DAFC.net
Home 09 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Being inoffensive
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 13:49

In a war, anything goes, it`s all-out murder, and the rest. We have seen how poets in a certain country are being given hefty jail sentences for their anti-war poetry. Some of the poetry is hard-hitting and offensive to some who hear or read it. Especially to those who are pro-war in another certain country. Are poetry and art to be "gentlemanly" - inoffensive in response to war?

Post Edited (Sat 30 Dec 15:03)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Being inoffensive
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 15:02

Take the recent case of a young man who was jailed in a country far away from here. His poem contains a couple of lines at the end, which some find offensive. They should! They are offensive! That`s the point of the poem. It`s a poem in response to a particular current invasion by one country of another. I mean how offensive is the war? I believe the poet`s response is meant to be as war-like and offensive to the invaders as poetry can ever claim to be.

The title is repeated throughout the poem, and at the end, a couple of ideas, guaranteed to cause a reaction. It`s important to note that the offensive ideas were not carried out. I believe they were a pointed way of saying to all the invaders, look, while you`re doing what it is you do in war - look at what could be happening to your family, who you`ve abandoned at home. It`s intended to make each of the invaders, or those who might join them, think about their families and children. To remind them that their families and children are supposed to be their first concern, not blindly going to war, as part of the invasion for their president, and the notion of defending "the Motherland." That`s the essence of an anti-war poem.

It is not a poem describing what`s happening in a way that`s calculated to arouse our sympathy, it is addressed directly to the invaders, hence it is extreme.

Post Edited (Sat 30 Dec 15:52)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 17:08

Surely offensive is subjective? Some people find Sam Smith offensive whereas I see him as no worse than 80s Madonna. Neither are especially offensive in my eyes yet some people foam at the mouth at the mere mention of Smith.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 18:07

Quote:

jake89, Sat 30 Dec 17:08

Surely offensive is subjective? Some people find Sam Smith offensive whereas I see him as no worse than 80s Madonna. Neither are especially offensive in my eyes yet some people foam at the mouth at the mere mention of Smith.

Sam Smith isn’t offensive per say - more just an annoyance…but as you say, it is subjective.

Many in here probably dislike Jimmy Carr and Frankie Boyles form of comedy - but I enjoy it because its their character and the way they portray it. But as Carr himself says, not everybody is expected to like his comedy, and he’s fine with it, but thats the purpose of comedy.

Meanwhile, others find Rosie Jones stand up funny, whereas I don’t, unfortunately because I need to focus more on how she performs, through no fault of her own - is that then offensive? I more than likely laugh at things she has written for Cats does Countdown etc…..
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 21:52

Admin has informed me that they deleted two of my threads because, it seems some “people” were offended by some of the contents, so I’m gonna try again.

If this post survives, I will delete any others where there is duplication.

Seeing as sammer’s post in the GOD thread (Fri 29 Dec 01:39) hasn’t been deleted by Admin or sammer, I guess there’s nothing in it that offends anyone too much?

Therefore I will quote from that post.

I’m taking issue with sammer because in that post he completely misrepresents someone, accusing him of what most would agree to call evil.

Some background: sammer lives in Moscow. He has argued extensively that Putin had no choice but to conduct the “special military operation” (SMO) in Ukraine. He is vociferously pro-Russian regarding that war. He complains about children being killed in Gaza by US-backed Israel, but not about children killed in Ukraine. That’s to say, he is not interested in the overall matter of children being killed, only in Russia v the West, and he takes every chance to blame the West for every bad thing.

Hence, his attack on someone who posted, on Youtube, a video of himself reciting an anti-war poem, and has subsequently received a seven years jail sentence for it.

Quote, sammer: “Artyom Kamardin (political martyr in Moscow) now has a photo at his trial published in The Guardian newspaper….Kamardin looks pretty cheerful for a guy who has been raped by a barbell.” [A photo taken 15 months after the event, sammer implying that it never happened?]

Quote sammer: “rape is a topic close to his heart as seen in his ‘poem’ recited outside Mayakovskya Metro… [‘Kill me, Militiaman!’] His earlier verses range from oral sex in toilets to a predilection for young girls.” [I have challenged sammer to provide any way of identifying these “earlier verses.” A title? A part of a title? Even in Russian? Nothing has yet come to light there. Is propaganda behind this?]

That’s enough for now. In another post I will give my explanation for why sammer’s claims about that poem and Kamardin are completely contrary to the truth. [Still time for sammer to provide any evidence at all to back up his accusations.]

Post Edited (Sat 30 Dec 21:54)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 22:56

Sammer and the truth are strangers.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net