DAFC.net
Home 10 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Independence or Devolution
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 15:06

https://wingsoverscotland.com/surrender-when-youre-winning/
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Independence or Devolution
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 22:14

Devo-max would probably be the preference for many and would likely end with independence.

However, that`s what the cow effectively promised and instead we got Brexit and rule changes that effectively REMOVED powers.

The UK is a disgrace right now. Idiots voted for Brexit out of apathy and frustration and now things are even worse.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jun 07:31

Nothing there to disagree with.Brexit changed everything , since Xmas just look at the changes taking place in Scottish politics, Westminster is now going to challenge everything regarding the Scottish Parliament, why the sudden rush to the out door by the senior nuSNP politicians? What`s the reason for the nuSNP showing a large loss of seats in the next 2 elections. Have they been performing poorly?
Coming up for 10 years since Indy1 and no groundwork was ever done for indy2, seems odd that the politician who was leading us to indy2 in October this year resigns unexpectedly.
What`s going on...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Fri 9 Jun 08:51

The politician who was leading us to Indy2…that’s a cracker!

And no, Westminster isn’t going to challenge everything regarding the Scottish Parliament. Why throw a spanner in the works when car crash Scooter is at the wheel?

Post Edited (Fri 09 Jun 08:52)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 9 Jun 09:38

Then why challenge anything? Your logic eludes me.

The intriguing thing about unionists is that they seem to accept without question that Westminster does a good job.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jun 11:59

Never nebbed a WOS link before. What a haven for headbangers!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jun 15:48

Quote:

Parboiled, Fri 9 Jun 11:59

Never nebbed a WOS link before. What a haven for headbangers!

This one will make you happy

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-next-government-of-scotland/#more-137904
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 08:55

Sorry the link not working this time, could you re do pl?

Btw I quite enjoyed this Rev chap’s comments, witty with a bit of bite!

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 10:17

How nice that opposing parties can find some common ground they can share.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 11:36

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 10 Jun 10:17

How nice that opposing parties can find some common ground they can share.

Ha ha guid ain Eck, not long until the nuSNP and Slab get the opportunity, then it`ll be devo all the way....

Post Edited (Sat 10 Jun 11:38)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 11:38

Quote:

Parboiled, Sat 10 Jun 08:55

Sorry the link not working this time, could you re do pl?

Btw I quite enjoyed this Rev chap’s comments, witty with a bit of bite!

It`s working here in Alba buddy
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 12:14

More proof that independence is off the table

https://archive.is/2023.06.10-061911/https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/snp-independence-minister-says-party-30194537

Post Edited (Sat 10 Jun 12:15)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 13:30

No it`s not its blatantly a stepping stone to Independence. We`re not going to get a referendum on Independence but if there was an option for devo max that Labour thought they could win then they might be open to allowing one. Once devo max is up and running and the country sees we can actually run our own affairs it`s a much easier push for full Independence.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 14:10

I wouldn’t trust Scooter and his mob of thickos with Pepsi max..half can barely read a question, or reply to one, that’s been spoon-fed and written down for them.
There has even been occasions when the answer being spouted isn’t even linked to the question at all!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 14:24

Quote:

londonparsfan, Sat 10 Jun 13:30

No it`s not its blatantly a stepping stone to Independence. We`re not going to get a referendum on Independence but if there was an option for devo max that Labour thought they could win then they might be open to allowing one. Once devo max is up and running and the country sees we can actually run our own affairs it`s a much easier push for full Independence.

So why have we wasted 9 years thinking the nuSNP would deliver on independence, was it just a bluff so they could keep their snouts in the trough ? Or do they now realise that they're going to have to form a coalition government as support for them is slipping.

Don't suppose they'll need the money raised for indy2 now...

Post Edited (Sat 10 Jun 14:30)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 14:29

They`re trying to but after Salmond botched the last attempt it was always going to take years for another ago. Even in the polling that was published after the last referendum said 10 years for another vote was the most popular option.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 14:52

Always someone else's fault....

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-heavy-lifting/

Post Edited (Sat 10 Jun 14:56)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 16:20

How did Salmond botch it?
Cameron gave him everything he asked for - the franchise, the question, the timing,etc
I never saw him give a big televised speech like Gordon Brown did, but what difference would that have made?
He was on a loser from the start.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 18:01

Parbroiled, I have to admit, you have my curiosity.

Honestly, your attitude toward Scotland and Scottish Statehood is really reminiscent of the attitude that the Russians show toward the Ukrainians and other former Soviet States.

You stated recently that you have "not a single drop of Scottish blood", which I`m guessing means you are an English resident of Scotland.

Have you and your family benefited from the extra Social policy that exists in Scotland? Was that a factor in you moving to Scotland? Why continue to live there if things are so bad?

