DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Duolingo
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Thu 27 Jun 22:06

Great app this for learning new languages.

Learned a fair bit of French using it and got up to 21% fluent according to the owl. Personally I think that was a tad exaggerated.

Attempting Portuguese just now. Finding it difficult so far, the pronunciation especially but as I speak a fair bit of Spanish I am managing to muddle through.

Anyone else used/using it ?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Duolingo
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Thu 27 Jun 22:20

I do 20 mins or so a day of Spanish on it. Have done for a couple of years. It's good considering I've never paid a penny for it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Fri 28 Jun 09:13

Yeah I use it for Italian - it’s quite good the way it gamifies learning so you keep coming back and trying to progress

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 28 Jun 09:16

I do 10 mins a day on Italian, but that's in addition to Italian night school. Don't think it's good in isolation for actually going to a place and using the language, but for vocab and a bit of fun to keep the interest up.

The adverts are a bit annoying now and the price to remove them is extortionate for what it is

Post Edited (Fri 28 Jun 09:17)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParsAreTheLoveOfMyLife  
Date:   Fri 28 Jun 18:33

Started using it for Polish and it was ok to an extent. Good for a holiday, but not really for conversational stuff
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Fri 28 Jun 18:55

I use Mr sheen for Polish 😅

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 28 Jun 18:57

He's appearing here every night folks.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Fri 28 Jun 19:35

No applause necessary... Just throw money 🤣

Admin
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sat 29 Jun 08:51

"I do 10 mins a day on Italian, but that's in addition to Italian night school. Don't think it's good in isolation for actually going to a place and using the language, but for vocab and a bit of fun to keep the interest up."

Where do you do night school? I see Queen Anne have a few sessions but I'm not sure if I want to do it (and I also dont know what level I'm at - I can hold a stilted conversation but I wouldn't say I'm fluent). Duolingo is good though. It's good doing it in reverse (e.g. learning English in Italian mode) to mix things up a bit.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 30 Jun 22:50

Kelty, the Queen Anne lessons are pretty good (and very reasonable). The woman that runs them is native Italian and a lot of fun.
Your other (more expensive) options are Edinburgh University night school and the Italian cultural institute.
https://iicedimburgo.esteri.it/iic_edimburgo/en/imparare_italiano/i_corsi_di_lingua/[/URL]
They will all be able to do an assessment to find your level (unless it's beginners obviously) so you shouldn't find yourself repeating to much stuff you already know
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net