DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Scotland beat England...at cricket!
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 10 Jun 18:53

Scotland, ranked 13th in the world, beat England, ranked 1st, in a 50-over match at the Grange, Edinburgh, after scoring a record 371 runs for 5 wickets and bowling England out for 365. That's a first-ever victory over the Auld Enemy at their national summer sport.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Scotland beat England...at cricket!
Topic Originator: dpard  
Date:   Sun 10 Jun 19:16

Was a good performance from Scotland, thought for a moment it was going to be another 'so close' moment but a couple of good deliveries at the end sealed a famous win.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 10 Jun 19:29

Did Freuchie not beat everybody in sight a few years back ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: petrie_pants  
Date:   Sun 10 Jun 20:00

Excellent from Scotland and makes the ICC decision to reduce the amount of teams in the world cup look even more embarrassing.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sun 10 Jun 20:27

Correct veteraneastender,
Please sit down before you read the next sentence.
Freuchie won the UK village cup in 1985.

Now that is scary

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.

Post Edited (Mon 11 Jun 08:46)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Sun 10 Jun 20:32

“A few years back”
Only 33!

Do Freuchie still have a team?

Great display from Scotland and some consolation for the WC defeat against the Windies. Hopefully can build from here.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Jun 20:47

I watched the highlights on Channel 5 and I'm sure I spotted a Pars' fan in the crowd. Millsy or Wallsy maybe?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Sun 10 Jun 21:24

Was watching the runs and overs left on the BBC website and thought it would have been the inevitable so close story. Great result for the Scots. Well done.
Football players and cricket players of a recent’ish era who played cricket and football (or vice versa)
Andy Goram
Fraser Wishart
Ian Botham
Any others?

Post Edited (Sun 10 Jun 21:25)
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: ktayfly  
Date:   Sun 10 Jun 21:34

Donald Ford Hearts Scotland and West
Alan Cousins Dundee and Clackmannan County
Jackie Copeland St.Mirren and

All in the past unfortunately.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Jun 22:25

Chris Balderstone played football for Carlisle United, I think, and also county cricket - was it for Leicestershire? He may have been capped for England at cricket.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Sun 10 Jun 22:27

Well done. So often this event has been disrupted by the weather over recent years.
Ian Botham just happened to be staying in the same hotel when Freuchie won the National Village trophy at Lords. He participated in the celebrations with great enthusiasm...sore heads in the morning.

Post Edited (Sun 10 Jun 22:29)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Sun 10 Jun 22:34

Bit off piste but the best cross sport person has to be Denis Compton who won league and cup medals with Arsenal and went on to become one of England’s most successful and stylish Test cricketers.
He also played football for England during WW2 but international caps were not awarded at that time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 01:09

Scot Symon was a dual internationalist (football and cricket).

Was also manager of East Fife; I think he won them 3 League Cups, took them to a Scottish Cup final, and 4 top four positions in the top league, which is pretty remarkable.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 08:24

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 11:09

The Brechin City Goalie (Stuart Garden, I think) used to play cricket for Forfarshire - not sure he got anywhere near international level at either sport though.

It seems like quite a few cricketers were also exceptional in other sports;

Brendon McCullum was starting number 10 for his school rugby team, picked ahead of Dan Carter. (That may be an urban legend, but there's no doubting he was an exceptional rugby player)

AB de Villiers was exceptional at a number of sports - think he was South Africa's number 1 junior tennis player (ahead of GS Finalist Kevin Anderson), plays gold off scratch and was also a bit of a rugby star - he could have played at least 4 sports professionally.

Ellyse Perry is probably the best women's cricketer in the word, and has also played international football for Australia.

Ashleigh Barty (Currently in the women's tennis top 20) took a sabbatical for a year to play cricket in the Big Bash.

I know excelling in multiple sports is nothing new, but it does seem that cricket is often one of the sports that multi sports people can excel at. Is that because it's an 'easy' sport?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 13:41

I forgot this was on so only chanced on the commentary on the last six overs. Really incredible performance. Result gives me some wind up ammunition when next in my local cricket club back in Yorkshire.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 14:25

The highlights show can be watched on My5(Channel 5 website)for anyone interested.Cracking game with loads of runs(Scotland's highest ever ODI total). The decision to reduce the World Cup to 10 needs reviewed for further tournaments. In saying that we were so unlucky with the rain in the qualifiers against West Indies or we may have made it anyway.

Topic Originator: Bandy like | nolike
Date: Mon 11 Jun 11:09

I know excelling in multiple sports is nothing new, but it does seem that cricket is often one of the sports that multi sports people can excel at. Is that because it's an 'easy' sport?

I would say the main reason is that the timing of the 'seasons' allows players to do both as cricket is mostly played when the football season isn't. I know a good few folk who excelled at both football and rugby at school for instance but as they were both played at the same time you had to make a choice early doors and were unable to play both.

Post Edited (Mon 11 Jun 14:26)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 14:27

First ever ODI century as well.

Lots said about the culling of the World cup after ireland beat england at a previous tournament but knew already there was little chance of ever playing again due to format/size changes into future events.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 14:34

It was the fastest Scotland ODI century but not the first or the highest. Callum McLeod holds the highest as well with 175-not sure who held the quickest before. It may be the first against a test playing nation but not sure about that.

ETA- it's not the first against a test playing nation as Kyle Coetzer scored one against Zimbabwe last year-not sure if there are any others.

Post Edited (Mon 11 Jun 16:37)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sligo Mick  
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 14:47

Aye Wallsy was there,his mug shot was live on tv,
A few of us Pars fans were there with him,and even today I am still buzzing.......what a result. I have seen many brilliant sporting events,but to take the scalp of England at cricket surpasses them all
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 16:26

It's funny reading some of the comments on social media from England fans trying to explain the result away - the state of the pitch, not their strongest side, the length of the boundaries, it was a friendly match etc.

You would have thought the top-ranked limited-over side in the world would have been able to beat the 13th-ranked side, regardless of the conditions and no matter what team they put out.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 20:22

They've got a cheek complaining about the pitch given a) it was the same for both teams and b) they totally doctor their pitches to suit their bowlers whenever they have a test series (usually to nullify spin from the sub-continent)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Mon 11 Jun 22:47

Quote:

kelty_par, Mon 11 Jun 20:22

They've got a cheek complaining about the pitch given a) it was the same for both teams and b) they totally doctor their pitches to suit their bowlers whenever they have a test series (usually to nullify spin from the sub-continent)

Also note how the course of the 2013 ashes changed after criticism that the lords pitch was ‘too Australian’. Next 3 were green seamers to order...
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net