Or is it that you simply come on here hoping for a rise out of somebody?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 18:41

It really cheered me up when Parboiled announced that he didn`t have a drop of Scottish blood in his body but other posts suggest he has spent most of his life here. Can you suffer from the Scottish cringe if you`re not Scottish?

His post at 14:10 today could be applied in spades to PMQs at Westminster where the participants make absolutely no attempt to answer questions but simply read scripted insults to each other. They also love calling each other childish names which, based on his comments on here, Parboiled seems to think amounts to political debate.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 19:17

Wee Eck - I agree, it really was very telling!

Personally, I just find it ironic that someone spends so much time denigrating a country that he chose to and chooses to still live in. Moreover he is vehemently opposed to statehood for said nation when it is a country that is older that many others, including England.

If my maths and history serves me correctly, 843 was a good 80 years before 927! Funnily enough, we just celebrated National Day here in Sweden on the 6th of June and this year it marked 500 years to the day since Gustav Vasa was elected as King of Sweden, an event which many regard as the founding of the modern Swedish State.

Somehow, despite the nearly 700 year age difference, I don`t think anyone would mock Swedish statehood in the same way that Parbroiled likes to mock Scottish statehood or Putin tries to mock Ukrainian statehood.

Gotta smile sometimes!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 20:54

I was born here, my parents were English. My father was posted to Rosyth Dockyard in 1942. There were many like him.
So away and and todger each other you pricks.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 20:59

I`m not sure what you`re complaining about. You`ve never posted a positive comment about Scotland that I can recall. You haven`t learned any manners either.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 21:03

I like Scotland fine, so mince off to you’re beddy byes

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 21:05

Funny way of showing it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 21:13

The country is fine, apart from Anglophobic tits like you

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 21:18

Oh and HJ, stick to something you know about. The price of chips in Stockholm perhaps.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 22:05

What have I posted that is Anglophobic? I`ve got family in England like lots of Scots.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 22:05

Oh dear, Parbroiled, we seem to have struck a nerve there!

I hate to break it to you, but being challenged on the basis of your beliefs is not inherently prejudiced. Your response is rather akin to Christians or Muslims that are challenged for wanting to base laws on the rules of their chosen magic psychopath in the sky.

Funnily enough, I actually come from a family with a pretty huge RAF Officer background (going back to my Grandfather who flew Spitfires from 40-47) and my immediate family are all pro-UK and pro-Brexit Tory voters. Having been in both the ATC and UAS myself, you actually remind me of a number of English officers that I encountered who thought their rank entitled them to respect as opposed to the Scottish and Welsh officers who realised they had to earn it - dealing with this nonsense was a huge factor in putting me off joining the regulars. Funnily enough, you see very little of this in the Swedish Defence Forces.

I encountered likewise during my teacher training in Durham from SLT members too. Personally I couldn`t stand the superiority complex and social apathy that is rife in English society. Simply put, there is a massive difference between the Scottish and English psyche which you demonstrate rather succinctly.

Like Putin, it seems that you believe if you say something enough then you`ll believe it to be the truth yourself. It seems that, like a number of woke leftists, you are completely oblivious to the fact that your nonsense just switches people off to any valid arguments you might have.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 22:13

Just as a wee addendum: I actually couldn`t tell you the price of chips (or "pommes" på Svenska) in Stockholm because I live closer to Malmö 5 hours south of there. I can certainly give you a price in Malmö or Copenhagen thought if you`re pricing up the cost of a wee jolly - feel free to let me know!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 22:16

HJ you could bore the balls off a brass monkey. I’ve never got past. the second line of your turgid tosh

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 22:19

The last one was better though. I finished it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 22:20

I reckon we both know it`s more likely because you basically don`t have an argument. Or could it be that you suffer from ADD?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 22:58

I`ve got to say, I really do feel sorry for Parboiled, on every thread he posts on, he can barely disguise his hatred for Scotland, the Scots, women, the French, the Germans, the young, in fact almost eveeyone that`s not like him. I hope his parents don`t ever see the vile rants he puts out here, I could only imagine how let down they would be to have it known they raised someone so bitter and twisted.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 23:40

It`s OK; it`s only because he sooked too hard on a Werther`s Original.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 00:00

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 10 Jun 23:40

It`s OK; it`s only because he sooked too hard on a Werther`s Original.

Ooh, I bet he did
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 01:47

Soor Ploom mare like...Canny be havin they German sweeties efter Brexit!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 07:34

Morning Gents, back on topic, does anyone agree with the nuSNPs policy of abandoning independence for 10 years to persue Devo-Max (and line their own pockets) or should they look at alternative options, are there any?

Post Edited (Sun 11 Jun 07:34)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 08:21

Another Jarrow March. Starting in Johnny Scroats.
UDI
Mass hunger strike

Just for starters. No had my full English yet, and a hangover throbbing like a disco in Hiya Nappy

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 12:24

Quote:

Tenruh, Sun 11 Jun 07:34

Morning Gents, back on topic, does anyone agree with the nuSNPs policy of abandoning independence for 10 years to persue Devo-Max (and line their own pockets) or should they look at alternative options, are there any?

