DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Craig Mackey
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Mon 8 Oct 22:20

Stayed in his car while his colleague was being murdered by a guy with a knife and subsequently receives knighthood.

Glad he's not trusted with watching my back.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Craig Mackey
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 8 Oct 22:31

He got a bit braver once the cops had shot the attacker though- "Asked what his reaction was following the gunshots, Sir Craig said: "First and foremost I was a police officer so I went to open the door to get out.". Pity he didn't have that attitude earlier
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 8 Oct 22:37

Wish I could be so certain of how I'd react in the face of unexpected life threatening danger.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: richie5401  
Date:   Mon 8 Oct 23:12

^^ exactly what i was thinking.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Athletico  
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 00:01

Posted from the Android app Topic Originator: red-star-par like | nolike
Date: Mon 8 Oct 22:31

He got a bit braver once the cops had shot the attacker though- "Asked what his reaction was following the gunshots, Sir Craig said: "First and foremost I was a police officer so I went to open the door to get out.". Pity he didn't have that attitude earlier

So he could what? Get stabbed to death as well?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 09:39

He was in shirt sleeve order and had no appropriate protective dress or personal equipment - getting out of the car would have made him another potential target.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Aylesbury_Par  
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 16:10

veteraneastender wrote:

> He was in shirt sleeve order and had no appropriate protective
> dress or personal equipment - getting out of the car would have
> made him another potential target.

Aye best to leave the body armoured pedestrian members of the public to sort themselves out!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DRFC_no1  
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 16:53

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Aylesbury_Par  
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 18:54

If only police training could have envisioned the possibility of ever having to deal with someone with a knife!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 19:17

I believe the training would involve the use of a baton or truncheon type weapon. It's only in Hollywood that the police officer uses some martial arts moves to disarm and beat up an attacker.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Athletico  
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 20:19

The guy is also a desk jockey. Probably not actually done any Policing for years.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 20:25

"The guy is also a desk jockey. Probably not actually done any Policing for years."

Correct.

"Aye best to leave the body armoured pedestrian members of the public to sort themselves out!"

Or maybe leave it to the trained, equiped and armed police officers on duty, specifically there for that reason ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 21:43

Hang on....
I just watched a programme which stated that in England and Wales it is an offence not to help a officer of the law... If it is deemed that the officer in question is in need of assistance.
Just thought I'd drop that into the debate.. Ive no idea if it's relevant in this scenario or not but it's something I never knew..
Anyhoo... Carry on 🤔

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 23:58

Quote:

widtink, Tue 9 Oct 21:43

Hang on....
I just watched a programme which stated that in England and Wales it is an offence not to help a officer of the law... If it is deemed that the officer in question is in need of assistance.
Just thought I'd drop that into the debate.. Ive no idea if it's relevant in this scenario or not but it's something I never knew..
Anyhoo... Carry on 🤔

I wasn't aware of that. I wonder if there is a similar law up here. I remember years back in the Kingsgate a copper rugby tackled a lad to the ground who had been shoplifting and then realised he had made a mess of it. He shouted to me to help him and I never bothered. The kid was able to make a getaway. Would have probably helped if it had been something serious but not for someone lifting a CD
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: penapar  
Date:   Wed 10 Oct 10:16

Widtink

I am pretty sure that the former woman police officer said "that it was an offence when you were asked to assist" and did not do so.

penapar
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Sat 13 Oct 07:48

'Refusing to assist a constable is an offence under the common law of England and Wales. The offence is committed if a person refuses, without lawful excuse, to assist a constable who sees a breach of the peace committed or who is assaulted or obstructed when making an arrest, and who, where there is reasonable necessity to do so, calls upon that person to assist him.As a common law offence, it is punishable with an unlimited fine and imprisonment, although it is very rarely prosecuted.'
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sun 14 Oct 00:13

There is little future in defending Craig Mackey since he has long since abandoned any pretence of justifying his own behaviour on 22d March, 2107 at Westminster. Once he realised the game was up, and that there was CCTV evidence (only available to the jury, not for the plebs as the police often like to do) he announced his early retirement in July 2018. He was well forewarned that the inquiry would clearly expose his weakness on the day and make his position untenable, so rather than be subject to disciplinary action for sheer bloody funk, he resigned.

Mackey was a country bumpkin, his policing honed in the hotspots of Cumbria and Wiltshire. He must have been in a good Masonic lodge. On that day in Westminster he was useless. That drearily familiar, self-serving language was employed. ‘I was in short sleeves.’ As if a long sleeved shirt would have seen him burst from the car. The civilians with him in the car, never identified, were ‘traumatised.’ Really? After 80 seconds? Trauma is something that might emerge over a period of time, something war veterans are prone to, He employed high blown, self-justifying language the better to obscure his own inadequacy.

Maybe he could have saved nobody. That we all understand. But a loud blare on the car horn to warn an unguarded PC? An attempt to drive the car as an obstacle to the attack? Even to get out and shout and act as a diversion, to in some way make the attack less easy for the perpetrator? These are not too much to ask of a member of the public, far less a knighted policeman. He was useless

He retires on a full pension of course, on more than the average worker in the UK receives as a yearly wage. We are rewarding ineptitude, an ineptitude which has been so embarrassing to the UK establishment that they found it necessary, on the same day, to announce bravery awards (well deserved for sure) for the three policeman (one off duty) who acted like real policemen on June 3rd 2017 when there was a terrorist attack on London Bridge. The media have been encouraged to conflate the two attacks in order to excuse the security failings at Westminster (highlighted by PC Palmer’s widow) and the cowardice of Mackey. They were two distinct events which revealed the worst and the best of our police force.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 Oct 00:36

Like you said he was a country bumpkin. Quite possibly he was terrified and when the moment for action arrived he froze and bottled it. Hopefully my mettle will never be tested like so I'm hesitant to condemn him.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net