situation to the natives.

Devolution has changed things in that respect to a degree as nowadays we hear Scottish politicians speaking about Scottish issues far more than we used to.

And to most folk I would hope that there is a realisation that we don’t need an old Etonian type telling us what is good for us anymore.

Anyway long story short. We will have to extract our self’s from the Union soon or total assimilation/anglicisation is inevitable.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Professor Alf Baird
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 19 Dec 12:57

There was a lot of food for thought in what he had to say. I also listened to the speaker who followed him, Dr Ian Grant.

You don`t want to stop people from outside Scotland applying for top jobs here though, especially if you want to promote immigration as a symbol of openness and a way to grow the economy and change the demographics of the country.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 19 Dec 14:41

Wild idea, but maybe it`s because there are 10x more people in England and they see Scotland as a desirable place to live?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Sun 19 Dec 14:42

You never hear a Scottish accent down south right enough, oh I forgot …all those political commentators etc aren’t real Scots.

In fact according to the Chair of our local health board “ being born in Scotland does not alone a Scotsman make” ex Presiding Officer no less.

Post Edited (Sun 19 Dec 15:16)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Sun 19 Dec 15:45

Parboiled - why the faux outrage?

I`m a dual national of Scotland and Sweden. I grew up in Scotland, so I`ll never be Swedish in the same way that I am Scottish. Likewise, my son is a tri-national of Scotland, Sweden and Japan. For the moment at least, he is growing up in Japan and so will not be Scottish in the same way that I am.

Nationality is more to do with where you grow up and what environment has the strongest influence over your own mentality - that is shaped most during your formative years.

Having worked in England (among others), I would say the mentality of Scottish people is completely different to the English. Scots are far more similar to Danes or Dutch in my experience despite what certain media outlets like to tell us about our "closeness" to the English.

In my experience, those who are Unionists are far less likely to have lived outside of the UK (or I guess anglophone world) and experienced how different countries function. More often they`re older as well.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 19 Dec 23:10

A small part of me still resents having to wait a few weeks for the English schools to finish up so we could get the kids TV going. And don`t start me on the kilts and "och aye the noo" every time Matt Baker or whoever from Blue Peter took their annual trip to "Scotland" (the actual whereabouts were rarely stated) for Burns or some crap.

I often find the media speaks of Scotland in the news as if it were a foreign country. The whole "Scotland correspondent" thing is bizarre. There`s no "England correspondent", of course.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net