DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Electric vehicles
Topic Originator: KirklistonPar  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 06:54

Hi, I have decided to buy a Nissan Leaf and was interested to hear anyone’s experience of driving/owing an electric vehicle, charging them.any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. It’s gonna be a weird new experience but, I’m excited and looking forward to it. Along with a wee bit of range anxiety!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Electric vehicles
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 07:56

I cheated as I opted for the Toyota CH-R much the same features as the Leaf but I felt more comfortable knowing I can drive without having to wait for charging the battery. 10 year guarantee on the hybrid battery but I pray to God it lasts at least 20 years as they are expensive to replace. Think approximately £2000

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 07:59

Also thinking of a leaf. Get onto the speakev forum. Lots of knowledgeable people over there.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 10:11

Quote:

KirklistonPar, Sat 6 Oct 06:54

Hi, I have decided to buy a Nissan Leaf and was interested to hear anyone’s experience of driving/owing an electric vehicle, charging them.any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. It’s gonna be a weird new experience but, I’m excited and looking forward to it. Along with a wee bit of range anxiety!

Are you thinking of the new 40 kWh model? If so, read up about 'rapidgate'. It's a bit off putting. Apparently on longer drives rapid charging is tapered back after the first rapid charge in a journey. Means going long distances is easier in the older 30 kWh model despite the smaller battery which doesn't have this issue.

Speak EV users reckon on a real world mileage of about 140 for the new 40 kWh model. Less for the older 30 and 24 kWh models.

Not too much of an issue for me where 99% of my driving is a 40 mile round trip commute.

New 40 kWh models are still hard to buy. Only 50 or so UK wide on autotrader....and they are expensive!

Look into the energy trust 6 year interest free loan if you buy a new one or a demo. And you can get grants for a free home charge unit.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 10:39

The leaf sounds great. What I wonder about is charging of you don't have a drive to park your car. What if it's on the road or in a communal car park?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sammy_Must_Die  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 17:39

I have a 40kwh Leaf and it's great. Knew I would not regularly be making long journeys so the range is perfect. Email me if you have any specific questions and if he happy to help!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Oct 05:32

Thanks for the replies.
The model I’m getting is the 24kw Tekna with the 3.3wk charging speed. I’d rather of got the 6.6kw as it charges faster but a suppose most of the time I will be charging when it’s sat in the driveway, so It really doesn’t matter. The wife’s commute is a 10 mile round trip & normally at the weekend we wouldn’t do anymore than 60-70 miles.
For driving holidays I’m thinking of just hiring a more suitable vehicle as that would give me more piece of mind.
Must admit I’m looking forward to saving money by avoiding the petrol stations.
I will check out the Speak EV forum.
Thanks lads.

Ps I also found a YouTube channel called ‘electric vehicle man’ with some good info for anyone else that maybe thinking a ev might be suitable.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Oct 13:06

Thanks SMD have you signed up to ‘charge places Scotland’ ? seems to be good deal, only £20 a year for the use of charge points.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Sun 7 Oct 15:02

I bought a plug-in hybrid, worth a thought if you have range anxiety :) I've had 76mpg over the the last 3,000 miles, though probably spent around £60 in electricity in that time. Think it works out at around 10p a mile in combined electricity and petrol costs. The economy will vary drastically depending on your travel patterns. But I can go three weeks without burning petrol. I can typically get 100mpg on a 34 mile round trip commute with a mixture of jams and open road, though have managed 150mpg on occasion! But even with no battery and driving 40 miles at fast pace, I can get over 40mpg as you get a little bit charge when you brake and lift off the accelerator.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sammy_Must_Die  
Date:   Sun 7 Oct 21:23

Absolutely...very worth it and if you're on Facebook sign up for some of the Leaf users groups. Living in Scotland much easier than using the charging infrastructure in England!

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net