DAFC.net
Home 05 October 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Alcohol Price Rise
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 30 Sep 11:27

So the minimum alcohol price rises by 30%. Fortunately for me my alcohol intake has reduced dramatically (not that it was excessive anyway) over the last few years but I really don`t think that has been because of the price. Of course this price hike won`t deter those who are already alcoholics but I may stop some from ever going on that path to start with. It`ll also help the supermarkets as well as the price increase goes straight into their till.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Alcohol Price Rise
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 30 Sep 13:54

I`d be interested in what happens with existing alcoholics. They will find a fix where they need it and my concern is they turn off the booze and onto cheap street drugs.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Mon 30 Sep 15:38

Folk who are addicted to alcohol don`t tend to use other substances much (maybe a bit weed) so they will do whatever it takes to get their booze. Many will reduce their outlay on food, rent and bills before choosing to drink less, and that will lead to debt, Homelessness and, ultimately, an earlier death.

Places such as Finland which have minimum pricing also have an abundance of addiction recovery services and other relevant provisions for folk who are either already in addiction or who are looking to stop. It`s not so easy here, with folk usually waiting months between their decision to stop using and a place being available. Obviously, a lot can happen in those intervening months and most are no longer in the same frame of mind when they are finally able to make use of the services they wanted.

The extra cost should be raised as tax to pay for services for folk who want to stop, otherwise it is basically condemning people to a miserable, short, life.

The enemy travels by private jet, not by dinghy.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bletchley_Par  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 11:41

Another tax on the poor by the evil leftist parties.

Nae money for heating.
Smoking eligible only on the moon.
A lottery win required to have a pint.

The globalists will go after gambling next, probably to protect us all from ourselves.

Maybe this is the equity they talk of, to make everyone miserable

The puritans never went away they just changed clothes.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 12:55

The globalists should have gone after gambling a long time ago to be fair. And the banks that just keep upping peoples credit with zero care in the world about the consequences.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 14:12

It`s always fascinating when right wing nutjobs blame issues arising from capitalism as being somehow left wing.

Bosses paying themselves huge sums whilst their workers starve? That`s communism apparently.

Capitalist institutions seeking to dominate global commerce is now some sort of leftist conspiracy it seems.

The enemy travels by private jet, not by dinghy.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 14:33

Whilst I`m unconvinced by MUP, the goal is reduce harm for alcohol abuse. Like most major health issues, the problem usually stems from trauma. People don`t choose to be drug addicts or alcoholics. It`s usually an escape from trauma. Putting the price up won`t solve the problem. It will simply move it somewhere else unless it is supported by having proper support in place.

Social work and social care is on its knees in Scotland and all the improvement work appears to be the responsibility of NHS management who focus on treatment rather than prevention. I`d suggest ignoring the NHS and ask the teams in council social work and social care but they`ve just shot themselves in the foot by withdrawing support for a national care service. If you don`t laugh you`ll cry. They desperately need change but when offered it they say they don`t want it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 20:46

Out in Tenerife just now, where you can get a pint for €1.50 or in better bars Estrella Damn for €2.00, just saw a 3/4 bottle 8yr old rum for €8.00 in Mercadona!

The only drunks you see are tourists, must be in the UK mindset!
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 21:25

If you go to Lidl just now they`re selling the Victoria Malaga lager. 6 cans cost £6.75 so around £1.14. In Spain you can get it for the equivalent of 37p a can. So pretty much a third of the price.

Obviously there are serious issues that result in alcoholism, but there`s also a very immature attitude to drinking in the UK.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net