DAFC.net
Home 25 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Hare coursing
Topic Originator: calpar  
Date:   Fri 8 Jun 21:16

Dont like it

It is Fri night 🀣
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Hare coursing
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 8 Jun 23:24

I don't get it?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sat 9 Jun 00:06

I was brought up hunting rabbits and hares with lurcher dogs, I am not talking about 2 guys letting a hare escape from a cage and bet on what dog kills the hare. I am talking about taking your dog on walks for hours, weekend after weekend, Month after month.

Your dog might chase 3 or 4 hares over the year, catching nil.

I was brought up respecting these animals , I wouldn't let the dog chase anything I wouldn't eat.

Still to this day I get excited when I see hares running around the fields around my house. Not because I wish them all dead but because nature is superb.

I can remember being an early teenager and a local farmer asking my dad to go up and let our dog wipe out a rat infestation, I was shocked when he declined, stating "if you can't eat it , why kill it."

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WORST  
Date:   Sat 9 Jun 09:42

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Sat 9 Jun 10:06

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sat 9 Jun 10:17

<<but hunting by cats continues killing millions of birds every year!>>

great point renegade
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Jun 10:57

I thought I would have been massacred on here for what I had written last night.
Renegade Master you put your argument in to words way better than I could ever have.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Jun 11:12

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sat 9 Jun 11:22

Cheers RM,

I could not agree more about the cat thing, 2 days ago my daughter was heart broken because I had to kill a young crow as it had been severely mauled by the neighbours cat, I ended up telling her I had walked up the hill and put it in whin bushes so the cat wouldn't get it again.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Sat 9 Jun 12:25

Somebody needs to have a word with the big craw that terrorises the cats in my street that its supposed to be the other way around !
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Jun 12:35

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Sat 9 Jun 22:24

No problem for pest control ie rats mice.Dead against bull fighting, Hare coursing, and dog fighting. Utterly cruel ,no, purpose so called sports. How can you enjoy a animal being tortured !
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Jun 00:40

Totally agree that bull fighting is brutal, and as Stevie states above fox hunting with a pack of dogs is barbaric.

Pest control is ok?
Please explain why killing a rat, throwing in a ditch isn't cruel, but a dog chasing a Hare is an animal getting tortured?. Both the Hare and the dog are doing what come naturally. If and it is a big if , the dog catches the hare, the hare is then eaten whereas the rat is just flung away.
Would you be happier if the hare was shot (which in lots of cases don't kill the animal) or are you thinking hares and rabbits should be left alone to do what they do, which is destroy crops.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Jun 10:35

MDCCCLXXXV

think you've hit the nail on the head...

everyone is appalled by fox hunting, but will happily call rentokill to kill hundreds of wasps in a nest in their shed or dismiss that dead bird from a cat a 'present'

my personal view is that i don't really care if a sighthound kills a rabbit, a foxhound kills a fox, a cat kills a mouse, a lion kills a wilderbeast, etc

however, i accept that i can't take a dog out into fields and allow it's natural behaviour to kick in and let it kill a sheep

i suppose the bit i understand where many people have a problem, is the fact that many of these things are done for the pleasure and spectacle of it (hare coursing, fox hunting, bull fighting)

a farmer getting a couple of jack russels in his hay barn to kill rats isn't doing it for pleasure, so perhaps that's the difference to many
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 10 Jun 19:38

Killing animals as "sport" is cruel and barbaric.

I fail to see the comparison with cats etc. in their natural hunting instinct, or exterminating vermin.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Jun 20:57

DBP where do you draw the line at killing vermin,
Rats?
Rabbits?
In some areas of the UK roe deer are classed as vermin.

Vetraneastender, you state killing animals for sport is barbaric, where do you stand on fishing?

It is the most participated sport in the UK, do you think rabbits , hares, pheasants and other game are more important than salmon, trout and other fish.

IMHO I find it more barbaric to feed and look after cows, lambs, pigs and deer for years then simply butcher them for profit!

When I slipped my lurcher on a Hare, the hare had 80 or 90 percent chance of getting away to enjoy another day. The next time you sit down to a nice juicy steak or a roll on bacon, think for one minute, From the second that animal was born it had a ZERO % chance of dieing from old age.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Sun 10 Jun 21:25

Interesting subject.

RM quote:

β€œthe ultimate aim was for the dog to have the skill to catch the hare.”

Not strictly true.

I have been to several coursing meetings in Ireland over many decades as my brother in law bred coursing greyhounds as many people in rural communities did. It was part of the culture.
What was essentially a traditional rural sport like fox hunting has over the years been sanitised by the urban classes and pc brigade.

To those who do not know what coursing is let me explain briefly.

The course is about 150 yards long with a straw wall at the end with a small hole in it big enough for a hare to get through.

Two dogs compete at the hands of a β€œslipper” who holds the leads. The hares are caught locally prior to the event.

In each course the hare is released in advance of the two dogs and given about a twenty yard start. The slipper releases the dogs and they pursue the hare who by now realises there is a chase and takes off up the field.
The course is monitored by an umpire on horseback who follows on the sidelines.
Gambling is a big feature of each race.

The course is won by the dog who gets nearest to the hare who on sensing their approach makes a turn. At this point the umpire signals the winner as being the nearest dog to the hare at the turning point.

The winner has nothing to do with a β€œ kill”. For several decades the dogs have been muzzled.
On almost all occasions nowadays the hare will get to the end of the field and disappear through the hole in the wall which is not big enough for the dogs to follow through.

