DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 School Holidays
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 4 Apr 18:17

I see Fife schools have finished up today for the Spring Holidays. They used to be called the Easter holidays and would be moved around so that Easter was in the middle of the two week break. Now they tend to be in the first two weeks of April. They're a little later this year and there's an extra day, too.

Schools go back on 22nd April - Easter Monday. With many working parents who might have some time off then, why not have the schools in tomorrow and give them Easter Monday off?

I'd imagine those who draw up school openings and closures are not working for peanuts and it should not have been difficult to arrive at such an obvious and sensible conclusion.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: School Holidays
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Thu 4 Apr 19:31

Quote:

GG Riva, Thu 4 Apr 18:17

I see Fife schools have finished up today for the Spring Holidays. They used to be called the Easter holidays and would be moved around so that Easter was in the middle of the two week break. Now they tend to be in the first two weeks of April. They're a little later this year and there's an extra day, too.

Schools go back on 22nd April - Easter Monday. With many working parents who might have some time off then, why not have the schools in tomorrow and give them Easter Monday off?

I'd imagine those who draw up school openings and closures are not working for peanuts and it should not have been difficult to arrive at such an obvious and sensible conclusion.

School is not a babysitter. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Apr 19:36

To be fair it's not the school holidays that move about a lot it's Easter. In 2018 Easter was 1 April. This year it's 22 April. It's all to with the first full moon after the spring equinox.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Apr 19:39

I think you may have misunderstood my post, moviescot. It is quite likely that a lot of kids will miss school on Easter Monday, as their parents may arrange a holiday. Keeping schools open tomorrow instead of Easter Monday would have made good sense, imo.

Eta. I know Easter moves about a lot. The holiday used to mirror that, in deference to religious belief. Now that religion is losing its hold on society, these holidays have been renamed and more for less stabilised so that some years when Easter has been as late as this year, it has actually come after the holiday has finished.

Post Edited (Thu 04 Apr 19:44)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Thu 4 Apr 20:30

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Apr 20:33

Quote:

GG Riva, Thu 4 Apr 19:39

I think you may have misunderstood my post, moviescot. It is quite likely that a lot of kids will miss school on Easter Monday, as their parents may arrange a holiday. Keeping schools open tomorrow instead of Easter Monday would have made good sense, imo.

Eta. I know Easter moves about a lot. The holiday used to mirror that, in deference to religious belief. Now that religion is losing its hold on society, these holidays have been renamed and more for less stabilised so that some years when Easter has been as late as this year, it has actually come after the holiday has finished.[/quote

That's fair enough but we arrange our holidays around the school holidays. Surely that's the way to do it. Easter Monday holiday is just a bonus day for parents to recuperate this year. Provided of course you actually get the holiday.

Post Edited (Thu 04 Apr 20:33)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Thu 4 Apr 20:50

You're not alone in thinking that GG, Edinburgh schools finish up tomorrow and don't go back until a fortnight on Tuesday.

Possibly some selective memory going on there. I remember going back on Easter Monday in the late 70s/80s.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 4 Apr 22:27

Easter Monday isn't a public holiday in Scotland.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Thu 4 Apr 23:43

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bouncer  
Date:   Thu 4 Apr 23:49

Good Friday a normal working day for me but is a BH for my colleagues down south.
The trade off is we get the 2nd January which works for me.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Apr 08:14

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Thu 4 Apr 22:27

The point I was trying to make and failed miserably, is that this year, the Spring Holidays could have started and finished a day later in Fife, in line with Edinburgh schools, as has been pointed out by another poster on this thread.

I don't know why some senior education manager failed to arrive to a similar conclusion. I'm retired, so I've no axe to grind.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Apr 09:03

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 5 Apr 08:14

Quote:

The point I was trying to make and failed miserably, is that this year, the Spring Holidays could have started and finished a day later in Fife, in line with Edinburgh schools, as has been pointed out by another poster on this thread.

I don't know why some senior education manager failed to arrive to a similar conclusion. I'm retired, so I've no axe to grind.

Aberdeen holidays are already one week old.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Fri 5 Apr 09:37

Quote:

moviescot, Fri 05 Apr 09:03

Quote:

Quote:

So are Glasgow and the Falkirk area. They are off the Easter weekend as well though (Friday Monday).

I agree with GG. They should have moved the extra day (today) to Easter Monday. I understand the holidays are when they are so that terms are of equal lengths but changing one day surely wouldn’t cause an issue. Fife schools are also different as they have one week less in the summer and one week more in October.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Apr 15:05

Quote:

allparone, Fri 5 Apr 09:37

Quote:

moviescot, Fri 05 Apr 09:03

Quote:

Quote:

So are Glasgow and the Falkirk area. They are off the Easter weekend as well though (Friday Monday).

I agree with GG. They should have moved the extra day (today) to Easter Monday. I understand the holidays are when they are so that terms are of equal lengths but changing one day surely wouldn’t cause an issue. Fife schools are also different as they have one week less in the summer and one week more in October.

