DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Dark Dunfermline
Topic Originator: Ghoulz  
Date:   Sun 23 Sep 12:55

Thinking of compiling a collection of local ‘dark’ stories ... should be based on at least some degree of factual basis (from verbal to verifiable evidence).

Witch trials / macabre punishments / ghosts / horror / the strange / the weird etc. Could be personal recent experience, could be folklore.

When I’ve seen similar Scottish collections there’s never anything from Fife, less so Dunfermline. I can’t believe such an ancient place doesn’t have some intriguing spooky stories to entertain and educate. Fed up with Dunfermline being overlooked and might consider restoring our place in the dark side.

Can you recall any source material to which I could refer? Publications I could seek? Have you a story to tell?

Dare you share?

Might come to nothing, or ... who knows? Will depend strongly on what I find.

Please private email me ghoulz@kinemagigz.com

Thanks folks.

Your friendly neighbourhood Ghoulz.

The Whole Story of The Famous Kinema Ballroom
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dark Dunfermline
Topic Originator: petrie_pants  
Date:   Sun 23 Sep 13:52

I know of one tale of a 'witch' in Toryburn who was taken out to the sea near to where the park is now and had a large, door sized concrete block put on top of her. When the tide was out. Seemingly it's still there. There's a guy called Leonard Low, based in Lundin Links, who has written books about Fife witches and dark stories. Think most of them are East of Fife related though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sun 23 Sep 14:34

Torryburn Bay was one of the top spots in Scotland for drowning witches.
There's even a witches rock ( where they supposedly attached them to... The incoming tide did the rest)
Lots of info online about the whole thing.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Sep 15:07

Thanks folks, that’s just the kind of thing I’m after.

Seem to remember a tale of a lady (maybe Mrs.Henderson?) who ‘died’, was buried in the Abbey cemetery (if memory serves) then awoke, arose and walked home a bit pissed off. She produced another couple of kids before dying ‘again’.

Keep them coming.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: average white par  
Date:   Sun 23 Sep 15:15

I worked with Lenny Low for a while... great guy and his books are very interesting indeed... good reference guide for local stuff

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Athletico  
Date:   Sun 23 Sep 15:24

Not so much "dark" but interesting piece of history I learned about a few months ago was the Skirmish of Dunfermline. It was the first raid carried out by the Duke of Argyll against Jacobite forces.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Sep 15:36

°http://www.welcometofife.com/highlight/fife-five-most-haunted
There's also allegedly a grey lady who haunts Aberdour Castle.
Come to think of it... There's supposedly a grey lady walks the back road that goes from from Oakley to the A985.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Sep 15:48

Not forgetting the ghost/ghosts (I've no idea) that supposedly was so troublesome that they got paranormal investigators in to check it out at the old NODDYS NEUK site at Touch.
I say NODDYS NEUK as I've no idea what it's called these days.
There was also a ghost that haunted CLEOS in Rosyth. I'm quite skeptical about something I can't see (until I see it) but I knew the guy who was running Cleos at the time he told me. Most of the bar staff had also seen it at the time.
Also a ghost at another pub between Oakley and Comrie (used to be called the Phoenix Inn or something like that when a family friend ran it)... No idea what it's called these days or even if its still a pub.
Seems that there are a lot of ghosties at pubs... Allegedly I may add 😂

Admin
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Hummingbird Harry  
Date:   Sun 23 Sep 16:08

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Sun 23 Sep 16:29

Pitfirrane golf club has the grey lady ghost. Walks down from the dining room to the bar vestibule. Also gets really cold when it happens. Haven't seen it myself but it did get unexpectedly cold a couple of summer nights when I worked there. Also the pet cemetery round the side of the keavil house hotel. Was well scary before it was made into the hotel along with the haunty in the woods beside.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Sep 17:11

Carnegie Hall is good for this... many moons ago I was in a theatre group who performed there regularly and heard many a spooky tale from the resident janny, Bobby Nicholson... don't think Bobby's around any more (this was 35 years ago) but there may still be someone around the theatre who can enlighten you...

A lot of theatres have this particular aura actually... actors in general tend to be quite superstitious types ...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 23 Sep 18:01

"Not so much "dark" but interesting piece of history I learned about a few months ago was the Skirmish of Dunfermline. It was the first raid carried out by the Duke of Argyll against Jacobite forces."

During the 1715 rebellion Argyll made a pact with "Bobbing John" 6th Earl of Mar who commanded the Jacobite forces.

Argyll would not damage Mar's estates in Alloa (laid out by Le Notre who designed Versailles landscapes) in return for his lands around Inverary to be similarly left untouched.

Post Edited (Sun 23 Sep 18:38)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sun 23 Sep 19:44

Culross is meant to be well haunted.

