DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Genoa bridge tragedy
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Tue 14 Aug 13:10

This looks awful.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/genoa-bridge-collapse-italy-motorway-a10-toll-victims-a8490941.html
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Genoa bridge tragedy
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Tue 14 Aug 16:20

Shocking news

Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Tue 14 Aug 21:34

Crazy. We were in Genoa only a few years back and while we didn't cross that particular bridge, the city and surrounding areas have mountains and rivers and the autostrade meander through tunnels and over bridges between the French border and down to La Spezia. I've driven on several similar bridges in the Naples area and never even thought that anything like this would be possible and that's in an area where there are rumours of mafia intervention and cheaper materials used. Nothing like that in the North yet the way it went down was scary. Hopefully the death toll doesn't rise any further.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Tue 14 Aug 22:14

Aye, the reason it resonated more with me was that I have just come back from 3 weeks training around France and Italy. While the scenery was stunning, the view of roads hanging off the side of mountains and wondering what the train track was on did turn my stomach a couple of times.

It looks like the brave rescue workers are continuing to try and find any more survivors. Testing conditions given the size of the structure.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 14 Aug 22:50

Really sad. The only small crumb is that it could easily have been more vehicles involved.
Maintenance teams had been working on that pillar recently so I hope this is a result of a freak set of circumstances as opposed to any negligence?

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Wed 15 Aug 08:26

I'm sure it will be negligence, but years of finger-pointing will follow.
It already has echoes of Grenfell, with stories emerging of people reporting safety issues with the bridge long before yesterday.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Thu 16 Aug 18:17

The bridge was 50 years old the same as the FRB, we have stopped using the FRB due to safety fears and built a new bridge. Maybe the Italian government should have done the same as the Scottish one.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 16 Aug 18:29

Sorry to be pedantic....
The old road bridge is still very much in use... Just not to the same extent.

Admin
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Thu 16 Aug 18:36

Pedant understood, but my point remains the same.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Thu 16 Aug 19:28

The Forth Bridge is also not a pre stressed concrete bridge that has concrete road deck supports that was seen as dated almost as soon as the designed retired.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 20 Aug 08:36

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/genoa-bridge-collapse-safety-issues-italy-government-five-star-movement-league-populists-a8492201.html

Gutting to read the authorities were aware of the issues facing the bridge and this tragedy was completely avoidable as well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 20 Aug 13:41

"we have stopped using the FRB due to safety fears"

It's still in use for buses etc.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net