What are the options to achieve Independence without a referendum then? The last one was only granted as the Tories were convinced they`d win it comfortably and they won`t be making that mistake again anytime soon.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 12:28

‘…..there is a massive difference between the Scottish and English psyche….’

Really? So HJ you’re saying Glaswegians and Shetlanders have the same psyche? And the Geordies and the Cornish have the same psyche? But Berwickers have a different psyche from people from Eyemouth? All based on an imaginary line drawn on a map.

You’re thinking in labels. You criticise religion, but you’ve replaced religion with another dogma.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 12:52

Quote:

londonparsfan, Sun 11 Jun 12:24

Quote:

Tenruh, Sun 11 Jun 07:34

What are the options to achieve Independence without a referendum then? The last one was only granted as the Tories were convinced they`d win it comfortably and they won`t be making that mistake again anytime soon.

That`s a good question, what are the options?
That`s a question for the independence politicians who`ve sat in both parliaments for the last 9 years . Where`s the plan? What happened to the secret route that NS had?
Now they realise they`re not going to hold the power next time round we find out they`ll accept Devo-Max.
The nuSNP aren`t going to change. Vote them out
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 12:58

I don`t know if `psyche` is the right term but there must be some reason why a majority of Scottish voters have elected more left-wing candidates than their southern neighbours for the last 70 years or so. If that continues I don`t see how the UK can survive as a democracy with a settled will throughout its four constituent nations. I`ve never heard an explanation as to why there was such a divergence in the votes in the Brexit referendum between Scotland and the rest of the UK. (I think the N Ireland vote to stay was probably a result of close links with Ireland).

I have seen references to a trait of English `exceptionalism` which manifests itself in the sort of right-wing governments we have seen lately and I think that kind of attitude towards foreign countries is not as rife in Scotland.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 12:59

If the current UK government disintegrates and Labour gain power, I would imagine Wales putting a pressure on them!

This might lead to enhanced powers, and if SNP become the second largest party at WESTMINSTER there could be some fun on the horizon.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 14:36

I’m not sure what the SNP strategy is.

I think it used to be something like the following:

Target Labour in West Central Scotland (but retain their soft-Tory support in the shires). This was helped by Labour hubris, and continuing Tory unpopularity.

Wait for the spin of the roulette wheel to give them a shot of government (with Tory backing as it turned out)

Run a short-term, populist, nationalist, don’t scare the horses administration with a few bribes thrown in to increase support to a sweet spot – high enough to give you a chance of winning a referendum, low enough to be given the chance by an over-confident government.

Go all in.

All this went to plan.

But they lost the referendum.

Since then, they have relied on “events” as Macmillan might have said – the Euro Ref, the CoVid pandemic, the war in Ukraine – to help them surf the global populist wave. Made lots of promises but never actually delivered. And now, finally, their failings of governance and of government may be coming home to roost.

Their big problem is that they have never been able to demonstrate a convincing financial case for independence – their first case relied on oil money which was madness on several levels. Their revised, Andrew Wilson/Kate Forbes inspired case relied on real terms cuts to public spending (also known as “austerity” which seems to be a dirty word even though all parties campaigned on a version of it) and the latest “case” conveniently ignores the issue altogether.

I think the senior figures know the game is up (modulo another “event”) at least for now and are torn between milking as much out of it as possible or quitting and getting on with their lives.

Their best plan might be to take a dive in the next Scottish Election and hope someone else takes the blame for clearing up the mess.

As for Devo Max – there is a theory that you never give concessions, because rather than buying off your counterpart, they just encourage them to seek more. This was illustrated to me in the (theoretical, thankfully) case of offering an elk-steak to placate a hungry polar bear. Devolution in the first place was thought to be an unnecessary concession for this reason.

We never hear of Full Fiscal Autonomy any more – there is probably a good reason for this.

Currently, I don`t see how the SNP have much influence at UK level. Even in a balanced parliament is there any realistic prospect of them voting against Labour?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 15:36

How many members will desert the nuSNP this coming week ?

Post Edited (Sun 11 Jun 15:43)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 20:02

Wonder how many will join this coming week?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 22:25

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Sun 11 Jun 20:02

Wonder how many will join this coming week?

Not many,

Let`s face it they`ve lost 50,000 members since 2016 and if they told you that would you have believed them ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Neil_Philp  
Date:   Fri 16 Jun 12:31

How do you milk a sheep?

Promise another Scottish Independence referendum.

COYP
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 17 Jun 11:09

https://wingsoverscotland.com/a-man-hears-what-he-wants-to-hear/
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 17 Jun 12:43

More recycled mince from Scooter, there can only the dimmest of the dim that believe that now.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net