I don’t profess a view either way on whether this so called sport is ethical or not in today’s world but we need to remember that the ways of those in traditional rural communities are not the same as the genteel folks in towns and cities and that’s the way it will always be.

Post Edited (Sun 10 Jun 21:41)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Jun 23:05

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 00:02

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 08:59

https://www.facebook.com/dasterraslusas/videos/1955032534554975/UzpfSTEwMDAwMzEzNjUwNDUyMToxNjY0ODA4NjUwMzAwMzM2/

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 09:13

"Vetraneastender, you state killing animals for sport is barbaric, where do you stand on fishing?"

Fishing for food goes back to the dawn of civilisation.

I don't "get" the "fun" in killing any animals needlessly.

Of course if they pose a threat to human society, directly or indirectly, then humane
measures are appropriate.

I had a qualification for clay pigeon shooting, but would never dream of firing at a live bird.

"VEE. An average return on pheasants killed to released is 40%, partridges 33%, ducks 60% which means that the remaining percent are added to the food chain for other predators such as otters, martens, badgers, foxes, eagles, falcons etc etc do you think you would see so many if they weren't being supplied game to eat?"

In which case, simply rearing the relevant amount of these "game" birds required to maintain the food chain for such predator species would suffice.

No need for "sportsmen" to needlessly shoot the remainder.

Post Edited (Mon 11 Jun 09:19)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 09:16

<<DBP where do you draw the line at killing vermin>>

i don't think i have a line to be honest

i've had pest control kill a wasp nest next in our garden last year and in our old house i trapped (old style mousetrap) mice - think there was about 6 in the end

i'm not vegetarian and from your list of vermin, enjoy venison and rabbit. i can totally get why people can have issue with livestock farming especially battery style and recognise we all get our meat from nice little packets which seem quite removed from the origin of the contents

however, i do find a bit of double standards when someone talks about foxhunting yet owns an outdoor cat... but again, i suppose the difference is that they're not following the cat and taking pleasure from the stalk and potential kill.

for info, i don't hunt or fish (too much of a city boy) and i don't have a pet myself

hope that answers your question! :)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onlytakes  
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 09:19

There's a big difference between pest control or hunting for food and murdering an animal for enjoyment. The latter implies sadistic tendencies or some kind of inadequacy.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 10:00

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 11:56

The food we find in our supermarkets caught by fisherman or slaughtered by a butcher is all done methodically.

Releasing a bird just to shoot it is needless and not normal behaviour.

That's just my opinion.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 12:28

Onlytakes, we are all entitled to an opinion mate but if you think all animals that we buy from supermarkets are butchered methodically mate, do you honestly believe chickens live a beautiful healthy life before being butchered, lots of these poor birds have never seen daylight, forced fed and the vast majority only live about 6-8 weeks

https://www.ciwf.org.uk/farm-animals/chickens/meat-chickens/

Chickens bred for eggs usually live for around a year, 5 or 6 birds per 2 foot square. Millions of these birds die in the cage every year

http://m.downthelane.net/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.downthelane.net%2Fbattery.php&width=412

As you said mate it is all about opinions and my opinion is I would rather eat meat that has at least had some sort of life.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 12:35

Well aware of it and try to avoid buying chickens (and other animals) treated in such a way. Hard to tell nowadays as even some that sound fairly ethical aren't. Still, those chicken farmers aren't releasing the hounds to catch the weaker chickens.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 12:48

So IF I had a dog that could hide in a bush and wait until a Hare walked past and killed it instantly

No hunting ,no chase , no pain but no chance of the hare living to see another day, you would be fine with that ?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 16:20

Depends why you plan to kill the hare. Is it for food, to stop it harming the environment, or just for kicks?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 16:31

Every thing my dog caught was eaten, I despise people that kill for kicks,
I, like Everyone I ever went hunting with was taught to respect the animals we were hunting and the countryside we were hunting in.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 17:14

How can ye respect an animal... And then kill it?
Surely respect would mean letting it live?..... Genuine question btw.
Not judging.... Just curious.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 17:43

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 18:02

I enjoy the taste of game , I would rather catch the hare or rabbit that has lived a life than eat meat that has been reared for the sole reason to send to an abattoir and someone to make a profit from an animals suffering.
The respect part comes from when I was brought up I was taught
1) you are in the animals habitat, you leave the place the way you found It, no littering, No damaging thier environment , If the correct environment is there , animals will flourish.

2) do not go hunting to kill as much as possible, no point in killing more than you need and certainly don't go to the same place over and over again until there is nothing else to hunt. Nature doesn't work that way

3) Never try to kill an animal, by that I mean you either kill or don't kill, if you think the animal may be hurt you do NOT leave until the animal is found. In all my time hare coursing only once did Ben (my dog) come back without the hare, for the next 2 hours my father and I hunted the hill until we found It, the hare was dead but to large for the dog to carry.

Hunting with dogs wasn't all about catching , for me it was more about being outdoors , I have been out weekend after weekend for months without even seeing a Hare .

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Jun 15:17

Really enjoyed the debate, especially as Calpar started it as a joke.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Jun 16:02

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Jun 18:01

I'm sure you'll manage mate πŸ€—

πŸ“πŸœ
πŸ„+🐷
πŸ„+πŸ„πŸ·

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Jun 06:08

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Jun 08:19

Good man πŸ˜‰πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
Β© 2021-- DAFC.net