DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Tommy Robinson
Topic Originator: Nippy Sweetie  
Date:   Wed 1 Aug 13:16

Freed on bail. Had not paid to much attention to the original case. Appeal opened my eyes. Arrested, in court and jailed within 5 hours.Having had a few run ins with the law in my younger days ( well over 20yrs ago). The court system was always slow and time enough to get sorted. Seems establishment jumped the gun. Divisive guy. But entitled same rights as everybody else.

philltwo..
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Tommy Robinson
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 1 Aug 13:56

I'd give him a right.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Wed 1 Aug 16:49

"Seems establishment jumped the gun" Mr Yaxley-Lennon (not quite the John smith guy off the streets he makes out) was already on a breach of court order. Pretty much a breach of bail and as such able to be fast-tracked. Whilst "freed" he has to actually stand a re-trial.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Wed 1 Aug 17:35

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Wed 1 Aug 19:35

If "absolute c**tery" was a crime then Yaxley-Lennon would be serving multiple life sentences.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 1 Aug 20:01

Actually RM he did have legal representation at his first trial. It does look as though there were some procedural errors so on the face of it, it does look fair that he has a retrial.

Very detailed article here on the legal technicalities:

https://thesecretbarrister.com/2018/08/01/the-tommy-robinson-judgment-what-does-it-all-mean/

The MSM weren't reporting the trial as there was a media embargo on at the time.

As soon as these trials are finished you can put your mortgage on there being coverage all over the place.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Aug 20:26

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Aug 21:59

He did have a barrister the 2nd time round. It was the barrister that provided the quotes confirming that he'd pled guilty, it wasn't his regular barrister though. Part of his release was based on the barrister representing him not having enough time get character references and have enough time to investigate mitigating circumstances.

The no barrister stuff was his supporters talking keech back when it happened.

In terms of the reporting restrictions I think some might extend to outlets and individuals with press accreditation but I think the main ones where there is an embargo extend to anyone trying to address the public at large. Conducting a live Facebook stream outside the court has a real chance of falling foul of those restrictions. Allegedly (Not sure if this is true) he'd also referred to the guilt of the defendants in one of the trials where the other linked trials were still on. That was why there were no other reporters there that day as they couldn't report on the outcome of the first trial.

This is lengthy but gives an overview on the restrictions:

https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/reporting-restrictions-guide-may-2016-2.pdf

He'd been told to stop filming and continued to do it. By discussing the guilt or innocence of the defendants and reporting he might well have been guilty of contempt of court. He pleaded guilty first time round.

Procedurally though it appears that the crown jumped the gun on a few things and didn't follow the correct process so he's been awarded a retrial. There seems to have been confusion around the type of contempt (as you can see from the links there are different types) of court he was being charged with and subsequently pleaded guilty too. It all looks a bit sloppy and as much as I don't like him, it does look like a retrial would be merited.

He's not been found not guilty so it will be interesting to see the outcome of the new trial.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Wed 1 Aug 22:09

Just saw an article that said it was a Matthew Harding that defended him in Leeds.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Aug 22:41

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Aug 22:55

Strange one from the BBC!

"Robinson was defended by an experienced barrister, Matthew Harding, who confirmed to the court that his client was aware of the reporting restriction but believed he was not violating it because the information he used was in the public domain."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/tommy-robinson-prison-jailed-why-contempt-court-grooming-gangs-muslim-protest-a8472566.html

"The judges said they were satisfied that the decision at Leeds to proceed to committal to prison “so promptly”, and without “due regard” to rules governing procedures surrounding someone alleged to have acted in contempt of court “gave rise to unfairness”.
They added that the haste in bringing him to court back in May meant his barrister, found during a 33 minute adjournment, had “limited opportunity… to investigate mitigation” or obtain character references."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/01/former-edl-leader-tommy-robinson-freed-judges-quash-contempt/

Both articles refer to his defence in Leeds and the judge is quoted as referring to the lack of time his defence had as part of the reason for ordering the retrial.

