DAFC.net
Home 27 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Splitting or Maximising ?
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 09:48

https://www.offtopicscotland.com/post/splitting-or-maximising
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Splitting or Maximising ?
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 11:13

The problem with the suggestion in that piece is that Alba, Greens and SNP are not the same. They all have different manifesto pledges and policies. The only thing they have in common is support for independence. That is a single, but very large, issue.

Local issues will impact on votes too. I can`t imagine many around Falkirk and Aberdeen voting in a Green candidate.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 12:38

The Unionist parties need to cooperate and select one candidate for each seat. Time to maximise their built in majority instead of splitting the vote and letting the Seps sneak in…

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 13:25

Instead of encouraging tactical voting at a general election why not have a referendum?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 13:33

Quote:

Parboiled, Fri 8 Mar 12:38

The Unionist parties need to cooperate and select one candidate for each seat. Time to maximise their built in majority instead of splitting the vote and letting the Seps sneak in…

What you`re suggesting would be the equivalent of "Rangers or Celtic?". Whilst I appreciate there is almost no difference between the Tories and Labour or SNP and Alba, they are not the same.

Bringing a GE vote down to a single issue is counter-productive. As Eck has said, a referendum would make more sense.

Let`s be honest, if the main party in Scotland wants a referendum it should be given one. How would it have worked if the EU had turned round to Cameron and said "Sorry, my friend, now isn`t the time for you to vote about leaving us"?! Perhaps not the best example as it sounds more and more like we might be returning!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 14:35

While I`m cooling quite quickly on Scottish independence I do have sympathy with the those who aren`t happy with not having a route to a referendum. However let`s say that Westminster granted a referendum and it was held next year. It was once again won by those wanting to remain part of the UK. A mere twelve months later there is the Holyrood elections and the SNP either on their own or with the greens once again get a majority of the seats (though not a majority of the votes) would it be acceptable to then demand another referendum and if not then why not?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 16:48

Is it not in the Good Friday agreement that a wait of 7 years would be minimum between any border poll referendum (along with the electorate voting for a party that would trigger for it obviously)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net