DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Adverts
Topic Originator: sintv  
Date:   Sun 10 Feb 21:14

There is on now a 3hr programme about chocolate adverts. I often thought that the next great channel would be The Advert Channel. So we now have adverts every 15 mins in middle of a programme about adverts. Jeez makes gogglebox seem interesting.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Adverts
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 08:14

The only adverts I notice these days are the ones that I have to watch out for when whizzing through the breaks on sky plus. Normally volvo

I tape everything these days, even when I'm watching something 'live', il pause for ten mins, make a cuppa and then sul quiz through the adverts.
They should really make a x12 advert for the entire break!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 08:51

Advertisers used to make TV adverts that were heavily weighted toward sound so people could hear them when they were away making tea. They are now more visual so that they are still noticed when being fast forwarded. Adverts like the Volvo one and other show sponsors were designed specifically because of fast forwarding. People think they are now seeing less adverts because of recordings whereas it's the exact opposite that's the case. You are now being targetted more and taking in a lot more than you ever did. Even though you are fast forwarding you're completely glued to the screen. You'd be amazed at what you're actually taking in. Clever people these advertisers.

Post Edited (Mon 11 Feb 08:55)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 09:15

Eh ? When I fast forward an advert, I take none of it in.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 09:24

Quote:

allparone, Mon 11 Feb 08:51

Advertisers used to make TV adverts that were heavily weighted toward sound so people could hear them when they were away making tea. They are now more visual so that they are still noticed when being fast forwarded. Adverts like the Volvo one and other show sponsors were designed specifically because of fast forwarding. People think they are now seeing less adverts because of recordings whereas it's the exact opposite that's the case. You are now being targetted more and taking in a lot more than you ever did. Even though you are fast forwarding you're completely glued to the screen. You'd be amazed at what you're actually taking in. Clever people these advertisers.

I can watch a whole advert in one break. Then the same advert will turn up in the next break and I will have no idea what it's about until it finishes. This just shows I take in none of it. It usually takes me about 9 or 10 times seeing the same advert to remember. By then I hate the advert.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 09:34

Quote:

MikeyLeonard, Mon 11 Feb 09:15

Yes you do. You may not think you are but you are. It's not something we're always conscious of.

The proof is above. Volvo was mentioned. They've done their job at that point. You will probably see these ads a dozen times during an hour long show. At the start of the ad break and when you sometimes whizz past it then you rewind it and see the logo again then you stop and play it and see it again. If you're watching with someone else you'll sometimes even pause it with that logo on the screen waiting on whoever it is to come back. As I said extremely clever and they're manipulating us at every turn and it's something that's been proved you don't need to be conscious of for it to work.

Post Edited (Mon 11 Feb 09:38)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 10:30

Quote:

allparone, Mon 11 Feb 09:34

Quote:

MikeyLeonard, Mon 11 Feb 09:15

Yes you do. You may not think you are but you are. It's not something we're always conscious of.

The proof is above. Volvo was mentioned. They've done their job at that point. You will probably see these ads a dozen times during an hour long show. At the start of the ad break and when you sometimes whizz past it then you rewind it and see the logo again then you stop and play it and see it again. If you're watching with someone else you'll sometimes even pause it with that logo on the screen waiting on whoever it is to come back. As I said extremely clever and they're manipulating us at every turn and it's something that's been proved you don't need to be conscious of for it to work.

I can't remember a Volvo ad recently. Regardless it would never induce me to buy one. Ads are a waste of time and merely add costs to the item being advertised.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 10:33

I don't remember the volvo advert, it's because they sponsor the series, it's the last advert before the programme starts again... The 3 mins I've whizzed past I couldn't tell you anything about them.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 10:56

You don't have to actually consciously take these in. Your brain does that without you even trying. For example I've just went into my planner and the first thing with ads in is Grantchester that my wife recorded. I've rewound to the ad break and even rewinding through it at x30 I seen the following. BMW car and logo, amazon alexa product and logo, Barrhead travel logo and yakult yoghurt logo. You see the same things when you're doing the same. Your brain takes it in and you'll recognise these logos, companies, products etc. It doesn't mean you'll go out straight away and buy these products. You will buy some of them (everybody buys stuff all the time) and most of the time it's down to advertising why you choose a particular product. Adverts aren't designed to make you consciously think "I liked that advert so I'll buy the product". We are a lot smarter than we think. We take in a lot more information than we're conscious of and we use that information without even thinking about it a lot of the time.

Advertising is a waste of companies money? How do you know what you're buying without advertising? Genuine question btw.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 11:55

Quote:

allparone, Mon 11 Feb 10:56

You don't have to actually consciously take these in. Your brain does that without you even trying. For example I've just went into my planner and the first thing with ads in is Grantchester that my wife recorded. I've rewound to the ad break and even rewinding through it at x30 I seen the following. BMW car and logo, amazon alexa product and logo, Barrhead travel logo and yakult yoghurt logo. You see the same things when you're doing the same. Your brain takes it in and you'll recognise these logos, companies, products etc. It doesn't mean you'll go out straight away and buy these products. You will buy some of them (everybody buys stuff all the time) and most of the time it's down to advertising why you choose a particular product. Adverts aren't designed to make you consciously think "I liked that advert so I'll buy the product". We are a lot smarter than we think. We take in a lot more information than we're conscious of and we use that information without even thinking about it a lot of the time.