The five hour turnaround definitely seems to have been a factor in the decision to order the retrial and that along with the confusion around the area of contempt of court he was alleged to have breached do appear to merit a retrial even though I'm no judge!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 1 Aug 22:58

Robinson will be a millionaire before the year is out. What a bunch of ignorant mugs his supporters are.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Thu 2 Aug 11:38

Yaxley Lennon now up for trying to enter USA under false documents/another one of his made up name

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 Aug 17:33

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hummingbird Harry  
Date:   Thu 2 Aug 17:34

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: richie5401  
Date:   Fri 3 Aug 12:10

The initial arrest was for breach of the peace.Standing around on a public highway reading a BBC article about the case constitutes that?

Edging every more slowly to a police state.This case whether you like or loathe the guy should worry all of us.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Aug 15:02

He wasn't reading it to himself though. He was streaming it online. It's almost as if he was maybe wanting the case to collapse....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Aug 15:14

and that constitutes breach of the peace?If he was inciting violence with his words then by all means take him away,this was not the case.Criticism shouldn't be censored.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Aug 16:17

The links above explain what happened.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Aug 16:53

Yep.He was arrested for talking on a public highway which the authorities deemed breach of the peace.

As i said a worrying precedent,something all civil libertarians should be outraged at.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Aug 18:20

No that wasn't why he was arrested.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Fri 3 Aug 18:21

The man is a f**king egotist and hate stirrer.

He put his so called 'moving ' reunion ' with kids online declaring he was off on holiday to Tenerife, no phone, no statements ....etc"

Today he writes... "I've got a live interview with FoxNews"

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Aug 18:29

So having an ego,going on holiday and appearing on Fox news makes a man public enemy number one?

Cue a lot more arrests.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Fri 3 Aug 18:48

Quote:

richie5401, Fri 3 Aug 18:29

So having an ego,going on holiday and appearing on Fox news makes a man public enemy number one?

Cue a lot more arrests.

Done 2 out of the 3 Richie, didn't make Fox News but was live on Sky News back in 2003, the whole shebang van n camera crew outside/inside my flat in cowdengelly.
For my troubles am still the same unassuming winker today :)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Aug 18:49

Lol.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Nippy Sweetie  
Date:   Sat 4 Aug 14:01

Contempt of court is not a criminal offense. Re AAPs their are hate stirrers in far more positions of power than Tommy Robinson. He can be ignored, just blank twitter, facebook and enjoy life.

philltwo..
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sat 4 Aug 14:51

I was interviewed for Vatican Radio in 2000. Does that count?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 Aug 17:56

Contempt of court is a criminal offence.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 4 Aug 20:46

Worst case scenario - contempt carries a maximum two year sentence.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 Aug 23:44

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: petrie_pants  
Date:   Sat 4 Aug 23:58

At the point of confrontation there has obviously been no arrest made so no trial to prejudice.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 08:44

Quote:

renegade master, Sat 4 Aug 23:44

show me the law where media blackout covers individuals?
Where do we stop when we have pedo hunters exposing the dirty scum live on Facebook and preducing trials?

It covers "publications" and that has been defined to cover almost all communications aimed at the public at large. Running a live stream where in theory anyone on the planet could tune in and there were actually thousands of people watching very likely meets the criminal standard for contempt of court.

With the change in technology these days you don't need press accreditation or a newspaper/tv channel to have a "publication".
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 10:56

Quote:

richie5401, Fri 3 Aug 16:53

Yep.He was arrested for talking on a public highway which the authorities deemed breach of the peace.

As i said a worrying precedent,something all civil libertarians should be outraged at.

You don't care about civil liberties until it effects a right wing racist like yourself.
What about the civil liberties of black lives matter and the NFL players kneeling during the national anthem.
Where is your support for their rights?
It's not resistant, infact you are against them having the right to protest.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 11:47

"I was interviewed for Vatican Radio in 2000. Does that count?"