Aberdeen have 2 weeks in October as well. With 6 weeks in summer although they are consulting on changing that.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Apr 16:13

The two week October holiday used to be know as the "Tattie Holidays",when school children were employed to help out with the potato harvest. and were confined to regions North of the Tay. This tradition gradually spread south to cover all of Scotland. Fife started with one week in the 70s, which came off the summer holidays. I remember one lad telling me he'd earned £90 during that week. Good on you, I thought. He must have picked several tonnes of spuds to earn that much. My take home pay at the time was £120...... per month. ☹

Post Edited (Fri 05 Apr 18:23)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Fri 5 Apr 22:25

I think the only holidays that Scottish schools share are Christmas

Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: calpar  
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 01:25

Uproar in oor village, suits who ?
Edimburg
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 18:11

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 5 Apr 16:13

The two week October holiday used to be know as the "Tattie Holidays",when school children were employed to help out with the potato harvest. and were confined to regions North of the Tay. This tradition gradually spread south to cover all of Scotland. Fife started with one week in the 70s, which came off the summer holidays. I remember one lad telling me he'd earned £90 during that week. Good on you, I thought. He must have picked several tonnes of spuds to earn that much. My take home pay at the time was £120...... per month. ☹

Tattle holidays were in Fife in the fifties and sixties and we were lucky if we made much more than a pound in the week.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 19:03

You must have been at the wrong farm. I was doing tatties in early 70's and made about a fiver a day. Managed to buy a set of golf clubs after 2 weeks. I was knackered though. Only did it for 2 years or so. Can't remember what I spent my second years earnings on.

Post Edited (Sat 06 Apr 19:04)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 19:25

"The two week October holiday used to be know as the "Tattie Holidays",when school children were employed to help out with the potato harvest. and were confined to regions North of the Tay. This tradition gradually spread south to cover all of Scotland."

All of Scotland GG ?

I don't ever mind a two week October schools break in Clacks, Stirling or Falkirk areas, either as individual authorities, or as Central Region.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 19:32

Isn't that why GG said gradually spread south? I'm guessing that back in your day VE it hadn't yet reached the central region but it has been that way for a number of years now.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 22:24

"..... but it has been that way for a number of years now."

Not so at all - Clacks, for example, has only one week in October, several others likewise going by this guide.

https://www.mygov.scot/school-term-holiday-dates/

The two week October break is far from universal in Scotland.

Post Edited (Sat 06 Apr 22:25)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Apr 23:07

That's very strange. Falkirk Council lists only one week at Easter and one week in October.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mr Mac  
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 00:17

Falkirk is definitely a fortnight at Easter.... then back for 4 days and off for Easter Bank Holidays.

Easter holiday
Monday, 1st April 2019 - Friday 12th April 2019
Good Friday; Friday, 19th April 2019
Easter Monday; Monday, 22nd April 2019

1 week (and an in-service day) in October.

Post Edited (Sun 07 Apr 00:18)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 08:13

I'll take your word for it Mac but that's not what the council website says.
Edited to add, I don't doubt you're right Mac btw.

Post Edited (Sun 07 Apr 09:01)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mr Mac  
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 09:19

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 7 Apr 08:13

I'll take your word for it Mac but that's not what the council website says.
Edited to add, I don't doubt you're right Mac btw.

Their website is a bit like their football team; rubbish.
My two kids are definitely off for a fortnight......
The info is lifted from the page for the 2018/19 school year.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 12:27

Fife schools only introduced the 2 week October break a few years ago. Falkirk and glasgow are still a week. It was always 1 week when I went to school in Fife during the 80’s and 90’s.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 14:53

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sat 6 Apr 19:32

Isn't that why GG said gradually spread south? I'm guessing that back in your day VE it hadn't yet reached the central region but it has been that way for a number of years now.

Back in his day Walter Raleigh hadn't even introduced tatties to Britain yet.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 17:35

"Back in his day Walter Raleigh hadn't even introduced tatties to Britain yet."

He was still making bikes then.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 17:56

My oldest is 23 now and we've always taken our holidays in October during the school fortnight rather than in the summer, so we must have had it for a while now
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Apr 20:59

The two week October break has certainly been on the go for over ten years in Fife.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 11:20

From what I've been told - Fife had the single week some years ago. like nearly ever other local authority, but so many kids stayed off for a second week for the picking that Fife decided to extend it to accommodate the picking season.

Is there not a berry picking tradition in north Fife around the Cupar area ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 13:52

Quote:

veteraneastender, Mon 08 Apr 11:20

From what I've been told - Fife had the single week some years ago. like nearly ever other local authority, but so many kids stayed off for a second week for the picking that Fife decided to extend it to accommodate the picking season.

Is there not a berry picking tradition in north Fife around the Cupar area ?

I doubt that it was the picking that was the reason for the most recent change (early noughties). There weren’t many kids picking when I was at the school and that was a decade before the most recent change.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 14:06

The Tattie Holidays.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/remembering-the-tattie-holidays-1-4584053/amp
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 15:35

work college in Ayrshire and the schools are open for a total of 8 days in the month of april with the holiday 2 weeks then back then off for actual easter.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 18:17

I was a secondary school pupil in Fife in the late 60s. There were no tattie holidays then, but there was a week in the mid 70s when I started out as a teacher. I can't remember the year we went to 2 weeks in October by cutting a week from the summer holidays, but we were allowed to vote on it. I believe it was carried by a large majority. The attraction of being able to book holidays off peak was a big attraction. Of course it didn't take long for holiday companies to hike up prices.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 20:22

Fife Schools were off on Friday there because Good Friday falls during the holidays so it's essentially a day in lieu for that. It wouldn't be ideal having Easter Monday off as the first SQA exam is on the Thursday of that week - if Fife pupils also had Monday off I'd imagine there would be a huge number who wouldn't bother coming into school on the Tueaday and Wedneaday when last minute advice, additional support arrangements, etc. could be made. Of course if Easter was at a regular time, and the SQA Exams were over their old shorter period (the Study Leave and Exam diet time is a lot longer now because pupils from S4, 5 and 6 can all be sitting the same exam - in the past S4 pupils would go off first to do Standard Grades before the S5 and 6 pupils would go off for Highers and Advanced Highers) or if the number of mandated school days was changed from the current number then this could be avoided but it usually isn't a big problem. I for once am glad that Fife schools get 2 weeks at October when it comes but when we only get 2 days in February rather than the full week it doesn't feel quite so good!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net