Where I lived at bottom of Inverkeithing was called Witchknowe Terrace so must be some reason as to why - I have no idea sadly but would be interested.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Sep 20:03

P, there was a recent article on The Scotsman website about witches in Inverkeithing (and their sad demise)

Can't do the linky thing, but if you Google "Inverkeithing Witches" you should be able to find it mate

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Sun 23 Sep 21:16

http://www.thefifepost.com/history/witches

1640.—HANGMAN AND WITCH-BURNER.—The person who held this “official situation” in Dunfermline at this period, and for long after it, was the “notorious Pat Mayne.” Many worthy persons were “manipulated” by him.

The hunt of 1649–50 is one of five major witch-hunts in early modern Scotland, the others being in 1590–91, 1597, 1628–31 and 1661–62.[8] There is one surviving and dated accusation for February 1649, a brewer in Dunfermine who successfully defended himself against a charge of using magic, perhaps to enhance his beer. There were two cases for March, three for April, 15 for May and by June the hunt was in full swing,[9] continuing into mid-1650 when it began to subside.[10] Like most of the major series of hunts in Scotland, it was largely confined to the Lowlands,[11] where the Kirk had most control.[12] It began in Lothian and spread to Fife and then throughout the Lowlands.[13] The hunt probably began at Inverkeithing where the minister Walter Bruce demonstrated an interest in witch hunting, being suspended for preaching at the execution of a witch in March 1649. This interest seems to have spread to neighbouring parishes.[14] In addition to Inverkeithing there were major trials at Aberdour, Burntisland, Dysart and Dunfermline.[15] The hunt spilled over into northern England, where a cluster of trials took place in the towns of Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Berwick-upon-Tweed as well as in the surrounding villages in Northumberland, in which Scottish witch hunters were involved.[

https://sistersofthebruce.wordpress.com/2017/02/24/a-battle-a-curse-and-a-ghost-or-two-what-more-could-you-ask-for/

Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sun 23 Sep 21:29

Worth having a look at "The Annals of Dunfermline", plenty of good info in there
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sun 23 Sep 22:01

Quote:

average white par, Sun 23 Sep 20:03

P, there was a recent article on The Scotsman website about witches in Inverkeithing (and their sad demise)

Can't do the linky thing, but if you Google "Inverkeithing Witches" you should be able to find it mate

Brilliant - thanks AVP

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/how-a-small-fife-town-became-a-hotbed-of-witch-finding-and-punishing-1-4781993

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sun 23 Sep 22:41

What a time to be alive eh? Especially if you were a woman. Ironic too that it's the church and religion that was at the heart of this evil.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Mon 24 Sep 14:56

Seems like you could have a book called Dark Inverkeithing on it's own. I've heard many a tale about haunted places in Inverkeithing, maybe due to it's dark history.
Indeed some people even say it's a scary place to go even now!

Post Edited (Mon 24 Sep 14:57)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jbob  
Date:   Mon 24 Sep 19:29

Once upon a time a group of sports fans from Dunfermline visited a remote island in the north Atlantic Ocean. Cant recall the rest ;-)

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: petrie_pants  
Date:   Mon 24 Sep 22:38

Quote:

allparone, Sun 23 Sep 22:41

What a time to be alive eh? Especially if you were a woman. Ironic too that it's the church and religion that was at the heart of this evil.

The Church was a despicable establishment in those days. Would hunt innocent people down, have them tortured to confession, take their property, land and possessions and then charge the poor sole's family for having done so.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Mon 24 Sep 23:47

Quote:

petrie_pants, Mon 24 Sep 22:38

Quote:

allparone, Sun 23 Sep 22:41

The Church was a despicable establishment in those days. Would hunt innocent people down, have them tortured to confession, take their property, land and possessions and then charge the poor sole's family for having done so.

"In those days" it's still going on now.
Since the end of WW2 more people have been executed as witches than at any other period in history. Even more than at the height of the witch trials in Europe and America.
Nigeria and Papua New Guinea being particular hotspots for the practice. Thanks religion.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: polski par  
Date:   Tue 25 Sep 11:05

witche's dub was situated at the foot of townhill road where they were dunked into a pool or bog that was there at the time.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 13:19

Very much appreciate all your contributions folks.

Much obliged.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 10 Oct 02:16

Quote:

average white par, Sun 23 Sep 17:11

Carnegie Hall is good for this... many moons ago I was in a theatre group who performed there regularly and heard many a spooky tale from the resident janny, Bobby Nicholson... don't think Bobby's around any more (this was 35 years ago) but there may still be must someone around the theatre who can enlighten you...

A lot of theatres have this particular aura actually... actors in general tend to be quite superstitious types ...

Bobby was nivver the janny.He was much more than a janny. He did a heck of a lot of front of house work and became the assistant manager shortly after then. Should have been the manager. Absolutely dedicated to his work.
I eorked with him for 6 months in 81,82 prior to moving to carnegie when it reopened. Jings I could tell you some stories. Hes retired now and you will find him holding a large lollipop stick on the main road Crossford on schooldays.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net