Only if it was in Latin !!!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 12:45

SIF-I'm for any non violent protest.Black lives matter chanting "Pigs in a blanket,fry em like bacon" really doesn't further it's cause.As for the NFL kneeling saga,the guy who started it goes around wearing a t shirt depicting Castro,a communist dictator,all while reaping the benefits of capitalist country.That's what really annoyed people not his right to protest.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 13:12

So do you concede that Robinson, acting in a manner that may have resulted in a child abuse case collapsing, also doesn't do his cause any good?
Unless of course he was to use that collapsed case as further proof that the law fails to prosecute muslims even though it would have been his actions that caused such a situation.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 13:19

"Acting in a manner" you mean talking on a public road.This isn't about Robinson.

It's about eliminating dissent.It's quite telling in a case like this LIBERTY are nowhere present.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 14:07

You can keep saying that is what he was doing all you want but that wasn't all he was doing.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 14:11

It was when he was arrested.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 14:14

He wasn't arrested for talking on the street.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 14:17

We can go back and forward on this all all day.We both know he was silenced for holding a view contrary to the establishment.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 14:23

No he wasn't.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 14:40

If only he identified as labour leaning.He would get the same love as Hitchens.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 14:44

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sun 5 Aug 11:47

"I was interviewed for Vatican Radio in 2000. Does that count?"

Only if it was in Latin !!!

Could have back in the day but not by then. Stumbling into a debate on the death penalty on Vatican Radio while my wife to be was at the loo was an unexpected holiday surprise!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 23:28

Quote:

richie5401, Sun 5 Aug 14:17

We can go back and forward on this all all day.We both know he was silenced for holding a view contrary to the establishment.

The establishment are currently attempting to prosecute a significant number of men they suspect of commiting crimes. A key component of that is ensuring they get a fair trial so if they are found guilty they don't get off on a technicality (ironically what has just happened to Robinson).
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 23:48

Keeping the public/press in the dark isn't a "Key component".The key component is evidence.Something that everyone should be allowed to hear.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Aug 00:24

The public and press weren't in the dark
The public could go and watch the hearing and the press knew exactly what was going on but couldn't report it to the wider public because there was a media embargo in place. As soon as the trials are complete the column inches on these stories will be huge. Even the papers whose editorial lines are gagging to report on these cases have the understanding as to why they can't report anything outside of the basics at the moment.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsclub  
Date:   Mon 6 Aug 10:14

The establishment whoever they are were trying to get a fair trial.
The laws were made in the 1900s long before Twitter/Facebook etc and the establishment are trying to put those responsible for this crime to prison.
Tommy “thick as mince” Robinson took it upon himself to go against the orders of the judge to pedal his racism and put a trial in jeopardy.
Any defence team would jump on it and he was rightly jailed for contempt.
If this was a rape trial involving white victims and suspects would tommy be outside shouting. I think not.
There are public galleries for people/reporters to view but all those people respected the courts orders.

And do we think Tommy’s supporters have ever worked a day in their lives?

Total dregs of life and Hippocrates.

HF05
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Mon 6 Aug 10:40

Total dregs of life and Hippocrates. Surprised a Greek physician would be a Tommy Robinson supporter.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsclub  
Date:   Mon 6 Aug 11:21

The old spell check strikes again.
Wonder what he would make of Tommy

HF05
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Aug 12:15

"Pedal his racism" I guess Hitchens should be categorised as such as well,strange how he never was.His criticism of Islam was equally vehement but was praised as an intellectual on the subject.

Voting labour does get you certain privilege with the press.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Tue 7 Aug 11:12

Quote:

richie5401, Mon 6 Aug 12:15

"Pedal his racism" I guess Hitchens should be categorised as such as well,strange how he never was.His criticism of Islam was equally vehement but was praised as an intellectual on the subject.

Voting labour does get you certain privilege with the press.

That same press that call Labour anti semite with very little to work with?
Aye ok.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Aug 12:07

Some were calling out Corbyn(with not much evidence).Has nothing to do with the double standard on Islam.

Some get a pass,some don't.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net