DAFC.net
Home 19 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Dunfermline Town Centre
Topic Originator: Lebowski  
Date:   Sat 7 Jul 21:18

Was in Dunfermline Town centre today for the first time in a few months. I usually avoid it preferring to go elsewhere (bit of a dive, messed up the traffic system, pre paid parking)

My wife has been on maternity the last few months and raving about the library and museum. We went along this morning. Absolutely brilliant facility. The museum is great, kids library and garden is brilliant, library and reading room fab, very good cafe and fantastic views of the Abbey.

All going well, we stepped out towards the Glen where our car was parked. Abbot House still closed which is a terrible shame given the history and the fact it was renovated a few years back.

Got to the corner at the Old Inn. Stopped to look at a wedding taking place at the City Chambers alongside a few other families with children.

At this point I was reminded why I don't usually go in to town. Someone, outside Tappies having a fag shouted down to someone having a fag outside the Old Inn
"What the f@#$ are you doing here".
"Getting pished ya c#%$"
This was 1pm ish with a bunch of families with kids and tourists around.

5 mins later we are in the Glen heading towards the car. The fake festival was om which we didn't know about before. Walking under the wee bridge at the pond a bunch of guys were walking above. One of them chucked a glass bottle from the bridge, no intent, important to note, but it smashed on rocks next to the path where our buggy, wee lad walking and another mum with a toddler were walking.

On the way back to the car we thought it would be good for our 4 year old to get a spot of play in the play park. Half of it is fenced off because some idiots set fire to part of it. They recently invested a lot of money in a brilliant inclusive play area nearby. Wonder what the FM thought when she saw the fenced off area in the play park nearby.

I'm not particularly inclined to visit the town centre again any time soon. I think the demise of the town is a dreadful thing but wonder if it's a case of you get the environment you create and therefore deserve?

Apologies if this sounds like a hand wringing rant but I believe this place has so much potential but continually sells itself short. In instances like this I am given to wonder whether Dunfermline is under serviced as we residents often are given to accuse or whether perhaps we do ourselves a disservice.

Post Edited (Sat 07 Jul 22:10)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dunfermline Town Centre
Topic Originator: Hail2Crail  
Date:   Sat 7 Jul 22:04

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onlytakes  
Date:   Sat 7 Jul 22:15

The new park is a great facility. Not sure why the old one hasn't been repaired. It's only the middle unit that's damaged.

I think you were unfortunate tbh. The town centre is usually quite quiet. Fake Fest is on as is the football so it's unfortunately to be expected.

Dunfermline is headed on a better track now. Investing in museums and the arts and more businesses converting unused floors into flats to get more people living in town. The Pilmuir Works development looks like it'll be an asset to the town.

You'll always get numpties trying to ruin things. These idiots are everywhere. Last week 3 young lads took it upon themselves to strip the bark off a tree in the Calaismuir woods. Weeks before the dafties were ripping down signs put up by primary school kids asking people to care for the woods (highly recommend it for a walk with a buggy btw).

If only they could sort out the schools and stop messing about with the hospital.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Sat 7 Jul 22:15

No one should have to “ go back into your bubble”.

These cretins need to be dealt with and not with a slap on the wrist.

Unfortunately today’s society tolerates this behaviour as it has become the norm.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hummingbird Harry  
Date:   Sat 7 Jul 22:18

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Jul 22:18

Also recommend using RingGo for the parking. Means you can extend the parking without going back to the car.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars Al  
Date:   Sat 7 Jul 22:21

I asked about the play park and the council response is it's "with procurement". Sadly a lot of the ropes in the top section are also burnt. Typical council, 8 months since the fire and it's still not fixed!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sat 7 Jul 22:26

Quote:

Hail2Crail, Sat 7 Jul 22:04

Welcome to present day humanity.

Probably best to go back into your bubble.

Helpful post that, maybe sit, reflect on what you type and then revert back to your bubble before hitting the 'submit' button.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sat 7 Jul 23:02

Quote:

Hail2Crail, Sat 7 Jul 22:04

Welcome to present day humanity.

Probably best to go back into your bubble.

Sorry you feel that way. Glad you accept it as thus. No-one, least of all me is asking you to make efforts to make it better.

With a bit of luck you do live in a nice place (have been to the food festival a few times)

Otherwise, if you think that normal society should behave that way, in public, in that way, then great.

If you think I live Iive in a bubble, one where people have a decent set of standards and decency and decorum, then fair enough. I think it to be a basic.

As I say standards...

Post Edited (Sat 07 Jul 23:10)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Jul 23:12

Yeah, defo on this thanks.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sat 7 Jul 23:19

Quote:

onlytakes, Sat 7 Jul 22:18

Also recommend using RingGo for the parking. Means you can extend the parking without going back to the car.

What's wrong with getting a ticket at the start and paying for what you've used rather than having to p*** about extending your time? I'm not often in the town these days but I was there last week and parked in the multi storey. I was only going to be there for less than an hour so I stood in a queue to pay for the parking. I'm still wondering why they've decided to use a pre payment parking system from decades ago with modern technology? Again, what's wrong with a ticket and paying for what you've used? An honest question.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Jul 23:23

The multistorey is run by APCOA. I'm referring to Council car parks that use RingGo. It's the same system as in Edinburgh. I assume they don't do what you're suggesting as it'd involve sticking in barriers and having a guy on hand to deal with people who lose their ticket.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Jul 23:28

Quote:

onlytakes, Sat 7 Jul 22:15

The new park is a great facility. Not sure why the old one hasn't been repaired. It's only the middle unit that's damaged.

I think you were unfortunate tbh. The town centre is usually quite quiet. Fake Fest is on as is the football so it's unfortunately to be expected.

