DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Infinite Monkey Cage
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Thu 19 Jul 16:59

Anyone watched it?

Felt like a breath o' fresh air to me.

One of many highlights being Eric Idle's song about the Higgs Boson particle.

I wanted to hot-link it here but seems it's not available in UK.

I'm gonna start watching back-episodes.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Infinite Monkey Cage
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 19 Jul 17:33

Not watched it but just noticed it's currently on the BBC red button.

Post Edited (Thu 19 Jul 17:34)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 19 Jul 17:42

That's it Parathletic. A mixture of scientists and comedians who are interested in developments in Biology, Physics, Cosmology etc., basically being informative, upbeat and funny at the same time.
I saw it was on red button and ignored it for a few days then tried it. Been going for years on radio apparently, first I've heard of it.

Post Edited (Thu 19 Jul 19:07)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Thu 19 Jul 18:21

Podcasts of it are available going back years. Have been listening to them for ages.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 19 Jul 19:06

Oo lovely - I've just had a look at the Podcast list. Thanks for letting me know Parfor.

You got any special interests among them?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Thu 19 Jul 20:56

Think there's a couple with Brian Blessed and Eric Idle which were funny. Also one where they debated if a strawberry is alive or not.... but there are so many topics and guests it's hard to choose...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 19 Jul 21:34

I see there's one called 'Are We Living In A Simulation?' a subject that raises my hackles a wee bit - seems a bit insulting. I've not watched it yet, but I had been thinking about it after the thread about Code. I was talking to somebody about this simulation idea and we agreed that, although things on a molecular level are astounding, we don't live at the molecular scale. I think that's important: we live at a particular scale.

Got any thoughts on it Parfor?

ARE WE LIVING IN A SIMULATION?

https://youtu.be/9oOSSCkszUk?t=59

Post Edited (Thu 19 Jul 21:44)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 19 Jul 22:44

I've just listened to ARE WE LIVING IN A SIMULATION? from the Infinite Monkey Cage series.

It's a bit dull, I don't recommend it unless you're interested in this particular subject. It features a good Dietmar Hamann soundalike, but the episode currently on the TV red button is much funnier.

Regarding the above question, I don't find it so troubling. I think by simulation they mean a fake reality.

I'm happy to answer no. I think to reproduce reality, it would be necessary to replicate what exists atom for atom, quark for quark etc. We call such things inanimate stuff but at their own scale they're all whizzing about energetically aren't they, with a kind of living quality? Is anything really inert? I think it's the particular combinations and arrangements of them that make us who we are and produce what we know as reality, including our consciousness.

It seems to me the nature of the particles and arrangement of them results in something of a different order of being, a different quality altogether, far greater than the sum of the parts. Multiply the effect by zillions upon zillions and that's how I think of reality.

"Yer bum's oot the windae!"

Post Edited (Fri 20 Jul 09:48)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net