DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 I am Victor Meldrew
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 13:30

Out for a run at 9 am today. Heavy sleet, but I well wrapped up and had my water proofs on. Not feeling too adventurous, so decided to do some laps around the Rex Park at the back of wee ASDA. 5 kids, maybe aged 10-11, with jackets, bare-headed, no gloves, pushing one another on an ASDA trolley. Oh well, whatever rocks your boat, I thought.

This continued for about 25 mins and then the kids decided they'd had enough and started to push the trolley towards the burn, so I shouted at them stop it. Amazingly they did. I then told them that ASDA put their prices up to buy new trolleys when they have to replace the ones that end up in the burn and that affects everyone who shops there. They muttered an apology and shuffled off.

They're just kids and maybe don't know any better, but I ask myself, what are their parents doing? Do they know where their kids are, how inadequately they were dressed and what they were getting up to?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: I am Victor Meldrew
Topic Originator: richie5401  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 13:40

Smoking crack(obviously)no,no and don't really care;)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 14:13

Ah... But is there no a guy in a van that gets paid by all the supermarkets in the Dunfermline and surrounding area to collect wayward trollies and bring them back?
So in a way... They are supporting a local small business.... Kind of 😂

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 14:38

Quote:

widtink, Sun 10 Mar 14:13

Ah... But is there no a guy in a van that gets paid by all the supermarkets in the Dunfermline and surrounding area to collect wayward trollies and bring them back?
So in a way... They are supporting a local small business.... Kind of 😂

There's at least half a dozen trolleys in the burn on any given day, Widdy, so if there is a guy, he's no earning his wages. Did you know that £25m was spent in rerouting the burn as a flood prevention measure? A former Pars player, who has lived in nearby Rosebank for 40 years told me that some houses in old Brucefield were only flooded once in all the time he's lived there - and that was due to trolleys snagging assorted rubbish to form a dam.

It would have been a damn sight cheaper to pay a guy in a van..... Oh, wait a minute.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 16:59

Is there not certain stores that you can't take the trolley too far from the store as the wheels lock? Or something like that?
I'm sure there is... Maybe all stores should start using that system

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 18:13

Know that area well. Used to live in the first prefab along Mill Road past the E&B factory beside the burn. Lived there in the mid 50’s for a couple of years.
Mill Road is now just a footpath running parallel to Asda car park.

Remember one flood from the burn that was lapping a couple of inches below the bottom of the door which was about 3 feet off the ground. Had to get a piggyback to get in!

Flooding was always a threat there.

Post Edited (Sun 10 Mar 18:45)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 22:19

None of us were wee knobbers in our youth of course.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 12:33

visited Livi Parkrun recently and was pretty shocked at the number of dumped trolleys that were in the water/embankments. The core volunteer team spent a period of time doing a litter pick around the route course a few days after taking a good 3/4 hours.

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 16:34

''None of us were wee knobbers in our youth of course.''

Of course some of us were, AAPS. If you read my posts back, you'll see I wasn't having a go at the kids, but their parents.

Would you let your 10-11 year old kid go out in cold, wind and heavy sleet, without appropriate clothing, at 9 o'clock on a Sunday morning? I wouldn't even allow them to walk to school in these conditions, never mind letting them out to play.

See what you've done now? I'm turning into Victor Meldrew again. :-(

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 17:02

I had a hoose key at 11 and could come and go as i pleased as long as I got up in time for school.
I was told if I ever brought the polis to the door things would change...
Not saying I was a Saint... But I knew where the line was and I never crossed it.
So there.
I only went home when I was hungry or tired.
Mind you... That was the early 80s... A loooooonnnnnggggg time ago.
I've lost my train of thought now...what was the question again?
And has anyone seen my slippers? 🤔

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 17:43

Very similar. Never had a key though. Back door was never locked so just come and go as I pleased.
Again warned about police at the door. Never in that much bother. Now my brothers crossed that line a few times. 🤣
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 21:21

In my time very few crossed the line. No key latch kids as mothers were mostly at home as was the norm.
Anyone who stepped out of line was dealt with at school or given a clip around the ear at home.
There was respect for people in authority: police, teachers etc.

National Service also kept older teenagers off the streets and gave them a start in life.

Clearly a generation thing. Such is progress.😢
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 09:20

Being brought up in the 50/60's most of the male parents were ex forces and had served during the war. Discipline & respect was something that had been instilled in their upbringing and was passed down to their families.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 10:24

Which they then obviously never passed down onto their families then?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 11:10

I certainly passed it on, 3 kids working in good well paid jobs, with respect to authority.
Their children being brought up with the same values.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 12:08

That's excellent and a credit to yourself but obviously large swathes of your generation didn't.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: richie5401  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 12:14

Aren't some kids just bad(and determined to be so),despite parents best efforts?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 12:30

Quote:

richie5401, Tue 12 Mar 12:14

Aren't some kids just bad(and determined to be so),despite parents best efforts?

Definitely. I know kids from the same family who are like chalk and cheese. All brought up the same but completely different attitudes and behaviour to their siblings. Kids peers can be a far bigger influence than their parents in my experience.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 13:02

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Tue 12 Mar 12:08

That's excellent and a credit to yourself but obviously large swathes of your generation didn't.

Thank you!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net