Dunfermline is headed on a better track now. Investing in museums and the arts and more businesses converting unused floors into flats to get more people living in town. The Pilmuir Works development looks like it'll be an asset to the town.

You'll always get numpties trying to ruin things. These idiots are everywhere. Last week 3 young lads took it upon themselves to strip the bark off a tree in the Calaismuir woods. Weeks before the dafties were ripping down signs put up by primary school kids asking people to care for the woods (highly recommend it for a walk with a buggy btw).

If only they could sort out the schools and stop messing about with the hospital.

Thanks for the tip. Buggy friendly walks are a big bonus! Cheers.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sat 7 Jul 23:30

Quote:

onlytakes, Sat 7 Jul 23:23

The multistorey is run by APCOA. I'm referring to Council car parks that use RingGo. It's the same system as in Edinburgh. I assume they don't do what you're suggesting as it'd involve sticking in barriers and having a guy on hand to deal with people who lose their ticket.

Ah, that will probably be the reason. Cut jobs, increase parking charges and kerching!!! 😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Jul 23:34

Think they were more going with it being easier (no need for change). There's the added bonus for them that the machines are used less (less wear and tear) and you can't pass your ticket to someone when you're leaving. Noticed they've moved to non-sticky tickets to stop you leaving ones with time left on the machine.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WORST  
Date:   Sun 8 Jul 11:51

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Sun 8 Jul 12:02

Quote:

WORST, Sun 8 Jul 11:51

The FM is more interested in getting folks addicted to alcohol to cut back by charging these addicts more money for their legal drug.

Bit too obvious Stevie.... Must try harder to upset others
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sierra Nevada  
Date:   Sun 8 Jul 13:19

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Sun 8 Jul 13:31

Hostel very handy for the court just over the road. A well worn path.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Jul 13:41

Quote:

Sierra Nevada, Sun 8 Jul 13:19

First thing I would do is move the hostel out of the Town centre.

Other than that,Dunfy is not bad compared to other places.

Amen to that. Why put drug addicts next to temptation and a prime source of gear to be shoplifted? Been like this for years. Even before the Kingsgate was extended there was always addicts trying to cadge 20p for their bus.

Was in Kirkcaldy a couple of weeks ago. Complete waste of money doing up the pavements there as there's noone walking on them. Mercat is an utter dive with most of the shops shut. Even up at the retail park is poor with Toys R Us away and Poundworld on the way out. Looks tatty with some new units, some done up units and some manky old units.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars Al  
Date:   Sun 8 Jul 16:19

Mothercare leaving Kirkcaldy retail park as well.

Agree with getting the hostel moved out.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Securitypar  
Date:   Sun 8 Jul 22:13

And you absolute idiots think people on the streets begging for money want to be there? Have you seen what people go back to hostels and witness... they would rather be on the streets.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 8 Jul 23:11

Could you tell us what they witness in the hostels?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Securitypar  
Date:   Sun 8 Jul 23:13

Well if you want to stay in one for a couple of nights then let me know.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Mon 9 Jul 09:58

" They recently invested a lot of money in a brilliant inclusive play area nearby. Wonder what the FM thought when she saw the fenced off area in the play park nearby"

couple of other posts as well so would like to clarify that the new park was fully funded by a local charity who raised the funds themselves (c.£200k). There is a 10 year agreement with FC regarding the maintenance of the park however the initial park design/build and council services involved in setting up the facility (a set % fee) was raised and paid by the charity. We thank the council as well as Andrew Carnegie Trust for the agreement regarding use of the land and the ongoing maintenance. Even with the feeedback here as well as our opening day and social media we can see that this is something that has made a huge positive impact to our local community as well as generate visitors from further afield to visit.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Tue 10 Jul 08:28

The new park is a fantastic addition and great work by all involved in raising a not inconsiderable sum to make it possible.

However, you do wonder how a charity needs to fund this when Falkirk can raise £43m from the council for the Helix complex from Falkirk Council, Lottery and others.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Tue 10 Jul 08:46

Aye but we got that braw piece of art ootside the bus station mind....
Ken... the one that looks like a fire escape.
😂

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Tue 10 Jul 09:57

33 steps to heaven..latest release by Iron Barrage Balloon.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Jul 10:07

"However, you do wonder how a charity needs to fund this when Falkirk can raise £43m from the council for the Helix complex from Falkirk Council, Lottery and others."

and that was the exact point made to the FM when she attended the opening.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Jul 11:09

Because Falkirk Council has one primary town whereas Fife has 3 with Dunfermline being the bottom of the pile despite being the largest.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Wed 11 Jul 09:29

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Jul 09:38

but is that not a central government controlled balance, F@lkirk (or Fife for that matter) wont have the same budget as Glasgow. Must be some form of proportioning based on land coverage/headcount so the % f@lkirk receive will be lower. How that spending is them managed at local level may well be scewed e.g F@lkirk decide to spend £1million on playparks but Fife only use £500k of what they get to do so and spend more on other things that f@lkirk don't.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Jul 10:32

Funding is all proportional but what I'm getting at is having a council with one main town means they put a lot of their resources there. Fife Council has 3 main towns to focus on and one might argue their primary focus is on the Central Fife towns.

Last year Kirkcaldy had £400,000 more spent on its parks and green spaces than Dunfermline. Apparently Dunfermline didn't need the extra investment, which is obviously why they're trying to punt "unloved" public land to the Alhambra...

The Dunfermline council offices have either been shut or turned into a glorified contact centre. Dunfermline Planning decisions being made from a desk in Glenrothes by people who don't live anywhere near the area or understand the impact of the decision.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net