DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Update to iPhone app coming soon
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 20:04

Hello folks, I`ve given the iPhone app a bit of long overdue TLC, with the following changes:

> It now takes up the full-screen on newer phones
> "New Post" and "New Post With Quote" always now start with a fresh post.
> If you start to type a post then exit it without submitting, you can access the content using a newly available "Edit Draft Post" menu option (which only appears if you have some text that you haven`t submitted yet).
> Fix to the glitches with changing font size - it is now immediately reflected on-screen when changed (previously you had to come out/in to see the changes).

I`ll be uploading this new version under my own Apple Developer account, under the initial name of "DAFC.net Forum 2" to make it distinct from the existing version. In due course, Brian will bring down the current version from the App Store, and I will rename mine (if I can).

I`ll post here once the boffins at Apple deem my version worthy of a place on the App Store. Hopefully later this week if the sun and the moon align.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Update to iPhone app coming soon
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 22:40

This is now available - see my post on the football forum.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sun 10 Jan 13:32

Milos, I have had the new app for a few days now. I have noticed a few times in the last couple of days the app crashing when the app is opened and a topic is selected. It crashes the same way as the old app did when there was no internet connection. This new app is crashing even when there is a connection though. Opening the app again solves the issue. This may be the same problem Raymie was talking about on the football forum thread the other day?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Jan 15:18

Allparone, is there a regular pattern at all? Is it always at the point you press a thread title, and it craps out just after the tap?

I'll see if I can make sense of the crash reports, assuming I am getting them!

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Jan 15:25

Also, which iPhone do you have, with which version of iOS? My best hope is that I can reproduce it on the simulator.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Jan 15:53

iPhone 12 14.2.1

It happens when I first open the app and tap on a thread title. It doesn’t happen every time in fact it happens very little. I’ll try and log when it happens as I think it may happen when I haven’t opened the app for a few hours and then open it again.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Jan 16:17

Thanks allparone, any further info is appreciated. These intermittent issues are always a pain to solve.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Jan 16:51

It just happened there. I clicked on the Admin Issues tab and the app closed down so it’s not just when I open the app and not just when I click on a thread title on the football forum.

It’s a minor inconvenience on a brilliant app tbh and is solved in seconds. It’s definitely not a complaint from me. I posted as I know you like to know about these things (or maybe not lol).
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sun 10 Jan 17:20

Haha, it's all very appreciated, allparone! It will be an issue that will undoubtedly be affecting other folks too.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Jan 20:03

More info. Every time I click on the Paul Town Artwork thread title it’s crashing.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Jan 20:18

Yeah, the Paul Town Artwork issue is caused by some mangled BBCode that tripped up the iPhone app - I`ve just added a trap for that in the iPhone version (available when I put the next version out). In the meantime - I`ve unmangled the bbcode in the post, so the image is now showing.

On the sporadic crash, on the upside I have managed to get the app to crash on the simulator, but the bad news the code that is crashing is not mine (it is deep in the framework I am using). I am Googling about it now, and hopefully there is some kind of workaround.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Jan 21:16

I`m going to take a punt and upload v1.8.5 to the app store. This has the trapping of the dodgy-bbcode issue that befell the Paul Town Artwork thread (before I fixed it), but more importantly has another tweak that may fix the sporadic crash.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Jan 18:31

V1.8.5 now available on the app store. Allparone, would be good to hear whether this still crashes (though I'm not too hopeful, TBH!).

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Fri 15 Jan 08:45

To the tune of 10 green bottles

99 bugs in the code
99 bugs in the code
Take 1 down, patch it up
133 bugs in the code

Doing a grand job. Only kidding
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Jan 17:55

Haha, I'd be happy with 133 bugs :)

Allparone, any update on your crashes with the latest update from the app store?

This is my signature

Post Edited (Fri 15 Jan 17:55)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 Jan 15:23

I’ll keep an eye on it Milos. I don’t think it’s crashed since yesterday but I’ll let you know if it does (hopefully not).
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 Jan 16:27

Okay ta. Make sure you've got v1.8.5.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net