Advertising is a waste of companies money? How do you know what you're buying without advertising? Genuine question btw.

I go to a shop that sells what I am looking for. I check independent reviews online for large products. Make sure it does what I want it to do and then go out and check online and in-store for the best price. The make of the product is a side issue.

Post Edited (Mon 11 Feb 11:55)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 12:05

You're still doing this as a result of advertising in some form. You know which shop to go to because of advertising. You have found a product with the best price because of advertising. How do you know these products even exist without them being advertised?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 12:45

Quote:

allparone, Mon 11 Feb 12:05

You're still doing this as a result of advertising in some form. You know which shop to go to because of advertising. You have found a product with the best price because of advertising. How do you know these products even exist without them being advertised?

Because I am not stupid. I know TV's exist. I know shops exist. I know the internet exists. I know how to search on the internet. I do not need adverts to tell me any of this. If anything adverts will put me off buying certain products.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 12:52

You have this knowledge because these products are advertised to you on a daily basis. You know the names of these tv manufacturers because of marketing campaigns they have paid a lot of money for to make sure they reach as wide an audience as possible. You are searching on websites who are paid by said companies to advertise their products. It's not something to be mad about. Advertising is a great thing just don't think that it doesn't affect you because it obviously does.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 13:06

Absolute nonsense. I bought my TV, for instance, from a company you will never have heard of based on going into a shop. Never seen it advertised anywhere. I bought my mobile phone after researching and I have never seen an advert anywhere for the make I have.
TV advertising is pointless and easily ignored. All it does is increase the price of the product.
Even most of the furniture in house is because I walked passed a shop and saw something nice. I had never heard of the shop and can't recall it being advertised anywhere.
Advertising is bad and encourages people to buy overpriced goods they do not need.

Post Edited (Mon 11 Feb 13:09)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 13:28

I'm the complete opposite... I think tv in general is quite keech but I quite like some of the ads that are on just now.
Work that one out 😂

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 13:34

Without advertising innovation dies. So advertising is rather important :-)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 13:41

"I bought my TV, for instance, from a company you will never have heard of based on going into a shop."

I'm intrigued. Which make of TV and which shop?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 13:52

Quote:

allparone, Mon 11 Feb 13:41

"I bought my TV, for instance, from a company you will never have heard of based on going into a shop."

I'm intrigued. Which make of TV and which shop?

Actually ended up getting it online after seeing it in a shop. Cheaper and longer guarantee. British name. 4k smart TV. Excellent but it was a couple of years ago now.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 14:00

Quote:

Milos Drizzle, Mon 11 Feb 13:34

Without advertising innovation dies. So advertising is rather important :-)

Explain. You advertise to sell not innovate.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 14:05

How do you let people know what you've made unless you advertise it?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 14:32

Quote:

allparone, Mon 11 Feb 14:05

How do you let people know what you've made unless you advertise it?

I realise you need to advertise but there is far too much of it. Thankfully I do not feel influenced by it but many people are and get into lots of debt trying to keep up with the latest whatever.
There is also the problem of advertising to children which should be more regulated.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 16:44

Good point about putting pressure on people to buy the latest gadget. My point of this is what you've said about there being too much advertising as well. It's everywhere and even more so these days with the Internet. We're getting bombarded all day everyday. Derren Brown made a show a while back and it showed just how powerful it can be. Even billboards and signage that we can't consciously remember seeing had an effect on people's choices. I'm like you when it comes to large purchases like TV's, cars etc. I do my homework first (I weirdly enjoy reading and getting clued up on these things) but I'll bet with smaller, day to day items, we are far more susceptible to advertising and how it effects our choices.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 18:13

Quote:

moviescot, Mon 11 Feb 13:06

Absolute nonsense. I bought my TV, for instance, from a company you will never have heard of based on going into a shop. Never seen it advertised anywhere. I bought my mobile phone after researching and I have never seen an advert anywhere for the make I have.
TV advertising is pointless and easily ignored. All it does is increase the price of the product.
Even most of the furniture in house is because I walked passed a shop and saw something nice. I had never heard of the shop and can't recall it being advertised anywhere.
Advertising is bad and encourages people to buy overpriced goods they do not need.

Righty ho. So what succesful business are you running that has survived and grown without any advertising?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 19:09

I don't run any business. However, not all business bombard you with advertising. I accept you need to advertise but not to the extent that some do. Over advertising actually turns me off a brand and I would look elsewhere.

Post Edited (Mon 11 Feb 19:09)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 19:11

Quote:

allparone, Mon 11 Feb 16:44

Good point about putting pressure on people to buy the latest gadget. My point of this is what you've said about there being too much advertising as well. It's everywhere and even more so these days with the Internet. We're getting bombarded all day everyday. Derren Brown made a show a while back and it showed just how powerful it can be. Even billboards and signage that we can't consciously remember seeing had an effect on people's choices. I'm like you when it comes to large purchases like TV's, cars etc. I do my homework first (I weirdly enjoy reading and getting clued up on these things) but I'll bet with smaller, day to day items, we are far more susceptible to advertising and how it effects our choices.

What sort of day to day items would you feel ads effect more?
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net